The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Where is he in the Top 30?

Any reason to believe he could beat the odds and become a major league regular?

He's in the low 20s of Sox prospects. Most public scouting reports say 4th outfielder. He could be a glove-first centerfielder like all those Houston guys (Straw, etc.) I guess he could be more than that if the power develops, but kinda doubtful.

23 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

He's in the low 20s of Sox prospects. Most public scouting reports say 4th outfielder. He could be a glove-first centerfielder like all those Houston guys (Straw, etc.) I guess he could be more than that if the power develops, but kinda doubtful.

So he profiles as a pure CFer or more of a corner guy?

Obviously if he's lacking any one off the charts tool like James Beard speed...he better at least be an excellent defender in this new Getz system of "defense first."

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So he profiles as a pure CFer or more of a corner guy?

Obviously if he's lacking any one off the charts tool like James Beard speed...he better at least be an excellent defender in this new Getz system of "defense first."

He's a centerfielder. Lazy comp is Adam Engel. Maybe with less power but at least a grade higher hit tool.

I assume they are waiting to see what they get back from Cease before they sign any veteran for RF but given they need a 4th outfielder as well in 2024 I would think picking up Aaron Hicks would be a safe play.  Yankees are paying his salary so costs the league minimum.  He had OPS over 800 when he played late in 2023 for Baltimore.  If don't get MLB ready RF in Cease trade then he could be at least be serviceable defensively in RF if don't want to splurge on Duvall type and see if he can carry over his work with the bat from last year.  Otherwise he can be still very cost effective 4th OF.  

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 12:02 PM, Balta1701 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/2023-24-mlb-free-agents.html

Former Royals here include Whit, Soler, Brett Phillips

On 12/29/2023 at 12:12 PM, Balta1701 said:

Worth pointing out that as of now I have no idea who would be the backup CF on this roster either. Last year the lack of a backup CF led to Robert almost never getting a day off until they acquired Thompson midseason. I do continue to think that "pushing Robert to play 155 games" is pretty foolhardy, so someone who can play some CF like Phillips could be a better fit for the roster - assuming they're not finding 2 people and dumping Sheets.

Too bloody easy.

There are a ton of free agent outfielders available, and some of these guys are going to end up signing for a number we think the Sox should have spent.  I have no idea what they want to spend for a right fielder, but I'm sure it's not much.

Gallo
Pederson
Pham
Profar
Rosario
Duvall
Pillar
Calhoun

If the Sox have truly given up on Colas, and they have no intention of signing someone at least semi-serious, we're going to see a 162-game parade of Sheets, Phillips, and various other scrubs.

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

There are a ton of free agent outfielders available, and some of these guys are going to end up signing for a number we think the Sox should have spent.  I have no idea what they want to spend for a right fielder, but I'm sure it's not much.

Gallo
Pederson
Pham
Profar
Rosario
Duvall
Pillar
Calhoun

If the Sox have truly given up on Colas, and they have no intention of signing someone at least semi-serious, we're going to see a 162-game parade of Sheets, Phillips, and various other scrubs.

Or they just end up with Michael Taylor and their "super defense" vision coming closer if his asking price falls far enough.

Of course yet another former Royal, too.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Or they just end up with Michael Taylor and their "super defense" vision coming closer if his asking price falls far enough.

Of course yet another former Royal, too.

I’m sure they can’t afford Taylor.  He’s coming off a good season.  They like guys coming off career worst years.

Edited by fathom

I like Duvall strictly because he can adequately cover Robert for 20 days off in CF (10 rest games / 10 DH games). Gallo would be my strictly RF selection in terms of the White Sox budget.

There are only a few teams willing to spend more than a couple million with a need for RF. Los Angeles Angles and Seattle are the only two. Thinking the Sox can land either of my choices.

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I like Duvall strictly because he can adequately cover Robert for 20 days off in CF (10 rest games / 10 DH games). Gallo would be my strictly RF selection in terms of the White Sox budget.

There are only a few teams willing to spend more than a couple million with a need for RF. Los Angeles Angles and Seattle are the only two. Thinking the Sox can land either of my choices.

that's the job of the other Royal they just signed. 

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

that's the job of the other Royal they just signed. 

I agree at this point, but Duvall would be an upgrade offensively for those games. I'd be happy with Gallo, could be a nice feel good story with him launching bombs into the RF concourse. I'd be happy with Aaron Hicks for his flexibility, but can see him opting to retire vs. coming here.