Sox looking at building in South Loop

53 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I wish they'd go to Orland/Tinley. Seems like that's where most of the fanbase is anyway.

this is one of those things about the suburbs. There's extreme winners and losers. For anyone on north and west or farther south sides, 35th and shields is a little painful but not bad.

Move them to Tinley /Orland Park and it's painful east and south, and there's no "take a train after work and uber home" left.  

For football, I never minded the idea of them going to arlington heights. But for baseball, inconvenience is death for me attending a weeknight game.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I wish they'd go to Orland/Tinley. Seems like that's where most of the fanbase is anyway.

Sure, let's move the team to a place where driving is the only option, and watch JR charge through the nose for parking. You can kiss any casual fan interest/attendance goodbye in Orland/Tinley as well.

The Tinley Park White Sox would be a bigger ghost town than Euro Disney...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Sure, let's move the team to a place where driving is the only option, and watch JR charge through the nose for parking. You can kiss any casual fan interest/attendance goodbye in Orland/Tinley as well.

The Tinley Park White Sox would be a bigger ghost town than Euro Disney...

I was responding to his question about what would be another location if it isn't the current location or the 78. 

2 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I was responding to his question about what would be another location if it isn't the current location or the 78. 

The moving to the suburbs trend died 30 years ago. It's just not viable for baseball in this day and age.

JR is angling for a better location so he can con someone else into building a playground around a shiny new ballpark. That won't happen with a suburban location. He'd have a new ballpark and a whole new set of attendance issues/excuses, while suffering similar struggles as he has in Armour Square. After 30 years of disinvestment around 35th & Shields, no one else is paying to develop that land either, so nothing is going to change for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

If the Bears and White Sox are working together to get  their new stadiums built, wouldn't it be easier if both stadiums were built along side each other at the 78?

That's assuming either one of them get a stadium built. 

I'm not putting money on that happening especially for the White Sox unless JR changes his tune and plunks down a LOT of his own money.   

5 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

After 30 years of disinvestment around 35th & Shields, no one else is paying to develop that land either, so nothing is going to change for the foreseeable future.

This is plain false. There has been plenty of development down the South Halsted corridor over the past 30 years and many, many nice homes, condos, etc. West of GRate. You sound like you have not been there and are simply repeating something you heard.

Edited by tray

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

If the Bears and White Sox are working together to get  their new stadiums built, wouldn't it be easier if both stadiums were built along side each other at the 78?

Is there room on the site for both a Sox ballpark, a Bears domed stadium, AND the "entertainment district"-type development each team wants around their new stadium?

All states need a F'off bill.  When an owner wants  state money to build a stadium - the bill says f-off.

I can't believe the worst owner in baseball is that deluded.

Shiny and new stadium and s%*# baseball doesn't draw fans. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 9:16 AM, bmags said:

this is one of those things about the suburbs. There's extreme winners and losers. For anyone on north and west or farther south sides, 35th and shields is a little painful but not bad.

Move them to Tinley /Orland Park and it's painful east and south, and there's no "take a train after work and uber home" left.  

For football, I never minded the idea of them going to arlington heights. But for baseball, inconvenience is death for me attending a weeknight game.

Yeah, if the Fire have taught the city anything, fans have to be able to get to the games. 

On 10/11/2024 at 6:21 PM, WBWSF said:

The Bears are a draw.  Fans care about them even when they are bad.  Jerry has ruined his own team to the point that Sox fans are just casual and indifferent and just won’t attend games if the product is bad.

What incentive would the Bears have to tie their anchor to the Sox?  The Sox would only be a detriment to whatever the Bears want to do.  And the Bears are actually willing to spend money on their own stadium.  Jerry is a cheap piece of sh1t and wants everyone but him to pay for his own new stadium.

I absolutely can’t stand Pritzker considering he is a billionaire and has still committed some shady things to avoid paying taxes (look up removing his toilets from his mansion), but I hope he keeps telling Jerry to shove his funding requests up his ass.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Bears are a draw.  Fans care about them even when they are bad.  Jerry has ruined his own team to the point that Sox fans are just casual and indifferent and just won’t attend games if the product is bad.

What incentive would the Bears have to tie their anchor to the Sox?  The Sox would only be a detriment to whatever the Bears want to do.  And the Bears are actually willing to spend money on their own stadium.  Jerry is a cheap piece of sh1t and wants everyone but him to pay for his own new stadium.

I absolutely can’t stand Pritzker considering he is a billionaire and has still committed some shady things to avoid paying taxes (look up removing his toilets from his mansion), but I hope he keeps telling Jerry to shove his funding requests up his ass.

I don't see the Sox and Bears getting in bed together, but the historically awful Sox will of course draw far, far more than the Bears will in a year. Drawing 500k over 8 days isn't a sell for anything.

On 10/10/2024 at 11:53 AM, JoeC said:

I didn't look at these pictures too closely before, but have these people never seen what home plate looks like?

The buildings in the background look very nice but why don't the White Sox do the smart thing for once? Head to suburbia and get Naperville, Lisle or the Arlington Park area to build the Sox a suburban palace? Let the Cubs have the city. The Sox belong in the suburbs. So do the Bears. Ridiculous they don't head out there. The Dallas Cowboys seem to like their suburban complex. Surely suburbia would fork over most of the money to satisfy Jerry. Somebody give me a good reason the Sox don't belong to the suburbs.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

The buildings in the background look very nice but why don't the White Sox do the smart thing for once? Head to suburbia and get Naperville, Lisle or the Arlington Park area to build the Sox a suburban palace? Let the Cubs have the city. The Sox belong in the suburbs. So do the Bears. Ridiculous they don't head out there. The Dallas Cowboys seem to like their suburban complex. Surely suburbia would fork over most of the money to satisfy Jerry. Somebody give me a good reason the Sox don't belong to the suburbs.

20% of White Sox attendance comes  via public transportation. There is no mass transportation in the suburbs.

Edited by WBWSF

On 10/11/2024 at 11:18 PM, 77 Hitmen said:

Is there room on the site for both a Sox ballpark, a Bears domed stadium, AND the "entertainment district"-type development each team wants around their new stadium?

I think the point with a 78 district build is that the businesses are already there. There’s bars, eateries, shopping etc already there. 

with that stated, the land will only fit one stadium unless they buy more land or take ping Tom park.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not viable for a team that already struggles with attendance and plays nightly. It would be hell trying to get Lisle or Naperville, especially for a 7:10 start on a Tuesday. Only way in is Metra and that’s if they were to build right next to the Metra line.

Edited by nitetrain8601

On 10/11/2024 at 10:03 PM, tray said:

This is plain false. There has been plenty of development down the South Halsted corridor over the past 30 years and many, many nice homes, condos, etc. West of GRate. You sound like you have not been there and are simply repeating something you heard.

Disagree. What have the built? Not much. It’s homes. It’s a residential area. JR has also tried to get some commercial development setup over there but has been denied by the neighborhood. It’s one of the reasons why moved ahead with the UC development area.

beautiful new homes in Bridgeport though

• Thanks 1

If I was going to build a stadium in the burbs I think the best place would be around where the Eisenhower and 294 meet, it’s almost smack dab in the middle of the metro area and the CTA line that runs up and down the Ike could be extended. My second choice would be at “78”.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

If they build in any of the suburbs, their sponsorship money from the Village of Bedford Park would dry up.

Also, what do you think the urban fans would do? How would they get to the games? By having the stadium in the city, you open doors for people without access to cars to get to the games.

The 78 would be developed as a destination in and of itself. There'd be more than just a ballgame / ballpark there.

A suburban stadium would just be an island. You go to the game, then you head home. That's not how the game is marketed anymore.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WBWSF said:

20% of White Sox attendance comes  via public transportation. There is no mass transportation in the suburbs.

But I say you move the palace of a stadium out there and the people will come. New people who don't wanna navigate the city.

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

A suburban stadium would just be an island. You go to the game, then you head home. That's not how the game is marketed anymore.

Baseball is in crisis mode or should be over the age of its fans and demographic. People over 55? Yes. They like/love baseball or used to. I'm thinking those people would support a Sox winner. They would LOVE the ballpark out in Naperville/suburbia somewhere. The island is fine with them. Most games are night games. They are GOING HOME after the games not partying. The island is fine if there is land to build open air parking lots not downtown garages. Young people want no part of baseball. It still is boring to many with all the pitching changes. Granted it's sped up a bit thankfully. Suburbs forever for sports stadiums. Again ... the Dallas Cowboys don't seem to mind having their own mega complex. p.s. Young people who hate baseball to begin with aren't going to head to a new city ballpark to pay for 10 dollar beers before games and eat 30 dollar burgers at the joints by the new stadium. And nobody wants to stay at a 400 dollar a night hotel by the park!

Edited by greg775

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

If I was going to build a stadium in the burbs I think the best place would be around where the Eisenhower and 294 meet, it’s almost smack dab in the middle of the metro area and the CTA line that runs up and down the Ike could be extended. My second choice would be at “78”.

I'm told the far west end of Rosemont (which is empty)  would be big enough for a baseball stadium. There is also a CTA/Blue line and Metra in Rosemont.  The problem with Rosemont is that most of the  White Sox fanbase is South and Southwest.

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Baseball is in crisis mode or should be over the age of its fans and demographic. People over 55? Yes. They like/love baseball or used to. I'm thinking those people would support a Sox winner. They would LOVE the ballpark out in Naperville/suburbia somewhere. The island is fine with them. Most games are night games. They are GOING HOME after the games not partying. The island is fine if there is land to build open air parking lots not downtown garages. Young people want no part of baseball. It still is boring to many with all the pitching changes. Granted it's sped up a bit thankfully. Suburbs forever for sports stadiums. Again ... the Dallas Cowboys don't seem to mind having their own mega complex. p.s. Young people who hate baseball to begin with aren't going to head to a new city ballpark to pay for 10 dollar beers before games and eat 30 dollar burgers at the joints by the new stadium. And nobody wants to stay at a 400 dollar a night hotel by the park!

Except Arlington isn't really a suburb...it's just the mid point transportation wise between Dallas and Fort Worth.

It's more like the KC Sports Complex with more bells and whistles...an airport fairly close, etc.

You have one of the most iconic sports franchises in the Cowboys in?all of professional sports...two of the newer and nicest facilities, and winning traditions (Rangers recently won WS...two more WS runs in the previous decade) by and large.

The best example of a move to the suburbs is the Braves (and perceived "safety" issues with downtown being one similar factor)...but they obviously control their entire metroplex in terms of the fanbase.

Once again...look at how many titles the Braves have since 1990 compared to the Sox.  Not even close.

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I believe I saw a headline last week something to the effect that baseball has seen attendance rise for the past few years in a row now coming off the pandemic. How that compares to all-time records I don't know.

• Like 2

There's a lot going on in Chicago right now. Unless it's fake news I've read about companies leaving and people leaving Chicago and the state because of excessive taxes and safety. I read the southside patch. I know about the carjackings, house invasions, robbing u in your own driveway, etc. My point is suburbia might be the way to go if things don't change society wise.

Why would a team want to be in the city with its taxes when suburbia beckons close by?