White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They must have had a SNEAKING suspicion that Lee wasn't going to be able to hit over .150 again and that all the defensive gaps (other than throwing arm strength/release) were going to be a massive detriment to the young pitching.

THAT and the fact that going into the season with a relatively older catcher in Stassi coming off an a "missing" season probably wasn't the greatest strategy...especially if you look at average number of games caught.

White Sox better just move back their outfield fences to the deepest Old Comiskey distances ever recorded...

Who cares? Play the kid.

• Like 2

Stassi has 102, 88 and 87 and 82 games played (the four highs, one from 2022) during his most productive career seasons

31 GP in 2020, so basically half again.

Will be 33.

Just very skeptical of an aging catcher coming off nearly a full season off at that age, but maybe we'll all be shocked.

But it seems they realized that Lee wasn't a realistic option for the start of the year...wanting to avoid getting TOTALLY buried in the standings like 2023.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Who cares? Play the kid.

This stupid storyline of attempting to compete on the fly keeps colliding with reality...that youngsters aren't good enough or simply aren't ready.

Of course, Getz has NOTHING invested into Lee's success, personally.

But if that's the plan, you have to sign a legit RFer and a legit back end of the bullpen option and someone with more pop in the middle infield.

It's all pretty much academic if this is the 2024 rotation on the field (current roster), MINUS Cease.

It also is a bit ironic that the guy who COULDN'T beat out 2023 Maldonado is still buried behind him on the very worst team in baseball entering the season, going from Houston, arguably the most successful of the past decade, along with LAD.

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

I can certainly see how Garfein keeps his job at Pravda....uh I mean NBCS Chicago. 

I don't think Maldonado will actually provide much if any of what Chuck lays out. How much life do his legs still have at 37? Feels more like a mentor presence that should rarely play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think this one of two things:

1. Stassi is more of a wild card than many of us think and they won’t to rely on him heading into the season
  2. Dylan Cease is going to be traded for young, major league ready arms and there is no bandwidth for a developing game caller

I think both of these make sense.  The Braves are paying for almost all of Stassi’s salary.  The Sox literally acquired him for a minimum salary price.  #2 aligns with the rumors that the Sox are looking for a big pitching return, which is going to be annoying if they don’t get two positional prospects back for Cease.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yeah but they're gonna throw some serious leather.  

And to what end?  All of these great gloves can’t hit and they are all older vets that will not be a part of any winning Sox team.  So what is the goal here?

Worry about developing defense in your own minor league system.  What does acquiring a bunch of old veterans on short-term deals accomplish?  So Getz can say, “hey look, I improved our team defense!” in only one offseason?  All of these guys will be gone before the next contending Sox team arrives.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think this one of two things:

1. Stassi is more of a wild card than many of us think and they won’t to rely on him heading into the season
  2. Dylan Cease is going to be traded for young, major league ready arms and there is no bandwidth for a developing game caller

This makes sense, except Maldonado is probably done as a productive player and won't be helping much on the field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yeah, I seem to remember him being pretty awful defensively last season.

He was terrible, but once you’ve been declared a solid fielding veteran catcher, old time baseballers never bother to reassess that. It was Dusty’s problem last year and although everyone here understood what Dusty had brought, there was legit frustration because Dusty’s love for Maldonado hurt the team.

Getz has done some things so far that I wouldn’t call obvious mistakes. This is the kind of classic, old school, baseball stupid mistakes I expected.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He was terrible, but once you’ve been declared a solid fielding veteran catcher, old time baseballers never bother to reassess that. It was Dusty’s problem last year and although everyone here understood what Dusty had brought, there was legit frustration because Dusty’s love for Maldonado hurt the team.

Getz has done some things so far that I wouldn’t call obvious mistakes. This is the kind of classic, old school, baseball stupid mistakes I expected.

The Astros decided to dump Maldonado for Caratini.  That’s pretty much all that anyone needs to know.  But I’m sure Getz is right over the Astros, haha.

• Thanks 1