Sox looking at building in South Loop

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The government should not be caring about white Sox payroll on their big league staff.

They should be caring about the quality of jobs generated by the site, and Reinsdorf is notoriously cheap for what he pays his stadium staff. 

They should be caring about the tax revenue return created by developing this site and jobs created around it. So far, as far as I can tell, neither Reinsdorf nor Related have talked about this at all, and as a consequence the politicians are correctly saying that they need to make sure it is a “good deal for the taxpayers”. Reinsdorf apparently refuses to demonstrate this in any way, and instead expects that he can bully the state government with threats to move and bribes of river cruises.

Somehow it's a gamble that this utopia will hide the s%*# products JR puts out.  He wants a billion dollars but doesn't put any money in the team.  He is not one to be trusted.   If it's such a great investment he shouldn't have any problem using his own money.  What billionaires do best is trying to put the risk off on the taxpayer.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Somehow it's a gamble that this utopia will hide the s%*# products JR puts out.  He wants a billion dollars but doesn't put any money in the team.  He is not one to be trusted.   If it's such a great investment he shouldn't have any problem using his own money.  What billionaires do best is trying to put the risk off on the taxpayer.   

JR has acted the whole time like a classic 1980s bully rich person. In the 80s he threatened to leave and they caved, so he’s expecting that again.  He doesn’t realize the politicians no longer will cut a blank check for a stadium, but he has told his partners he can make it happen. The politicians are expecting him to put up a lot of money and give them a plan that is a good deal for the taxpayer, and for a blighted and undeveloped property in the city that can happen, but he won’t do that. He believes they will cave when they see his importance, and get this, no one in his employ has clearly explained to him that the world doesn’t work that way any more. The state won’t cave, nor should they, which sets up a standoff just like the A’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

JR has acted the whole time like a classic 1980s bully rich person. In the 80s he threatened to leave and they caved, so he’s expecting that again.  He doesn’t realize the politicians no longer will cut a blank check for a stadium, but he has told his partners he can make it happen. The politicians are expecting him to put up a lot of money and give them a plan that is a good deal for the taxpayer, and for a blighted and undeveloped property in the city that can happen, but he won’t do that. He believes they will cave when they see his importance, and get this, no one in his employ has clearly explained to him that the world doesn’t work that way any more. The state won’t cave, nor should they, which sets up a standoff just like the A’s.

This is where you need a Donald Trump to come in and get things done. The man builds the biggest most beautiful buildings of all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

JR doesn't want to put money up for players or a new stadium. So, the team can continue to stink, and hopefully the stadium never happens. He shouldn't get this windfall when his team will set the record for the worst record in MLB history.  Too bad he won't end up in jail with Trump.

• Love 1

It looks like this "pop up" ball field cost somewhere in the $500k range to create.  

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/exclusive-developer-pushes-for-white-sox-stadium-despite-lawmakers-doubts/3551841/

If they want to pitch this to private investors to make a privately financed new stadium a reality, then more power to them.  Otherwise, surely they must realize by now that they aren't getting public funding for a new baseball stadium that will enrich Sox ownership (other than money for infrastructure work at and around the site).      

Edited by 77 Hitmen

34 minutes ago, 77 Hitmen said:

It looks like this "pop up" ball field cost somewhere in the $500k range to create.  

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/exclusive-developer-pushes-for-white-sox-stadium-despite-lawmakers-doubts/3551841/

If they want to pitch this to private investors to make a privately financed new stadium a reality, then more power to them.  Otherwise, surely they must realize by now that they aren't getting public funding for a new baseball stadium that will enrich Sox ownership (other than money for infrastructure work at and around the site).      

Reinsdorf will keep trying for several more years. He will then, by 2026 or 2027, start saying how unfair the politicians have been for not giving support to his brilliant plan.

That is the setup the A's were at a couple years ago. The City was willing to spend some on a new stadium but expected the billionaire owner to do their part as well. The end result is a team in Sacramento's minor league park for 2 years before they move into a ballpark that even the new city doesn't want to actually pay for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 77 Hitmen said:

I think it’s highly likely that the Sox are so delusional, dysfunctional, and highly incompetent as an organization from top to bottom that they still honestly believe they will receive public funding for a stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I think it’s highly likely that the Sox are so delusional, dysfunctional, and highly incompetent as an organization from top to bottom that they still honestly believe they will receive public funding for a stadium.

Bold of you to overestimate Jerry.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

That wouldn't surprise me at all.  

State officials could tell him he needs to pay $10M toward a new stadium for every Sox loss this season.  He'd be on the hook for something like $1.2B by the time this train wreck is over in 10 days.  

On 9/18/2024 at 6:57 PM, zisk said:

Born into hard core Sox family in 1962. I wouldn't give JR 5 cents toward a new stadium.

I've been thinking about this. Jerry isn't going to get any state money for a new stadium. If they have any type of vote regarding taxpayers that will fail. Repeat: the state this time will let Jerry threaten to move. If he wants to move, fine. He'll be moving hopefully a 120 loss team so his Sox will live in infamy. This organization truly has hit rock bottom or will when loss No 120 comes. Please Jerry move to Nashville. Hopefully the commish will give the Sox an expansion franchise.

20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I've been thinking about this. Jerry isn't going to get any state money for a new stadium. If they have any type of vote regarding taxpayers that will fail. Repeat: the state this time will let Jerry threaten to move. If he wants to move, fine. He'll be moving hopefully a 120 loss team so his Sox will live in infamy. This organization truly has hit rock bottom or will when loss No 120 comes. Please Jerry move to Nashville. Hopefully the commish will give the Sox an expansion franchise.

I used to think that would happen, I don't believe that anymore, the Cubs would scream about territorial rights.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I used to think that would happen, I don't believe that anymore, the Cubs would scream about territorial rights.

That'd be sad if the Cubs got upset and blocked it. As long as there's Wrigley Field they are fine and close to capacity for attendance.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That'd be sad if the Cubs got upset and blocked it. As long as there's Wrigley Field they are fine and close to capacity for attendance.

Not always, just this year the place was half empty for Oakland. As late as 1983 they were closing the upper deck. 

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I am positive MLB would be smart enough to preserve both the territorial rights, plus the name and history of the White Sox, like the NFL did with Cleveland. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

WTTW's article about the Sox/Related Midwest PR event.  Kittle, Baines, Ozzie, and Bo Jackson were there.  

https://news.wttw.com/2024/09/17/white-sox-should-seek-private-funding-new-stadium-not-taxpayer-money-illinois-house

Any time someone talks about Ozzie keeping it real because he's ragging on Moncada or some other player: He simps for Jerry's money and is nothing more than a mouth piece and it's best to remember that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Any time someone talks about Ozzie keeping it real because he's ragging on Moncada or some other player: He simps for Jerry's money and is nothing more than a mouth piece and it's best to remember that.

Ozzie is out for Ozzie.  The sooner people realize that, the easier it is to understand Ozzie...,  Well it a metaphorical state, not in a verbal one.  That is still not really possible.

The last time I went to a Sox game, I used public transportation. I live right near a Rock Island line Metra station, so it was very easy. Public transportation is good!

edit: part of the development of The 78 involves having to reroute the Rock Island metra lines a little bit since they currently encroach on the east side of the site. I don't know if that's being done as part of the DPI project or if it'll be part of some later development.

Edited by StrangeSox

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I don't think it'll happen, either.  It's not because of territorial rights.  Chicago just isn't a 2-team city.  That we have 2 teams is a relic from a bygone era.  The only 2-franchise cities/metro areas now are NY and LA.  

I don't think the Sox will move, but if they do then people need to stop deluding themselves into thinking MLB will rush to bring a 2nd team back to Chicago.  They won't - they want to expand MLB into other markets, not have another team go up against the Cubs at a 40-year old generic ballpark.   If some fans don't care about the Sox leaving Chicago, fine - just don't pretend that another team will be waiting in the wings.

Also, if the argument is that MLB will want "American League" representation in Chicago, again that's sorely outdated.  Every team plays every other team each year now.  The meaning of AL and NL has been completely watered down.  MLB will be more likely to engage in radical realignment (which would obliterate the AL and NL for all intents and purposes) than move heaven and earth to bring a 2nd team back to Chicago.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 77 Hitmen said:

I don't think it'll happen, either.  It's not because of territorial rights.  Chicago just isn't a 2-team city.  That we have 2 teams is a relic from a bygone era.  The only 2-franchise cities/metro areas now are NY and LA.  

I don't think the Sox will move, but if they do then people need to stop deluding themselves into thinking MLB will rush to bring a 2nd team back to Chicago.  They won't - they want to expand MLB into other markets, not have another team go up against the Cubs at a 40-year old generic ballpark.   If some fans don't care about the Sox leaving Chicago, fine - just don't pretend that another team will be waiting in the wings.

Also, if the argument is that MLB will want "American League" representation in Chicago, again that's sorely outdated.  Every team plays every other team each year now.  The meaning of AL and NL has been completely watered down.  MLB will be more likely to engage in radical realignment (which would obliterate the AL and NL for all intents and purposes) than move heaven and earth to bring a 2nd team back to Chicago.   

We've been over this a million times.  Even taking one third of the Chicago metro area as the Sox base leaves a bigger empty market place than pretty much anywhere else in the US without a team, especially if expansion of two teams is inevitable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

The last time I went to a Sox game, I used public transportation. I live right near a Rock Island line Metra station, so it was very easy. Public transportation is good!

edit: part of the development of The 78 involves having to reroute the Rock Island metra lines a little bit since they currently encroach on the east side of the site. I don't know if that's being done as part of the DPI project or if it'll be part of some later development.

FWIW, the LaSalle St Metra terminal for the Rock Island line is walking distance from The 78.  Also, if the site is ever developed, plans are to have a Red Line station added at the site (the Red Line currently runs underground right by the SE corner of the site.

I don't know if the Metra realignment  will happen anyway with the DPI project.  Maybe not, but I haven't heard.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We've been over this a million times.  Even taking one third of the Chicago metro area as the Sox base leaves a bigger empty market place than pretty much anywhere else in the US without a team, especially if expansion of two teams is inevitable.

I get that and yes it's been discussed umpteen times.  I just don't think MLB looks only purely at fractions of metro area numbers when deciding where they want to expand.  It might be a consideration, but I doubt it's a priority and I expect other factors will outweigh their desire to have another team for 1/3 of Chicago metro.   

Manfred already said that the A's leaving the Bay Area is okay because they still have the Giants.  Yeah, I know he's retiring, but I don't see that mindset changing regardless of who succeeds him.  

Could MLB bring another team back to Chicago, sure it could happen.  I just think people need to get real and stop telling themselves the Sox leaving is "okay" because it's a sure thing that MLB will make it a priority to have 2 teams in Chicago.   

Edited by 77 Hitmen

3 minutes ago, 77 Hitmen said:

I get that and yes it's been discussed umpteen times.  I just don't think MLB looks only purely at fractions of metro area numbers when deciding where they want to expand.  It might be a consideration, but I doubt it's a priority and I expect other factors will outweigh their desire to have another team for 1/3 of Chicago metro.   

Manfred already said that the A's leaving the Bay Area is okay because they still have the Giants.  Yeah, I know he's retiring, but I don't see that mindset changing regardless of who succeeds him.  

Could MLB bring another team back to Chicago, sure it could happen.  I just think people need to get real and think the Sox leaving is "okay" because it's a sure thing that MLB will make it a priority to have 2 teams in Chicago.  

And that metro area is half of Chicago's.  MLB is absolutely looking at market size when they consider where to place teams.

• Like 1