Tigers Signing Flaherty

CWSpalehoseCWS

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

100%. Screw the Orioles unless we are getting two of Mayo/Cowser/Kerjstad/Basallo plus more

I see too many posts by fans suggesting what I consider to be really light return packages for Cease

Although it makes sense to deal him, the Sox can refuse to trade him unless they get exactly what they want in return. 

I rightfully want a king's ransom. Why should we be considering less than the Luis Castillo trade when Cease has two full seasons of control?

Castillo had a slightly longer period of dominance though comps aren't far off.  Was also traded at off peak value.

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Well, if the Tigers are spending money, I’m glad they’re spending money on players like this.

12/15/23 Cot’s Contracts AL Central Standings:

1. $119M Minnesota
  2. $118M Chicago
  3. $92M Detroit
  4. $92M Cleveland 
  5. $88M Kansas City

Chicago goes down to $96M if they dump both Cease and Eloy. 

All five receive MLB common revenues (National TV and MLB.com = $103M in 2023).

I believe Detroit and the Sox are the only two in this group which do not also receive tens of millions in revenue sharing, though I don’t believe either Chicago or Detroit pays in a significant amount into the revenue sharing fund.

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

12/15/23 Cot’s Contracts AL Central Standings:

1. $119M Minnesota
  2. $118M Chicago
  3. $92M Detroit
  4. $92M Cleveland 
  5. $88M Kansas City

Chicago goes down to $96M if they dump both Cease and Eloy. 

All five receive MLB common revenues (National TV and MLB.com = $103M in 2023).

I believe Detroit and the Sox are the only two in this group which do not also receive tens of millions in revenue sharing, though I don’t believe either Chicago or Detroit pays in a significant amount into the revenue sharing fund.

And the Pohlad Family in MN is worth roughly $4 billion.

Reinsdorf is a lot closer to revenue sharing territory (personally) were it not for the Bulls.

12 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You're silly.

What's silly is dozens of pages of Orioles trade predictions for Cease, where there is little if any stomach for the Orioles to engage in that kind of financial commitment. Also don't see the Orioles with the pitching the Sox will want / need in return. I believe there is a far great chance Cease is not traded at all than he goes to Baltimore. Atlanta, the Dodgers, Rangers and Yankees are the four teams he will likely go to.

Wherever he goes, the Sox need to maximize their return, and not pull a Hahn taking the first offer possible so he can leave for three weeks of vacation in Michigan.