Josimar Cousin added to 40man, Luis Patiño DFA

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Patino was out of options, so he would have to be carried on the 26-man until he played his way off of it, then DFAed. 

There it is then. Thank you. I didnt see anyone else mentions his options unless I overlooked it. Not so dumb then as our wonderfully reactionary meatballs would have us think.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There it is then. Thank you. I didnt see anyone else mentions his options unless I overlooked it. Not so dumb then as our wonderfully reactionary meatballs would have us think.

Fair enough but there were other less worthy candidates who had less potential that could have been shown the door. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

Fair enough but there were other less worthy candidates who had less potential that could have been shown the door. 

If this was the old regime, I'd guess he wasn't enough of a "grinder" for KW's taste. Now with Bannister in the fold, I'd imagine they did thorough analysis.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

It's hard enough to figure out who the best prospects are . When you're trying to figure out who to keep and who not to keep among  bottom dwellers , options matter .Once he's on the 26 he would have to pitch extremely well with the Sox not to be DFA'd .  You don't really expect miracles from guys who can't throw strikes. The fact that people reacted 1st and did not even consider how many options he had left is more indicative of them being dumb than the actual move.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sure...but why even bother acquiring them in the first place?

I remember a time when we found guys like Damaso Marte because of roster crunches in other organizations.   

Except we should have the least amount of that as the least talented overall organization in baseball at the moment.

Honeywell another example.  The bullpen without Santos looks to be one of the very worst in the majors if you don't have a healthy Crochet ever again.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's hard enough to figure out who the best prospects are . When you're trying to figure out who to keep and who not to keep among  bottom dwellers , options matter .Once he's on the 26 he would have to pitch extremely well with the Sox not to be DFA'd .  You don't really expect miracles from guys who can't throw strikes. The fact that people reacted 1st and did not even consider how many options he had left is more indicative of them being dumb than the actual move.

It's not so much pitching extremely well (record doesn't matter one bit) as believing in someone's upside.

Remember how Giolito was basically the worst pitcher in baseball in the early part of his Sox career and then came out of it?

Who knows...if you're not inside that clubhouse.  But does Jessie Scholtens or Davis Martin really have any upside?  Trade or flip value?  Simply placeholders protecting younger pitchers who aren't ready from getting slaughtered?

I would like to think the goal at some point is to find the members of the 2026/27 starting rotation.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not saying he's the answer to anything. But he was a curious choice to DFA (I mean, Sammy Peralta is on the 40 man - that man was batting practice).  Patino just seemed like a great guy to give an extended try out to in the pen in 2024. 

I just don’t think he’s a huge loss. There was nothing impressive IMO in his short look. You can find guys like him everywhere across the league. He’s really name and pedigree over results at this point in his career.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Says the biggest meatball of them all. Amazing. Who gives a s%*# if he had options? The Sox literally have like 3 big league relievers at this point. If he sucks, DFA him in May. It’s the same exact situation with Dievi Garcia. Post hype SP prospects with tons of cheap control are the exact type of guys the Sox should be trying in the pen in what appears to be a lost season. 75% of the time they turn into nothing, but that is how you find legit controllable pen pieces on the cheap.

I dont pretend to know more about Pitino than the Sox, so I am sure they had their reasons but there are at least 3 other guys in the 40 man with clearly less talent that you’d think would have come first. 

That said, it’s not like this is a big loss. Were talking about the very back of the 40 man divisions on one of the worst rosters in the game. it’s just a curious move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Says the biggest meatball of them all. Amazing. Who gives a s%*# if he had options? The Sox literally have like 3 big league relievers at this point. If he sucks, DFA him in May. It’s the same exact situation with Dievi Garcia. Post hype SP prospects with tons of cheap control are the exact type of guys the Sox should be trying in the pen in what appears to be a lost season. 75% of the time they turn into nothing, but that is how you find legit controllable pen pieces on the cheap.

I dont pretend to know more about Pitino than the Sox, so I am sure they had their reasons but there are at least 3 other guys in the 40 man with clearly less talent that you’d think would have come first. 

That said, it’s not like this is a big loss. Were talking about the very back of the 40 man divisions on one of the worst rosters in the game. it’s just a curious move.

Yeah, I’d rather take a look at an arm like that than Sammy Peralta.

• Thanks 1