Your Top 10 Off-season Additions (So Far!)

The Sox have added a league leading 11 players to their 40 man roster this off-season along with agreeing to notable minor league deals Brett Phillips and Chad Kuhl.  Time to rank these additions by hype level…here are mine!

The Top 10:

1. Erick Fedde, RHP
  2. Mike Soroka, RHP
  3. Jared Shuster, LHP
  4. Nicky Lopez, IF
  5. Max Stassi, CA
  6. Shane Drohan, LHP
  7. Martin Maldonado, CA
  8. Braden Shewmake, IF
  9. Paul DeJong, IF
  10. Chris Flexin, RHP

Just Missed:

• Chad Kuhl, RHP
  • Tim Hill, LHP
  • Brett Phillips, OF
  • Chuckle Robinson, CA
  • Mark Payton, OF
  • Haha 6
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Including additions by subtractions starting with regime change / Getz transition:

1. Rick Hahn
  2. Daryl Boston
  3. Mike Clevinger
  4. SP Mike Soroka
  5. SP Erick Fedde
  6. Kenny Williams
  7. Max Stassi
  8. Yasmani Grandal
  9. SP Shane Drohan
  10. SP Chris Flexen

Where’s Benetti on that list?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Top 10:

1. Erick Fedde, RHP
  2. Mike Soroka, RHP
  3. Jared Shuster, LHP
  4. Nicky Lopez, IF
  5. Max Stassi, CA
  6. Shane Drohan, LHP
  7. Martin Maldonado, CA
  8. Braden Shewmake, IF
  9. Paul DeJong, IF
  10. Chris Flexin, RHP

Just Missed:

• Chad Kuhl, RHP
  • Tim Hill, LHP
  • Brett Phillips, OF
  • Chuckle Robinson, CA
  • Mark Payton, OF

Fedde and Soroka, for sure. I think I'm more hyped on Drohan, and Maldonado could drop off the list.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maldonado isn’t top 10?  Who would you add in his absence?

1) Fedde

2) Bannister as director of pitching

3) Soroka

4) shuster

5) stassi

6) drohan

7) Lopez

? deJong 

9)  flexin

10) Drew Butera, catching coach

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Where’s Benetti on that list?

I rarely get Sox TV beyond the highlight clips, so I’m very happy Len and DJ are returning together in 2024. I hope they can get a solid broadcaster who fans enjoy, and not some connected crony hire.

The radio teams have nearly always been superior to the television crews, IMO, with the caveat Harry and Jimmy had a dual radio / tv broadcast back in the day.

@WestEddy- I should have added Bannister to my top ten. I’ll slot him 6th, and remove Grandal to accommodate.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I should have added Bannister to my top ten. I’ll slot him 6th, and remove Grandal to accommodate.

Bannister should probably be first on my list. It's a clear step in the right direction for the organization. While some of the AAA signings and bullpen guys are yawners, I think Maldonado is the only signing I don't like. 

• Fire 1

Ya know what’s kind of terrifying? The White Sox now have way more pitching depth than they had when Rick Hahn was supposedly trying to compete. 2022, 2023 the plan for pitching depth was “pitchers never get hurt” and then “oh hey Cueto is available awesome”. It’s not good, but hell I can list like 8 guys who might actually be able to start! It’s confusing!

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Ya know what’s kind of terrifying? The White Sox now have way more pitching depth than they had when Rick Hahn was supposedly trying to compete. 2022, 2023 the plan for pitching depth was “pitchers never get hurt” and then “oh hey Cueto is available awesome”. It’s not good, but hell I can list like 8 guys who might actually be able to start! It’s confusing!

It is a different approach. I feel like we swapped a little quality for quantity. In hindsight that would have been better the last few years. But like you, it is a bit confusing in my mind if it's the way to win a playoff series.

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox have added a league leading 11 players to their 40 man roster this off-season along with agreeing to notable minor league deals Brett Phillips and Chad Kuhl.  Time to rank these additions by hype level…here are mine!

The Top 10:

1. Erick Fedde, RHP
  2. Mike Soroka, RHP
  3. Jared Shuster, LHP
  4. Nicky Lopez, IF
  5. Max Stassi, CA
  6. Shane Drohan, LHP
  7. Martin Maldonado, CA
  8. Braden Shewmake, IF
  9. Paul DeJong, IF
  10. Chris Flexin, RHP

Just Missed:

• Chad Kuhl, RHP
  • Tim Hill, LHP
  • Brett Phillips, OF
  • Chuckle Robinson, CA
  • Mark Payton, OF

If the Charlotte Knights were my main team I'd be so stoked for the season to begin.:headbang Then crushed to discover those guys are heading north. :banghead:

:gosox3:

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It is a different approach. I feel like we swapped a little quality for quantity. In hindsight that would have been better the last few years. But like you, it is a bit confusing in my mind if it's the way to win a playoff series.

I would say that the failure to do this the last couple years was a mistake that was obvious at the time. Get a Chad Kuhl or two, bury them at Charlotte, and at least you have an option in May when Kopech is on the IL, Giolito has Covid, and Lynn has a bum leg. Somehow Hahn never did this.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would say that the failure to do this the last couple years was a mistake that was obvious at the time. Get a Chad Kuhl or two, bury them at Charlotte, and at least you have an option in May when Kopech is on the IL, Giolito has Covid, and Lynn has a bum leg. Somehow Hahn never did this.

Agreed. I wonder if they could have done that without giving up a Giolito, Lynn, or other MLB roster spot and creating another hole. Either because of payroll or needing to trade. 

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Agreed. I wonder if they could have done that without giving up a Giolito, Lynn, or other MLB roster spot and creating another hole. Either because of payroll or needing to trade. 

Yes, you can always sign swingman type guys to minor league deals with incentives. That Hahn never did this was baffling. Hell, some of those types of guys were key in them getting to 90 wins once rather than 0 times in Hahn’s reign -Brian Goodwin and Jake Lamb. Weren’t used well by LaRussa, but better than “I have no idea who is playing LF today let’s try our 1B”.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I thought this yesterday lol it’s not good depth but it’s depth.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Bannister should probably be first on my list. It's a clear step in the right direction for the organization. While some of the AAA signings and bullpen guys are yawners, I think Maldonado is the only signing I don't like. 

I’m glad they brought in Bannister, restored the catcher coach position, hopefully Drew Butera and the veterans can develop the young catchers. Matt Wise and Marcus Thames and the others should help as well.

I don’t believe they are done, will like to have a final Top 10 between Getz hire and Opening Day, including international signings such as Herrera and Profar, and if Cease is traded. I’m hoping they wait until July unless they get what Getz is holding out for.

Also want to enjoy 2024, so a RF and a couple other invites may help as well.

• Like 1

1. Fresh coat of handrail paint at GRF

2. Beggars pizza multi-year contract

3. Anticipated Promotional releases including a Fedde Krueger Bobblehead

4. New play by play guy probably wont do a nationwide jingle

5. Moncada reporting to spring training in the "best shape of his life" op ed

6. Ohtani's dirty underwear obtained by spring training equipment manager

7. "Be Royal" team mantra sign installed in locker room

8. Defensive WAR scoreboard live tracker addition at Getz request

9. Soroka

10. 3rd Dog day added to the calendar

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

1. Fresh coat of handrail paint at GRF

2. Beggars pizza multi-year contract

3. Anticipated Promotional releases including a Fedde Krueger Bobblehead

4. New play by play guy probably wont do a nationwide jingle

5. Moncada reporting to spring training in the "best shape of his life" op ed

6. Ohtani's dirty underwear obtained by spring training equipment manager

7. "Be Royal" team mantra sign installed in locker room

8. Defensive WAR scoreboard live tracker addition at Getz request

9. Siroka

10. 3rd Dog day added to the calendar

9. Sounds close enough to Mike Sirotka it will fool old school fans or make them believe it's actually his son.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 9:26 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

The Chuckster is an early fan favorite, but he just missed for me.

I'm not gonna lie...I'm more than a little upset with myself for missing this acquisition.....miss a little Soxtalk, miss a lot!!!

• Haha 1