Sox looking at building in South Loop

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I believe I saw a headline last week something to the effect that baseball has seen attendance rise for the past few years in a row now coming off the pandemic. How that compares to all-time records I don't know.

Attendance has been trending up, overall...

Obviously ratings for the playoffs/World Series declining year by year, that's what draws the biggest headlines.

And the RSN problems, that were caused largely by a corporation or companies overpaying and then ending up with a serious case of buyer's remorse (but still a revenue driver overall when it eventually gets straightened out by MLB.)

Maybe the Ohtani Show will be enough to reverse the trend nationally and internationally, especially if they face off with the NY Yankees in the World Series.

On 10/11/2024 at 10:03 PM, tray said:

This is plain false. There has been plenty of development down the South Halsted corridor over the past 30 years and many, many nice homes, condos, etc. West of GRate. You sound like you have not been there and are simply repeating something you heard.

I live in Bridgeport, and I was taking about the sea of empty lots immediate around the ballpark that sit empty 284 times a year.  But please, tell more about my own neighborhood, where I reside, work, and spend the majority of my time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

"Disagree. What have the built? Not much. It’s homes. It’s a residential area. JR has also tried to get some commercial development setup over there but has been denied by the neighborhood. It’s one of the reasons why moved ahead with the UC development area. beautiful new homes in Bridgeport though"

First the term "disinvestment" was used incorrectly by a poster who does not know what that means.

" What have the built? Not much?" 

Are you suggesting that the ISFA should finance commercial buildings around the stadium? That sounds like a good idea if/when a new Comiskey is built on the site of the original and the South side of 35th street gets a new McCuddy's and much much more.  If you build it and it has beer, they will come. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2024 at 6:09 PM, WBWSF said:

The last that I heard is that the Bears and White Sox are working together trying to get funding. Also heard that if the White Sox get their new stadium the present stadium will be converted into a soccer stadium for the Chicago Red Stars team. 

I always learn something at Sox Talk.  When someone mentioned to move the Red Stars into Sox Park I didn't know who they were until I googled them. 

3 hours ago, tray said:

"Disagree. What have the built? Not much. It’s homes. It’s a residential area. JR has also tried to get some commercial development setup over there but has been denied by the neighborhood. It’s one of the reasons why moved ahead with the UC development area. beautiful new homes in Bridgeport though"

First the term "disinvestment" was used incorrectly by a poster who does not know what that means.

Are you suggesting that the ISFA should finance commercial buildings around the stadium? That sounds like a good idea if/when a new Comiskey is built on the site of the original and the South side of 35th street gets a new McCuddy's and much much more.  If you build it and it has beer, they will come. 

image.jpeg

Tray, proving to the world that the surrounding area is a huge draw that has been invested in

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, tray said:

image.jpeg

Didn't JR supposedly promise that McCuddy's would be rebuilt? Yet for 30+ years nothing has been built other than the very overpriced ChiSox Bar & Grill, that is only open on game days.  But please, tell me about all of the money invested immediately outside of Guaranteed Rate Field, from 33rd to 37th, Normal to Wentworth. I will hang up and listen...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I'm told the far west end of Rosemont (which is empty)  would be big enough for a baseball stadium. There is also a CTA/Blue line and Metra in Rosemont.  The problem with Rosemont is that most of the  White Sox fanbase is South and Southwest.

Also, if I'm thinking of the correct empty tract of land at the west end of Rosemont, isn't that in the flight path of planes about to make a landing every few minutes at O'Hare?   

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Didn't JR supposedly promise that McCuddy's would be rebuilt? Yet for 30+ years nothing has been built other than the very overpriced ChiSox Bar & Grill, that is only open on game days.  But please, tell me about all of the money invested immediately outside of Guaranteed Rate Field, from 33rd to 37th, Normal to Wentworth. I will hang up and listen...

That promise was made by Governor Thompson.  JR didn't have the authority to get involved in eminent domain issues or offer state owned land to the family that owned the bar.  They were offered the opportunity to relocated to a vacant dumpy bar a few blocks away and declined.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Attendance has been trending up, overall...

Obviously ratings for the playoffs/World Series declining year by year, that's what draws the biggest headlines.

And the RSN problems, that were caused largely by a corporation or companies overpaying and then ending up with a serious case of buyer's remorse (but still a revenue driver overall when it eventually gets straightened out by MLB.)

Maybe the Ohtani Show will be enough to reverse the trend nationally and internationally, especially if they face off with the NY Yankees in the World Series.

This is MLB's wet dream

2 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

That promise was made by Governor Thompson.  JR didn't have the authority to get involved in eminent domain issues or offer state owned land to the family that owned the bar.  They were offered the opportunity to relocated to a vacant dumpy bar a few blocks away and declined.

Gotcha. Thanks for the correction. I knew someone involved made that promise, but that was all before my time.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been any request from the Alderman's office for resident input on developing the empty lots around GRF, at least not in the last 13 years since I have lived in the ward. I'm curious about the claims that' the neighborhood' has blocked JR from doing so.

Anecdotally, when the Starbucks at 31st & Halsted was first floated, there were plenty of residents who were against it, or were against the plans as presented. Resident opposition didn't stop the alderman from selling off the parcel of land at a fraction of its value to fast track the development. Same can be said about the development of the former helipad on Halsted just south of the river. The community was not in favor of the massive warehouse and a sea of parking being built, but Daley-Thompson bowed to corporate interests yet again over the wishes of his constituents. I'd venture that if JR really wanted to invest the dollars and energy in developing the empty lots around GRF, he would find a way to grease the wheels of city officials.

Edited by Tnetennba

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

To my knowledge, there hasn't been any request from the Alderman's office for resident input on developing the empty lots around GRF, at least not in the last 13 years since I have lived in the ward. I'm curious about the claims that' the neighborhood' has blocked JR from doing so.

Anecdotally, when the Starbucks at 31st & Halsted was first floated, there were plenty of residents who were against it, or were against the plans as presented. Resident opposition didn't stop the alderman from selling off the parcel of land at a fraction of its value to fast track the development. Same can be said about the development of the former helipad on Halsted just south of the river. The community was not in favor of the massive warehouse and a sea of parking being built, but Daley-Thompson bowed to corporate interests yet again over the wishes of his constituents. I'd venture that if JR really wanted to invest the dollars and energy in developing the empty lots around GRF, he would find a way to grease the wheels of city officials.

I mentioned many years ago there were blueprints made concerning developing some of the parking lots with bars and restaurants. JR wanted nothing to do with it. He eventually partially relented and we got the ChiSox Bar and Grill where he gets all the money and the gift shop. He doesn’t want anything around there unless he has access to the cash register.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I mentioned many years ago there were blueprints made concerning developing some of the parking lots with bars and restaurants. JR wanted nothing to do with it. He eventually partially relented and we got the ChiSox Bar and Grill where he gets all the money and the gift shop. He doesn’t want anything around there unless he has access to the cash register.

It’s a running theme, just like the parking lots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

This has always been my understanding as well. It’s not the neighborhood stopping anything, but JR monopolizing every dollar spent at or around the park. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2024 at 9:02 PM, Tnetennba said:

I live in Bridgeport, and I was taking about the sea of empty lots immediate around the ballpark that sit empty 284 times a year.  But please, tell more about my own neighborhood, where I reside, work, and spend the majority of my time. 

Yea right. and I live in Martha's Vineyard. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

It sure has been quiet recently about the proposed new White Sox and Bears stadiums. Maybe something will happen after the November election.

Politicians have said numerous times nothing is going to happen in the fall and they are waiting for more information and details especially from JR.