Sox looking at building in South Loop

23 hours ago, greg775 said:

The parking issue is huge. People don't want to mess with public transportation after night games. They want to drive away and don't want to walk 2 miles to their vehicles.

yet it happens daily at the other venues. trains always packed at wrigley, soldier, and the UC.

21 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m not worried about it because I won’t drive there. I am just pointing out if that park gets built, the traffic around there and lack of parking will be the new Comiskey Park II upper deck. 

this fanbase always finds something to b**** about.

2 hours ago, waltwilliams said:

It will cost millions to clean up the toxins and waste left behind from the rail yards that used to be located on the site. There's no sewage system at all underneath, so those infrastructure costs will be phenomenal as well. The site used to be the primary rail yard for the old Grand Central Station: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Station_(Chicago)

This is partly why the site hasn't been developed in 60 years since it became defunct. Despite being in the South Loop, it really is remote.

BTW, Mite, loved your post about going to Bears games at Wrigley. Was wondering -- did you make any Chicago Cardinals games at Sox Park? Wish I could time travel back to a Bears-Cardinals game at 35th and Shields!

I made to one Cardinal game, their last year in Chicago was 1959 and they played in Soldier Field that year. My cousin and I went to a beautiful Suday afternoon game in October and they lost to Jimmy Brown and the Cleveland Browns like 34-7, pretty typical. 
I had a golf buddy here in Florida who died a few years ago, he was a few years older but lived near Midway and he and his buddies would go to Sunday Cardinal games at Comiskey, head downtown for something to eat and then head out to Chicago Stadium for Blackhawk games. I did that with buddies maybe twice with Bear and Blackhawk games.

One other Cardinal tidbit, their last 2 or 3 years in Chicago they played 2 home games a year at Metropolitan Stadium up in the Twin Cities.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ewokpelts said:

yet it happens daily at the other venues. trains always packed at wrigley, soldier, and the UC.

And it happens at Sox Park as well. Public transportation is much closer to 35th and Shields than it is to Soldier Field or the UC. The current Sox Park is by far the most conveniently located stadium for both mass and vehicular transportation in the city, with three different public transportation lines (CTA and Metra) located with a couple of blocks from the park, along with a major expressway (connected to multiple other area expressways) adjacent to it.

I

2 hours ago, waltwilliams said:

It will cost millions to clean up the toxins and waste left behind from the rail yards that used to be located on the site. There's no sewage system at all underneath, so those infrastructure costs will be phenomenal as well. The site used to be the primary rail yard for the old Grand Central Station: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Station_(Chicago)

This is partly why the site hasn't been developed in 60 years since it became defunct. Despite being in the South Loop, it really is remote.

BTW, Mite, loved your post about going to Bears games at Wrigley. Was wondering -- did you make any Chicago Cardinals games at Sox Park? Wish I could time travel back to a Bears-Cardinals game at 35th and Shields!

Amazon was going to build at Block 78. The City Council was going to  approve the money for the infrastructure and CTA L train. Amazon backed out of the deal. I would think the City Council  would approve the money for the infrastructure and CTA L  Train if the new stadium is approved.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I made to one Cardinal game, their last year in Chicago was 1959 and they played in Soldier Field that year. My cousin and I went to a beautiful Suday afternoon game in October and they lost to Jimmy Brown and the Cleveland Browns like 34-7, pretty typical. 
I had a golf buddy here in Florida who died a few years ago, he was a few years older but lived near Midway and he and his buddies would go to Sunday Cardinal games at Comiskey, head downtown for something to eat and then head out to Chicago Stadium for Blackhawk games. I did that with buddies maybe twice with Bear and Blackhawk games.

Great story, Mite. Always got the impression that the Cardinals and Sox shared the same fan base (although the Cardinals had a tiny fan base at the end). Cards and Browns played the year prior to you seeing them at Sox Park -- looks like Brown had quite the day then, too: 

The suburban White Sox fan wants to drive to the game, not take public transportation IMO. Parking is needed. Even the suburban fans who drive to Bears games can find parking at Soldier right? They ain't taking any train in from suburbia.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I wish I could enjoy how hilarious it is Jerry is trying to do this song and dance as his team becomes a national embarrassment...

But if it was another team, like if I lived in Seattle, I may very well see the team tanking as he does this as an indicator he wants permission from MLB to leave for lack of support.

It's cause the stadium is also a punching bag.

Jerry just somehow missed the memo on public funding for stadiums no longer being en vogue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, waltwilliams said:

Great story, Mite. Always got the impression that the Cardinals and Sox shared the same fan base (although the Cardinals had a tiny fan base at the end). Cards and Browns played the year prior to you seeing them at Sox Park -- looks like Brown had quite the day then, too: 

Walt, that’s the way I felt back in those days but I liked the Bears too,  I never liked the Cubs but because we lived up by Loyola as a kid I went Wrigley quite often from 1957 to 1960 but always rooted for the visiting team,  It wasn’t  until 1960 that I went to Sox game without an adult.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, waltwilliams said:

Wow, great video and find on your part.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's cause the stadium is also a punching bag.

Jerry just somehow missed the memo on public funding for stadiums no longer being en vogue.

He’s always a little off. With people going into the office only 2 or 3 times a week, a close proximity to the loop is offset a little bit as well. He still has the red line near. And Metra trains a lot closer than they are now for those not heading south. But one of his complaints is he never drew 3 million, and the capacity of this stadium is supposed to be 35000-38000. So he isn’t going to do it there either.

8 minutes ago, waltwilliams said:

Thanks, Mite. Lots of empty seats in that film at Sox Park. Jimmy Brown was something, though -- he'd still dominate in today's game

Those low boxes were bad at Comiskey as the field was pitched, players in the dugout could only see the outfielders from their waist to the head. Wasn’t rectified until 1982.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He’s always a little off. With people going into the office only 2 or 3 times a week, a close proximity to the loop is offset a little bit as well. He still has the red line near. And Metra trains a lot closer than they are now for those not heading south. But one of his complaints is he never drew 3 million, and the capacity of this stadium is supposed to be 35000-38000. So he isn’t going to do it there either.

Jerry thihjs "if you build it they will come" applies to stadiums, not a contender.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The 1991 and 2006 posted numbers don’t factor in comps. 

they both drew 3 million fans. 

6 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

The 1991 and 2006 posted numbers don’t factor in comps. 

they both drew 3 million fans. 

They came up short of 3 million both years

2,934,154 in 1991       
2,957,414 in 2006

White Sox, Royals, A’s, Rays, Reds, Nationals/Expos and Pirates are the only MLB franchises that have failed to draw 3 million fans for a season and yes the Marlins drew over 3 million their first year in 1993.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

14 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

One other Cardinal tidbit, their last 2 or 3 years in Chicago they played 2 home games a year at Metropolitan Stadium up in the Twin Cities.

MM thanks for sharing, I did not know the Cardinals played their last season in Soldier Field or that they played 2 games up in Minnesota, great info.

If the Cardinals stayed in Chicago, I probably would have the Cardinals #1 the Bears #2  

Edited by Falstaff

I am still 100% for the new stadium on the river. I hope when I am dead and gone the Chicago White Sox still exist for future White Sox fans. With this new stadium and new owner, the Sox will be here for a long time.

Edited by Falstaff
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Bears willing to work with White Sox on Stadium funding.

Kevin Warren: Bears willing to work with White Sox on stadium funding – NBC Chicago

If this was already posted I apologize.

If the Bears don’t get this stadium built with public funds, Chicago is going to fall behind as a city. I loved that BS. Super Bowl would be nice, but with the capacity they are looking at, it will be 1 Suoer Bowl. It will be 1 Final Four. What concerts is the city missing out on? Again, if this is such a great deal, and will be ultimately be a money printer, why not just build it yourself, and pocket the money? You have a plot of land. Starr building. Kevin Warren will untimely be known as a bad hire. 

Edited by Dick Allen

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Bears don’t get this stadium built with public funds, Chicago is going to fall behind as a city. I loved that BS. Super Bowl would be nice, but with the capacity they are looking at, it will be 1 Suoer Bowl. It will be 1 Final Four. What concerts is the city missing out on? Again, if this is such a great deal, and will be ultimately be a money printer, why not just build it yourself, and pocket the money? You have a plot of land. Starr building. Kevin Warren will untimely be known as a bad hire. 

I am thankful Poles and Ian Cunningham came aboard and rebuilt the roster. I am so impressed with them and what they have done so far.

Warren....... ever since that presser with the mayor I have my doubts. I would not be surprised if the Bears sell the AH property and end up remodeling the existing Soldier Field. Warren isn't going to get the okay to build a new stadium on the lake front even if he does get the funding. The Bears will be facing lawsuits from the Friends of the Park. At best the Bears probably can get the go ahead to remodel. Hey 3 more years down in Champaign!!!!