Sox looking at building in South Loop

On 8/30/2024 at 7:33 PM, 77 Hitmen said:

The Sox and Related Midwest have constructed a temporary baseball diamond at The 78 where they want to build a new ballpark.  This won't magically get them public funding, but I have to say that I like that view of the skyline from there.  If the Sox want to privately finance a new stadium there, I'm all for it.  

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/08/30/the78-white-sox-stadium-related-midwest

29105446737_f3960be9d9_b.jpg

• Haha 1

Well no parking and no plan for sensible vehicular ingress/egress which is complicated by rail lines and the respective grade of surrounding streets. No plans for increased safety measures for fans relegated to using the increasingly dangerous/deadly mass transportation lines...just give us the money baby.

Anyway, who designed that abomination? Related? Why show all those 300, 500, 700 level upper decks filled with fans? We know that will seldom or maybe never happen. No walk around as in the current park connecting most fans. What connects all the disjointed decks?  Elevators? No center field concourse usable for most fans. On the exterior, what materials and elements? Brick? Split Palladian windows? Any sense of the architectural historical elements of the original Comiskey?

Maybe pay sod father to walk across 35th street and throw a sand field in using Comiskey park's original home plate.

Edited by tray

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Well no parking and no plan for sensible vehicular ingress/egress which is complicated by rail lines and the respective grade of surrounding streets. No plans for increased safety measures for fans relegated to using the increasingly dangerous/deadly mass transportation lines...just give us the money baby.

Anyway, who designed that abomination? Related? Why show all those 300, 500, 700 level upper decks filled with fans? We know that will seldom or maybe never happen. No walk around as in the current park connecting most fans. What connects all the disjointed decks?  Elevators? No center field concourse usable for most fans. On the exterior, what materials and elements? Brick? Split Palladian windows? Any sense of the architectural historical elements of the original Comiskey?

Maybe pay sod father to walk across 35th street and throw a sand field in using Comiskey park's original home plate.

@tray, serious question.  Do you just hate this new location because of the related aesthetics you have mentioned among other reasons, or do you happen to live very close to the current ballpark?

Just curious if it may be more convenient for you to go to a Sox game where they currently reside, rather than if they moved to the new 78 location?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tray said:

You really love to hate on this at every opportunity you can, don't you? 

• Like 5

On 1/17/2024 at 10:18 PM, southsider2k5 said:

This land has been empty since before most of us were born.  Put another way, this land had been available for almost 20 years the LAST time the White built a new stadium. 

The site was talked about back in the 60s, Arthur Allyn along with Mayor Daley wanted the Sox, Blackhawks and Bears to have stadiums on the site. The Bears balked and had been playing at Wrigley for decades and must of thought they would be playing in the Friendly Confines forever.

Wrigley was a great place for Bear games as you were right on top of the action, after the Baseball season was over, Papa Bear Halas would squeeze in a pretty large  grandstand in right field which increased capacity to over 45,000 depending on how much standing room tickets were sold. The Bears always started the season with 3 weeks on the road as it took time to erect the temporary seats but I loved watching the Bears at the Friendly Confines.

IMG_0062.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The site was talked about back in the 60s, Arthur Allyn along with Mayor Daley wanted the Sox, Blackhawks and Bears to have stadiums on the site. The Bears balked and had been playing at Wrigley for decades and must of thought they would be playing in the Friendly Confines forever.

Wrigley was a great place for Bear games as you were right on top of the action, after the Baseball season was over, Papa Bear Halas would squeeze in a pretty large  grandstand in right field which increased capacity to over 45,000 depending on how much standing room tickets were sold. The Bears always started the season with 3 weeks on the road as it took time to erect the temporary seats but I loved watching the Bears at the Friendly Confines.

IMG_0062.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

Art Allyn wanted to build a baseball stadium at Roosevelt and Clark  in 1967 with his own money. Mayor Daley wouldn't give him the permit to build the stadium.

Edited by WBWSF

19 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

which is why a publicly financed stadium is their plan. things move quickly when the government gets involved.  

It's not about the money.  It's about what is under the ground currently and nearby areas.  Digging in this area and moving/removing what is there is an issue.

I wish I could enjoy how hilarious it is Jerry is trying to do this song and dance as his team becomes a national embarrassment...

But if it was another team, like if I lived in Seattle, I may very well see the team tanking as he does this as an indicator he wants permission from MLB to leave for lack of support.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

It's not about the money.  It's about what is under the ground currently and nearby areas.  Digging in this area and moving/removing what is there is an issue.

I thought that cleanup already occurred?

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wish I could enjoy how hilarious it is Jerry is trying to do this song and dance as his team becomes a national embarrassment...

But if it was another team, like if I lived in Seattle, I may very well see the team tanking as he does this as an indicator he wants permission from MLB to leave for lack of support.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjWD7hrmfy1RINFNkNjAG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Art Allyn wanted to build a baseball stadium at Roosevelt and Clark  in 1967 with his own money. Mayor Daley wouldn't give him the permit to build the stadium.

I’ve never heard that before, I always thought that da Mayor was behind it all the way, why wouldn’t he want it as at the time it would have been a plus for the city.
Long time ago but I always thought that it was the Bears who wanted no part of it, they were always associated with the Cubs and if it was a baseball park for the Cubs the Bears probably would have gone along with the plans.

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’ve never heard that before, I always thought that da Mayor was behind it all the way, why wouldn’t he want it as at the time it would have been a plus for the city.
Long time ago but I always thought that it was the Bears who wanted no part of it, they were always associated with the Cubs and if it was a baseball park for the Cubs the Bears probably would have gone along with the plans.

When Daley  denided the permit to Allyn,  Allyn started talking to Milwaukee about moving the team there.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

What exactly is the issue and what is underground?

It will cost millions to clean up the toxins and waste left behind from the rail yards that used to be located on the site. There's no sewage system at all underneath, so those infrastructure costs will be phenomenal as well. The site used to be the primary rail yard for the old Grand Central Station: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Station_(Chicago)

This is partly why the site hasn't been developed in 60 years since it became defunct. Despite being in the South Loop, it really is remote.

BTW, Mite, loved your post about going to Bears games at Wrigley. Was wondering -- did you make any Chicago Cardinals games at Sox Park? Wish I could time travel back to a Bears-Cardinals game at 35th and Shields!

• Like 1

San Antonio about to spend $160,000,000 on a MiLB stadium. If the promises of economic growth in the area are realized it won't cost the taxpayers a dime. 😂 

Destroying some affordable housing along the way. 

This thread has become my favorite thread on this site. The season historically sucks...not a lot of hope for the near future...something about the subject of a new park is fun to think about even if it may seem like a pipe-dream!  I still miss Comiskey Park...that is that ballpark that visits me in my dreasm occasionally.  I have had some great times at the "new" park for sure...but it isn't "romantic" to me.  So...I hope we do get a new ballpark somehow...and maybe it is just time to move up the street "a bit".  And if they do somehow end up in the "78"...in my view it just seems like it would be a grand slam!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

there were a lot of proposals in the 60's. one was that the cubs AND sox played in the south loop while the bears and hawks got stadiums nearby.
but old man daley also wanted northerly island as a sox site.
the bears only moved to soldier field after the nfl placed minimum capacity requirements.

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

San Antonio about to spend $160,000,000 on a MiLB stadium. If the promises of economic growth in the area are realized it won't cost the taxpayers a dime. 😂 

Destroying some affordable housing along the way. 

According to the people begging for public money, these are always a big money maker for the state or local government from which they are seeking funding. Makes you wonder why they wouldn’t just build it themselves and take in all that money. I guess it’s just their charitable sides.