Sox looking at building in South Loop

As long as the political climate remains the same and in the Sox case unless JR is willing to put up significant money neither team is getting squat and they can partner with everyone and it won't change a thing.

Politicians in Springfield aren't going to risk their careers supporting this with the blowback from citizens and citizen groups. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As long as the political climate remains the same and in the Sox case unless JR is willing to put up significant money neither team is getting squat and they can partner with everyone and it won't change a thing.

Politicians in Springfield aren't going to risk their careers supporting this with the blowback from citizens and citizen groups. 

The political calculation is will you lose more votes if the Sox leave the city, or you finance a stadium. Also you have to calculate the odds of them actually leaving. 

On 9/5/2024 at 9:11 AM, DFAthewave69420 said:

I have a direct source to this project.  There are numerous construction obstacles people do not know about that are in the way of breaking ground.  Long ways away from coming about but it could happen. 

On 9/6/2024 at 9:01 AM, DFAthewave69420 said:

It's not about the money.  It's about what is under the ground currently and nearby areas.  Digging in this area and moving/removing what is there is an issue.

20 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Amazon was going to build at Block 78. The City Council was going to  approve the money for the infrastructure and CTA L train. Amazon backed out of the deal. I would think the City Council  would approve the money for the infrastructure and CTA L  Train if the new stadium is approved.

I had also read that the Metra tracks that run through that lot would need to be realigned and at a lower grade to make the area accessible from Clark St. in a practical way.

And yeah, if somehow the Sox and Related Midwest said they'd 100% privately finance construction of the site as long as the city/state paid for the infrastructure work, then I can see such a deal getting done.  It'll run into some serious money, but it's something that could be sold to the politicians.  Yes, I get that there's an argument that the infrastructure costs are still not worth it to the taxpayers.  I'm just saying that I think such a deal could be done and sold to the public.

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:25 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

I suspect as long as Pritzker remains governor JR's plan to fleece the taxpayers yet again is D.O.A. much like his franchise that he's destroyed.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is pretty well established and understood to everyone except Jerry Reinsdorf.  Maybe he knows it too, but he's prone to self-delusion, so who knows.  I don't think anyone is questioning this.  

But he's 88 years old and isn't going to live forever.  At some point there will be a new Sox owner and that's when the possibility that new ownership decides it's worth their while to privately finance a new ballpark in the South Loop becomes more of a possibility.  I think we tend to focus on Reinsdorf as if he'll be the owner 10 years from now, when he'd be pushing the century mark.   

Or JR could decide, after the state calls his bluff, that putting up his own money for a new park will be worth it for the resulting boost in franchise value.  Probably not, but that's another option for how this could move forward.  

Edited by 77 Hitmen

58 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The political calculation is will you lose more votes if the Sox leave the city, or you finance a stadium. Also you have to calculate the odds of them actually leaving. 

Unfortunately, I think at this point, there won't be much of a cost politically to elected officials if they refuse to finance a new Sox stadium and Jerry moves the team to another city.  I can't imagine any of our politicians being voted out of office over losing the Sox.

Any outcry for losing the Sox will be much, much lower than it was even in 1988.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 77 Hitmen said:

Unfortunately, I think at this point, there won't be much of a cost politically to elected officials if they refuse to finance a new Sox stadium and Jerry moves the team to another city.  I can't imagine any of our politicians being voted out of office over losing the Sox.

Any outcry for losing the Sox will be much, much lower than it was even in 1988.

I agree. Especially on a state or county level. 

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Meanwhile the Bills getting approximately (half) $700 million in public funding from Buffalo and not billionaire Pegula...because they actually matter to their community.

I cannot tell you how much that deal is loathed by New Yorkers.

Let me get this straight. The White Sox have two straight 100-loss seasons for the first time in franchise history. And the second one will probably be the worst in major league history. Yet after running his franchise into the ground, Jerry Reinsdorf is supposed to get a publicly funded stadium. Feeling a little entitled?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

They cannot move the team.  It’s not even a remotely credible threat and all the politicians are smart enough to know it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

They cannot move the team.  It’s not even a remotely credible threat and all the politicians are smart enough to know it.

Oh I agree that a move to another city is highly unlikely.  I won't say the chances are zero, but they're pretty low.  Just look at hard it's been for the A's (in a much worse stadium situation) to move to Vegas.

I'm just saying that even if such a move became plausible, I don't think many elected officials would feel pressure to cave in to the Sox to avoid being punished by voters for "losing the Sox".  In fact, I think they'd get more voter support for telling Jerry Reinsdorf to go stuff it.   Fewer people would care about losing the Sox than did in 1988.  And more Sox fans than ever are fed up with Jerry crying poor all the time on his way to becoming a billionaire.

That saddens me in a way as a Sox fan because apathy for this team has reached a new low (or is it "high" grammatically?), but at the same time I'd be satisfied with lawmakers saying "No way" to more JR bailouts.    And I'm in support of a new South Loop ballpark - if Sox ownership PAYS FOR IT.

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2024 at 11:21 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

I get a sneaky feeling this time the Sox won't win the quest for state tax dollars. When a team is this bad, the state has the clout. It's like "J.R. if you really want to move this wretched team, go ahead. The city will survive with one team in the increasingly boring MLB." I know it'd be a blow to the overall economy if the Sox leave but the timing of this isn't very good IMO. Why would JR put up significant dollars when he can get a sweetheart deal assuredly somewhere else like Tennessee.

On 9/7/2024 at 12:15 PM, 77 Hitmen said:

I had also read that the Metra tracks that run through that lot would need to be realigned and at a lower grade to make the area accessible from Clark St. in a practical way.

And yeah, if somehow the Sox and Related Midwest said they'd 100% privately finance construction of the site as long as the city/state paid for the infrastructure work, then I can see such a deal getting done.  It'll run into some serious money, but it's something that could be sold to the politicians.  Yes, I get that there's an argument that the infrastructure costs are still not worth it to the taxpayers.  I'm just saying that I think such a deal could be done and sold to the public.

The city/state paying for infrastructure would be an absolute no brainer of they privately financed 100% of the construction costs. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 4:55 AM, The Mighty Mite said:

They came up short of 3 million both years

2,934,154 in 1991       
2,957,414 in 2006

White Sox, Royals, A’s, Rays, Reds, Nationals/Expos and Pirates are the only MLB franchises that have failed to draw 3 million fans for a season and yes the Marlins drew over 3 million their first year in 1993.

tHaT D'OnT fAcToR en COmPs!

On 9/7/2024 at 7:06 AM, Dick Allen said:

If the Bears don’t get this stadium built with public funds, Chicago is going to fall behind as a city. I loved that BS. Super Bowl would be nice, but with the capacity they are looking at, it will be 1 Suoer Bowl. It will be 1 Final Four. What concerts is the city missing out on? Again, if this is such a great deal, and will be ultimately be a money printer, why not just build it yourself, and pocket the money? You have a plot of land. Starr building. Kevin Warren will untimely be known as a bad hire. 

A domed stadium with at least 70k, will get more than one final four. as for the super bowl, northern states only get one anyway.

On 9/7/2024 at 7:06 AM, Dick Allen said:

If the Bears don’t get this stadium built with public funds, Chicago is going to fall behind as a city. I loved that BS. Super Bowl would be nice, but with the capacity they are looking at, it will be 1 Suoer Bowl. It will be 1 Final Four. What concerts is the city missing out on? Again, if this is such a great deal, and will be ultimately be a money printer, why not just build it yourself, and pocket the money? You have a plot of land. Starr building. Kevin Warren will untimely be known as a bad hire. 

warren has nine years to build a stadium, either in AH or the lakefront.  johnson has two years until re-election

On 9/7/2024 at 7:36 AM, Falstaff said:

I am thankful Poles and Ian Cunningham came aboard and rebuilt the roster. I am so impressed with them and what they have done so far.

Warren....... ever since that presser with the mayor I have my doubts. I would not be surprised if the Bears sell the AH property and end up remodeling the existing Soldier Field. Warren isn't going to get the okay to build a new stadium on the lake front even if he does get the funding. The Bears will be facing lawsuits from the Friends of the Park. At best the Bears probably can get the go ahead to remodel. Hey 3 more years down in Champaign!!!!

the bears beat the nazi's of the parks in 2001. this plan requires the creation of new parkland and underground parking, something that is hard to counter as not good for the lakefront.

On 9/7/2024 at 12:15 PM, 77 Hitmen said:

the talk is that the metra and cta stations would be adjacent, almost serving as a transit center, and that make clark and 15th the center of the project. it would be hard to say no to rail service that could connect someone with minimal transfer from as far as Joliet all the way to Skokie.

On 9/7/2024 at 10:04 PM, Quin said:

I cannot tell you how much that deal is loathed by New Yorkers.

One Pegula saved the day two Hochul is a local three the Bill's are the only team in NYS. No -brainer. 

21 hours ago, greg775 said:

I get a sneaky feeling this time the Sox won't win the quest for state tax dollars. When a team is this bad, the state has the clout. It's like "J.R. if you really want to move this wretched team, go ahead. The city will survive with one team in the increasingly boring MLB." I know it'd be a blow to the overall economy if the Sox leave but the timing of this isn't very good IMO. Why would JR put up significant dollars when he can get a sweetheart deal assuredly somewhere else like Tennessee.

Nashville does NOT want the sox or any other team that moves to the market. they want expansion.

On 9/7/2024 at 12:26 PM, 77 Hitmen said:

This is pretty well established and understood to everyone except Jerry Reinsdorf.  Maybe he knows it too, but he's prone to self-delusion, so who knows.  I don't think anyone is questioning this.  

But he's 88 years old and isn't going to live forever.  At some point there will be a new Sox owner and that's when the possibility that new ownership decides it's worth their while to privately finance a new ballpark in the South Loop becomes more of a possibility.  I think we tend to focus on Reinsdorf as if he'll be the owner 10 years from now, when he'd be pushing the century mark.   

Or JR could decide, after the state calls his bluff, that putting up his own money for a new park will be worth it for the resulting boost in franchise value.  Probably not, but that's another option for how this could move forward.  

Virgina McCaskey is the second owner of  the bears, and her father died 40 years ago. when she was in her 60's.
the Blackhawks are on their FOURTH Wirtz as owner.

Edited by ewokpelts

1 hour ago, ewokpelts said:

Virgina McCaskey is the second owner of  the bears, and her father died 40 years ago. when she was in her 60's.
the Blackhawks are on their FOURTH Wirtz as owner.

This is part of the thing that terrifies me.  The team will not be sold until Jerry passes.  Jerry seems fairly lucid and is decent health for an 88 year old man.  Affluent people have far more access to advanced health care and resources.  He could easily make it to 100 and we’ve got over a decade more of this s%*#.