Sox looking at building in South Loop

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The entire City of Chicago's skyscrapers all have foundations LONG below street level, even places like The Sears Tower, which is half a block from the same river.  If you don't remember, go back and look up the great Chicago Flood in the late 90s.  It's the same thing they did in NYC too with all of their skyscrapers including both versions of the WTC.  They dig out a massive hole, reinforce it with concrete and rebar, and then start building up.  A place like Sears or WTC is probably 50 to 60 feet in a hole before they start building.  This ballpark would be amateur hour compared to places like that.

The joke writes itself.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stole these from Scott Merkin just to show the 78 would be a spectacular site for baseball FB_IMG_1728500881656.jpgFB_IMG_1728500878113.jpg

I didn't look at these pictures too closely before, but have these people never seen what home plate looks like?

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The entire City of Chicago's skyscrapers all have foundations LONG below street level, even places like The Sears Tower, which is half a block from the same river.  If you don't remember, go back and look up the great Chicago Flood in the late 90s.  It's the same thing they did in NYC too with all of their skyscrapers including both versions of the WTC.  They dig out a massive hole, reinforce it with concrete and rebar, and then start building up.  A place like Sears or WTC is probably 50 to 60 feet in a hole before they start building.  This ballpark would be amateur hour compared to places like that.

Bingo. Look at all of the tall buildings built adjacent to the river, being in close proximity isn't an issue. Besides, the river south of Roosevelt is basically a man-made canal, reinforcing the foundation of a ballpark is child's play compared to rerouting a mile stretch of the river.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The foundation is key to any skyscraper. 

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Bingo. Look at all of the tall buildings built adjacent to the river, being in close proximity isn't an issue. Besides, the river south of Roosevelt is basically a man-made canal, reinforcing the foundation of a ballpark is child's play compared to rerouting a mile stretch of the river.

They are built on stilts. People don't hang out below the river.

Update from my source (paraphrasing)... The belief around the Construction community is what the White Sox and Real Estate Developer are doing right now is strictly posturing and grandstanding to get PR & $$ from the City + State.

So Jerry is going to squeeze every ounce to not fully fund this.

• Paper Bag 1

20 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Update from my source (paraphrasing)... The belief around the Construction community is what the White Sox and Real Estate Developer are doing right now is strictly posturing and grandstanding to get PR & $$ from the City + State.

Um, duh?  What else would this be?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

They are built on stilts. People don't hang out below the river.

Do you think there is an underground reservoir beneath the 78 that would somehow restrict excavation to build a playing field? Where on earth do you get the idea that anyone is hanging out below the river?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

My source (eyes) also said that. What else would doing this be? 

• Haha 2

Every major business is looking for, and receiving something, for relocating. Just look at the bidding for Amazon and Tesla locations. 

I think most of us agree that it's easier to justify public dollars going to Amazon or Tesla. 

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Do you think there is an underground reservoir beneath the 78 that would somehow restrict excavation to build a playing field? Where on earth do you get the idea that anyone is hanging out below the river?

If they built the park, like the post I was responding to asked, the playing field, the clubhouses, and most of the 100 level would be below the river. So there would be thousands of people hanging out below the river 81 times a year.

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Every major business is looking for, and receiving something, for relocating. Just look at the bidding for Amazon and Tesla locations. 

I think most of us agree that it's easier to justify public dollars going to Amazon or Tesla. 

Even if said government contractor "jokes" about why nobody is clamoring to assassinate the sitting president or VP?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

No I think they can afford it moreso than Reinsdorf. 

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Lower lower Wacker is where all the cool kids hang out 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

No I think they can afford it moreso than Reinsdorf. 

It's not what they can afford, it's the total jobs they bring and how much that economic development is worth to the area they move to. 

I'm  under the impression that ownership is not going to renew the lease at the present location. If the new 78  stadium is not  approved  I wonder what would be the next move. Assuming they don't move out  of state,what other location would have the new stadium? I'm sure that Rosemont would build a stadium for them. Other than that I don't know.

41 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I'm  under the impression that ownership is not going to renew the lease at the present location. If the new 78  stadium is not  approved  I wonder what would be the next move. Assuming they don't move out  of state,what other location would have the new stadium? I'm sure that Rosemont would build a stadium for them. Other than that I don't know.

Arlington Heights 😂

The City or State is not going to put out any money besides infrastructure to the Bears new stadium on the lake front or the Sox at the 78, it just will not happen.  So, if both teams do end up getting private funding the 78 will happen but the Bears will never get a shovel in the ground with lawsuits from the Friends of the Park. 

Warren is delusional and should move on and either build at Arlington Hts or sell the land and remodel Soldier Field which has already been floated out there by the previous mayor.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I wish they'd go to Orland/Tinley. Seems like that's where most of the fanbase is anyway.