Crochet preparing to be starter

Whisox05

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, bmags said:

he's freakin incredible.

This is exactly why I was pounding the table for him in 2020 and i was excited af that he fell to them. If not for Covid he might have been a 1-1 candidate. 

It's really a shame that injuries and Hahn screwed this up, and he will be spending the majority of his career on another team. Sox gonna Sox. 

Rick Hahn squandered an ace. 

It's also very clear he's a better starter than reliever. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It was a crime to put Crochet in the bullpen.  Idiots

Funny tho how many on here said when they were moving him back to starting in January  wasn't going to last long and will be back to pen. He's become the sox best starter and one of tops in league and should get a ton back. 

3 hours ago, Whisox05 said:

Funny tho how many on here said when they were moving him back to starting in January  wasn't going to last long and will be back to pen. He's become the sox best starter and one of tops in league and should get a ton back. 

This remains to be seen. He will be in the bullpen most of the second half of the season.

44 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This remains to be seen. He will be in the bullpen most of the second half of the season.

No team is going to be trading for him as idea he moves to pen. Just going to limit is work load as a starter 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Whisox05 said:

Even Chuck and Ryan on the latest Soxtalk Podcast were laughing at themselves for recommending Crochet transition as a starter in Charlotte.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I still think it would have been easier to do that in the minors to open the year (shorter starts, easier to skip, gain another year of control).

I agree with with s2k5 for thinking they’re pumping him up for a trade and don’t really care about how this would effect him later.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

50 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

No team is going to be trading for him as idea he moves to pen. Just going to limit is work load as a starter 

I bet he is in the bullpen after the AS break for most of the second half.

40 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I still think it would have been easier to do that in the minors to open the year (shorter starts, easier to skip, gain another year of control).

I agree with with s2k5 for thinking they’re pumping him up for a trade and don’t really care about how this would effect him later.

I agree.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Again no acquiring team is going to bullpen him. Sox are going to ride him starting unless the don't trade him 

Edited by Whisox05

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ptatc said:

That remains to be seen also.I feel as if  I'm particularly adept at reading the terrain on topics I've paid close attention to.

It may be moot if he's traded however...

Crochet has repeated in several interviews since the start of the season that he thinks that his arm has responded well to being on a starting pitchers routine. He does not want to be used in a traditional relief pitcher's role.

If you consider "being in the bullpen"  as only getting work as an opener in order to maintain his routine between starts then yes he will be in the bullpen. So how others interpret what you mean by "being in the bullpen" is debatable. Care to clarify ?

I think the only other possibility is long relief but only every 5th or 6th day on a planned schedule.

I don't think he'd be open to doing it any other way.Nor do I think the Sox would ask him to to do a traditional relief pitchers type of role.

What they have done so far is working great and Crochet agrees and does not feel as if he's being abused. He's doing what he thinks is best for him.

You may consider it medical malpractice because they are not erring on the side of caution but everything they are doing with him now is the way Crochet wanted to do it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ptatc said:

That would be ridiculous. Just go with a six man rotation and cap him at 5 innings or so. Thorpe and Cannon don’t need their arms pitched off either.

he wasn’t injured as a starter. He was injured twice as a reliever.

Edited by GreenSox

I’ve been in the “limit him at 100 innings” camp.

that said, at this point you monitor his biomechanics. If you see any hint of a breakdown in mechanics, or start to see evidence of dips in velocity or spin rates, you shut him down to rest.

FWIW, this quote came from Jim Bowden based on two NL GMs with interest in Crochet.

That’s a great question, Robert. I asked two NL GMs who had interest in Crochet the same question and they both answered that if they were able to acquire him, which both believed would be difficult based on the return the White Sox would need to move him, they likely would use him as a reliever for the second half of the season, then stretch him back out at the end of September to give him a chance to start in the postseason.