Sox looking at building in South Loop

28 minutes ago, Rusty said:

This is part of the thing that terrifies me.  The team will not be sold until Jerry passes.  Jerry seems fairly lucid and is decent health for an 88 year old man.  Affluent people have far more access to advanced health care and resources.  He could easily make it to 100 and we’ve got over a decade more of this s%*#.

I remember hearing talks like this 10 years ago when he was 78, Everyone was all like: He can't have much time left right?

Welp...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

the lack of a dome is the head scratcher.

Lol Iove this. When there is four feet of snow and emergency vehicles are everywhere due to a snow emergency the lack of a covered roof does not loom large. These people put their lives at risk every winter. The NFL wants some winter games in Buffalo and Green Bay because it's part of the league legacy. If you made it to the game you don't mind the snow. Forgot to mention Goodell is also a local. 

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Today is the day the White Sox have a media event  at Block 78. It should be interesting.

Paul Sullivan wrote in a column over the weekend he requested a media credential for this "event" and was told the media are NOT invited. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Paul Sullivan wrote in a column over the weekend he requested a media credential for this "event" and was told the media are NOT invited. 

Imagine being a media gatekeeper for Jerry, and then him still leaving you out of the biggest story surrounding the White Sox.

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I'm looking forward to the new stadium. Hopefully  it will be designed right this time and become "The New Baseball Palace of the World"

I'm looking forward to new ownership. That's the only possible way a new stadium MAY, repeat may, be built.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I'm looking forward to the new stadium. Hopefully  it will be designed right this time and become "The New Baseball Palace of the World"

I'm looking forward to the offseason where we start trying to bully the state of Illinois out of a billion dollars again with more threats to move.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

DPI Institute (a building remindful of the Helmut Jahn's James R. Thompson Center) will be on a small 1.5 acre site (at the South end of the 78) donated by Related and funded by grants from the State of Illinois, U of I,  and private entities like the Pritzker Institute. Related has long been seeking an anchor tenant as aggressively as a strip mall owner.  Perhaps a sports facility could potentially make sense there with careful planning for parking, ingress/egress, etc.. However that is not the case here. Ther stadium is shoehorned in to a massive commercial development. The pressure exerted by Related Development to obtain an anchor tenant (formerly Amazon et.al.) and on benefactors including Illinois and Chicago tax payers, is overwrought, ugly and laughable. As a life-long WSox fan, I fear that moving Comiskey into a congested commercial site like that would diminish attendance and eventually destroy the WSox franchise.  The public can be gullible and easily taken by grifters like Related Development. Knowing that and evaluating the proposal as it is, I don't want our WSox and our fans to fall for this stunt.

https://chicagoyimby.com/2024/03/discovery-partners-institute-begins-accepting-construction-bids-at-the-78-megadevelopment.htmlSox-Field-the-78-06-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, f*** those god damn grifters at Related Devleopment.  I definitely don’t want a brand new park in the perfect location that will draw a fuckton more casual fans and allow us to be more competitive if it requires me to take public transportation with the scum of the world.  Ingress/egress all day everyday baby!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/2024/09/16/white-sox-stadium-south-loop-78-tour

The last line of the article is interesting:

“I think anything is possible in politics and business if both sides can claim victory,” Ford said. “That’s how deals are made.”

Edited by BrittBurnsFan

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, f*** those god damn grifters at Related Devleopment.  I definitely don’t want a brand new park in the perfect location that will draw a fuckton more casual fans and allow us to be more competitive if it requires me to take public transportation with the scum of the world.  Ingress/egress all day everyday baby!!

Diminish attendance?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jerry:  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/2024/09/16/white-sox-stadium-south-loop-78-tour

The last line of the article is interesting:

“I think anything is possible in politics and business if both sides can claim victory,” Ford said. “That’s how deals are made.”

So were these:

“Everyone knows this would be awesome. That doesn’t mean taxpayers should put up a dime for it.” 

“People have been really clear on where they stand about the broader idea.”

Gov. JB Pritzker and the leaders of Democratic super majorities in Springfield have all but rejected the prospect of stadium legislation moving during the fall veto session.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

So were these:

“Everyone knows this would be awesome. That doesn’t mean taxpayers should put up a dime for it.” 

“People have been really clear on where they stand about the broader idea.”

Gov. JB Pritzker and the leaders of Democratic super majorities in Springfield have all but rejected the prospect of stadium legislation moving during the fall veto session.

I agree with your point...but that is also the easiest position to take publically.  If this is ever going to happen...both sides are going to have to meet somewhere in the middle and have to give both sides some cover.  

7 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I agree with your point...but that is also the easiest position to take publically.  If this is ever going to happen...both sides are going to have to meet somewhere in the middle and have to give both sides some cover.  

Historically JR's "philosophy" has been 'I win...you lose.'

As an example the sweetheart lease with the Sports Stadium Authority.

These are different times and given the state of the Sox since the start of 2007 unless JR is willing to put up a significant amount of his own money, this isn't going to happen. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Both sides will come together and the stadium will be built. JR is going to  have to come up with some big money to make it happen. But it will get done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Both sides will come together and the stadium will be built. JR is going to  have to come up with some big money to make it happen. But it will get done.

If JR comes up with a LOT of money it could happen and I would have no objections myself but for him to want a new stadium AGAIN on the public dole simply won't fly in the current environment. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I definitely don’t want a brand new park in the perfect location that will draw a fuckton more casual fans and allow us to be more competitive if it requires me to take public transportation with the scum of the world.

If you have  any data on what percentage of fans attending Sox games rely on mass transportation to get there, let me know,