Sox looking at building in South Loop

On 7/30/2024 at 9:12 AM, southsider2k5 said:

If true, expect Steve to be retired this year, finally.

That, and someone mentioning him taking shots at Schriffen (sp?) during the game, tells me he’s halfway out the door.

20 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Rays stadium approved, story says they will pay 700 million plus any additional expenses if the project has over runs:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rays-new-stadium-approved-with-300-million-in-public-funding-the-best-neighborhood-ballpark/

Saw that yesterday and hope it works out for the Rays but they would have been better off with a new stadium near downtown Tampa but could never get a deal with done with Tampa.

• 5 weeks later...

McCaskey spoke to the media and the stadium issue came up. The Sox may want to take note:

There are other issues on the Bears’ agenda. McCaskey reiterated that the team is focused on building a new stadium downtown, just south of Soldier Field. Gov. J.B. Pritzker has said it will be “near impossible” for the Bears to gain approval for a stadium during the General Assembly’s veto session in November. McCaskey said the Bears are aiming to get on the agenda, but admitted it will be a challenge.

“We’re just trying to continue the discussions,” he said, “and trying to convince people that it will be great for the region, for the city and for the state.”

The Bears have pledged to commit $2 billion towards the project. They might have a new way to access some of that money — in a special meeting this week, NFL owners voted to allow teams to sell up to 10% of their franchise to private equity firms, which would remain passive investors.

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I get new and nicer but I'll be a little sad when the team moves. Although what happens to the Soldier Field site could change my feelings. 

Seems like it could be an awesome continuing concert hall and soccer stadium, but not enough people care about soccer.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I get new and nicer but I'll be a little sad when the team moves. Although what happens to the Soldier Field site could change my feelings. 

Now the Bears are moving? 🤔

It's not like they are going to Springfield or Champaign. They may go to Arlington Heights, or Burbank or Oak Lawn or Wheeling or where ever in the suburbs...big deal. It's all the Chicago area

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

“We’re just trying to continue the discussions,” he said, “and trying to convince people that it will be great for the region, for the city and for the state.”

Funny how they can't convince anyone beyond those few who stand to benefit. Enjoy Arlington Heights, assholes.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Funny how they can't convince anyone beyond those few who stand to benefit. Enjoy Arlington Heights, assholes.

It’s insane for Kevin Warren to keep on banging the drum for the museum/soldier field lot.  It’s over man, go own your own building where you aren’t beholden to the city park districts whims.  In a perfect restructured infrastructure world I could see it being a viable option but that space is just snarled with traffic on game days 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

If I had the money, I would make the new ballpark on the river happen. All that is stopping me is 3 or 4 billion dollars.

I’m with you.

with out combined money, all we need now is 3 to 4 billion dollars.

• Haha 3

With a new park we could scrape up money with naming rights.

Prozac Park or Zoloft Field. Whichever pharmaceutical company wins the naming rights also gets exclusive park distribution during all games.  

" This call to the bullpen is brought to you by Eli Lilly "

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

With a new park we could scrape up money with naming rights.

Prozac Park or Zoloft Field. Whichever pharmaceutical company wins the naming rights also gets exclusive park distribution during all games.  

" This call to the bullpen is brought to you by Eli Lilly "

No no no no your angle is all wrong here.  You name it Comiskey park because Jerry would hate that.  Not new comiskey, not old, simply Comiskey Park.  Because he couldn’t wait to take that name off lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No no no no your angle is all wrong here.  You name it Comiskey park because Jerry would hate that.  Not new comiskey, not old, simply Comiskey Park.  Because he couldn’t wait to take that name off lol

Veeck Field at Comiskey Park.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Yes, please move out there.  It'll be awesome.  Can't wait till they do.

The new White Sox stadium will happen. JR will have to pay for half of it. ($600 million) It will be a great thing for the franchise. The new White Sox stadium is a better deal for the city than the Bears stadium.

35 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The new White Sox stadium will happen. JR will have to pay for half of it. ($600 million) It will be a great thing for the franchise. The new White Sox stadium is a better deal for the city than the Bears stadium.

Don't bet your life on this happening. From a story this afternoon in the Sun-Times:

"While state lawmakers have all but rejected the possibility of dedicating any public money to a stadium — either for the Sox or the Bears, who want a new home of their own..." 

"But Gov. JB Pritzker and state legislative leaders have said there’s zero political will in Springfield to help Reinsdorf or the McCaskeys, who want $900 million from taxpayers for a new lakefront stadium. Both proposals are considered long shots to make any progress during the fall veto session."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/08/30/the78-white-sox-stadium-related-midwest

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

My guess (and yes, it's just a guess from some nobody), is that a new Sox stadium will eventually happen after JR is gone and that new Sox ownership will privately finance the ballpark itself while they get the state/city to cover infrastructure costs.  

I get that the infrastructure costs are not small potatoes and some could argue that's not a good use of taxpayer money.  But, I just think that kind of deal is sellable to politicians.  As far as private financing for the stadium itself, if the Rays in a smaller market can come up with $700M in private money and the small market Royals can commit to $1B in private financing for the new park they want, then I think a new Sox ownership group can somehow manage to come up with at least that amount because they believe this will enhance the value of the franchise long-term.  

And my opinion plus $6 will get you a small drink at Starbucks. 😉

Edited by 77 Hitmen