Sox looking at building in South Loop

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's someone with a YouTube channel putting a 10 minute version of literally everything that has already been said negatively about the Sox and a new park since it came out that Jerry was looking for a new park.  I guess it is more compelling because it is on YouTube instead of print form or something. Nothing like a video where someone states over and over again that they are "concerned", over the "facts", but you it is "up to you to decide" what you think from their one sided video.  But be sure to subscribe so you can be concerned over more facts you can decide about in the future.

I can sum it up quickly so no one has to watch.

-The White Sox suck.

-People aren't going to White Sox games.

-New Comiskey was outdated when it opened and in a bad neighborhood.

-Jerry wants a new stadium.

-Jerry is asking for a lot of public money.

-Public reps aren't thrilled with the request.

Enjoy the rest of the 10 minutes I just saved you.

John Schriffin would call him a hater. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Schriffen seems like too nice of a guy to be doing this.  I think he’s just doing his evil lord’s bidding.

It’s funny how the pro-Benetti media people are the ones attacking Schriffen.  His call of the walk off was better than anything Benetti ever did here.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Dork?

Brodie Matthew Brazil (born April 3, 1981) is an American television broadcaster who has won 13 Regional Emmy Awards and nominated for 32.

download.jpg

I don't doubt it, but he 100% wrote that Wikipedia page.

He's a dude with a legit journalism career that knows he can try and game the youtube algorithm of CAPITALIZED WORDS LIKE CONCERNED, WORRIED, BAD, and DYNAMIC THUMBNAILS will garner him more cash.

He's probably great for Bay Area stuff. But this would be like asking KC Johnson's opinion on the Kansas City Chiefs' stadium situation.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s funny how the pro-Benetti media people are the ones attacking Schriffen.  His call of the walk off was better than anything Benetti ever did here.

I am going to say this outloud, but John is just an able and better looking Jason. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to say this outloud, but John is just an able and better looking Jason. 

He's not bad, and he's in a really tough spot, a rookie at this, lacking some baseball knowledge and a team's performance that hasn't made it easy. He's a little too gung ho for me at present, but I can see why he would be. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's not bad, and he's in a really tough spot, a rookie at this, lacking some baseball knowledge and a team's performance that hasn't made it easy. He's a little too gung ho for me at present, but I can see why he would be. 

Yes, as the new guy he has to be overly rah rah and cheerful, which comes across terribly when the team is having its worst start of all time.  He was kind of screwed either way.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's fine, and will be better when the team is.  His biggest problem isn't anything he is doing, it is fucking terrible baseball plus a terrible partner who doesn't do his own job.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, but have you ever seen John eat?? It's disgusting!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's fine, and will be better when the team is.  His biggest problem isn't anything he is doing, it is fucking terrible baseball plus a terrible partner who doesn't do his own job.

Stone Pony decided to go as silent on the broadcast about the same time as he went silent on Twitter.

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

I'm giving him leeway like I did with Bennetti. He's an announcer built for an exciting team, not...this.

The only thing I disliked about Jason was his lack of a home run call, which Schriffen definitely has. However, I cannot stand the "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND UP" at the moment. Probably cause it debuted in Spring Training?

The flip side is I loved Hawk (until the end) and Stacey King, so, again, giving the guy time.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Stone Pony decided to go as silent on the broadcast about the same time as he went silent on Twitter.

I don't spend a lot of time talking about it, but I have broadcast a TON of basketball (literally going back to 1993 when I started) as well as a lot of football (which I suck at) and a very few baseball games.  There is nothing harder to call than baseball.  Basketball is super easy as there is almost always something happening.  If you have even a halfways decent partner basketball is super straight forward.  Football is harder, but not too hard.  There is a lot of dead time, but there is a play going on every 30 or 40 seconds which gives you a lot to talk about.  Even if something isn't happening, you know something about to happen shortly.  Baseball is almost all dead time.  There is pitch to pitch action, but even that isn't a lot of description needed.  You wait for long periods of time for something to actually happen that gives you a chance to have something interesting to describe.  It is better now with a pitch clock, but still there is more dead air to fill than any other professional sport.  Your color guy has got to have a lot to say because they are the ones connecting the action together with the play by play guy.  They have to be a compelling story teller, a guy who can dig deep into bits of information in front of them and turn them into interesting bits between pitches.  With now three different PbP guys in Chicago with Steve Stone we see the same patterns emerging where Stone gives short, terse and minimalist answers to questions his PbP throws too him to keep him involved in the broadcast so that he doesn't have to talk the whole time.  Eventually the guys give up and starting doing their own thing to fill time instead of depending on Stone.  For Hawk it was more of his "Hawk" persona and turning himself into a characture of his own personality instead of his own work.  For Jason it was his goofy personality, his jokes to amuse himself, and leaning into any of the stuff surrounding the broadcast to fill time.  I have already seen the new guy starting to do some of the same goofy stuff to fill air.  Hell Steve had zero respect for even Harry Carry and treated him the same way he has treated all of his Sox partners, as if they weren't worthy of his help.

Schriffen is an equal-parts hodgepodge of:

• nice person
  • ultra-enthusiastic “homer”
  • devoid of historical baseball knowledge, game-related context, and insight; he’s neither an ex-player nor a long-time fan

It will all improve in time (several seasons’ worth at the least). 

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't spend a lot of time talking about it, but I have broadcast a TON of basketball (literally going back to 1993 when I started) as well as a lot of football (which I suck at) and a very few baseball games.  There is nothing harder to call than baseball.  Basketball is super easy as there is almost always something happening.  If you have even a halfways decent partner basketball is super straight forward.  Football is harder, but not too hard.  There is a lot of dead time, but there is a play going on every 30 or 40 seconds which gives you a lot to talk about.  Even if something isn't happening, you know something about to happen shortly.  Baseball is almost all dead time.  There is pitch to pitch action, but even that isn't a lot of description needed.  You wait for long periods of time for something to actually happen that gives you a chance to have something interesting to describe.  It is better now with a pitch clock, but still there is more dead air to fill than any other professional sport.  Your color guy has got to have a lot to say because they are the ones connecting the action together with the play by play guy.  They have to be a compelling story teller, a guy who can dig deep into bits of information in front of them and turn them into interesting bits between pitches.  With now three different PbP guys in Chicago with Steve Stone we see the same patterns emerging where Stone gives short, terse and minimalist answers to questions his PbP throws too him to keep him involved in the broadcast so that he doesn't have to talk the whole time.  Eventually the guys give up and starting doing their own thing to fill time instead of depending on Stone.  For Hawk it was more of his "Hawk" persona and turning himself into a characture of his own personality instead of his own work.  For Jason it was his goofy personality, his jokes to amuse himself, and leaning into any of the stuff surrounding the broadcast to fill time.  I have already seen the new guy starting to do some of the same goofy stuff to fill air.  Hell Steve had zero respect for even Harry Carry and treated him the same way he has treated all of his Sox partners, as if they weren't worthy of his help.

It’s very strange.  Stone talks up all of his partners on Twitter but seemingly hazes and trolls them during broadcasts.  I know he has a dry sense of humor but he is pretty rough.  He acts like he is annoyed by his partner most of the time.  Maybe he thinks it’s a funny gimmick?  But he has done the same thing with Hawk, Benetti, and now Schriffen.

3 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

• nice person
  • devoid of historical baseball knowledge, game-related context, and insight; he’s neither an ex-player nor a long-time fan

I think Schriffen is definitely playing up the third bullet to get Stone to talk, but Stone is an old curmudgeon and doesn’t want to be prompted to respond unless he’s good and ready to.  ?

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Quite the story, I'll save everyone 10 minutes of reading by saying I'm happy for you!

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I've broadcast volleyball, men's and women's basketball, football and softball (never had the chance to do baseball0 and there is a lot of truth in the above post.

Different sports have different cycles and rhythms and a play by play broadcaster can only do so much. A good color analyst is worth their weight in gold.  

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s very strange.  Stone talks up all of his partners on Twitter but seemingly hazes and trolls them during broadcasts.  I know he has a dry sense of humor but he is pretty rough.  He acts like he is annoyed by his partner most of the time.  Maybe he thinks it’s a funny gimmick?  But he has done the same thing with Hawk, Benetti, and now Schriffen.

This.  He might not be the guy with the deepest baseball knowledge, but he also isn't baseball stupid and is trying to do what he can to involve Steve by asking him direct questions to keep him involved in the broadcast (what would you throw here, what is the batter looking for in this situation, tell me about what does on in a players mind when...) because he needs his partner to fill some time.  I promise you when these guys ask questions it isn't because they don't know the answer, it is because they want a short break about 95% of the time.

32 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

• nice person

He played baseball in college. I think he is asking questions to Stone just to get him to talk.

• Thanks 1