Sox looking at building in South Loop

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

It sure has been quiet recently about the proposed new White Sox and Bears stadiums. Maybe something will happen after the November election.

Honestly that makes a lot of sense.  Most people don't have the memory to wait 2 to 4 years to punish a pol who shoves money at Jerry.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think JR is SOL as long as JB is governor. He can probably be governor as long as he wants, but seems to have higher aspirations, caving to an 88 year old billionaire and giving his heirs free money when they sell, would probably kill any of those thoughts.

I think no matter what, Jerry is going to take this to the wire with a full blown threat to move to Nashville. He knows what a sweet deal he got last time, he's going to follow the same game plan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So wait, if he isn't lying...

He lives in his parents basement.

He found an image of several parking passes on a black background on the internet.

He lives in Bridgeport but wants the White Sox to move out of a neighborhood they have been in for over 100 years.

He craves one-upmanship on internet forums.

He is a know-it-all.

There are other less generous explanations.

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think no matter what, Jerry is going to take this to the wire with a full blown threat to move to Nashville. He knows what a sweet deal he got last time, he's going to follow the same game plan.

Of course. He will run this desire for a new stadium like he runs his teams. Like it’s still the 80s.

But things are a lot different. They don’t “need” a new stadium. Now people know this isn’t a big money maker for the city or state, no matter how they spin it. If it was, they would build it themselves and pocket all the cash. And his sweetheart lease he isn’t getting again. I would do his lease the opposite way. The more they draw, the more they win, the less they pay.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Of course. He will run this desire for a new stadium like he runs his teams. Like it’s still the 80s.

But things are a lot different. They don’t “need” a new stadium. Now people know this isn’t a big money maker for the city or state, no matter how they spin it. If it was, they would build it themselves and pocket all the cash. And his sweetheart lease he isn’t getting again. I would do his lease the opposite way. The more they draw, the more they win, the less they pay.

However people want to be creative with this...if JR doesn't get his sweetheart deal and $1.5 billion check or whatever he wants now, I don't see how it ends any other way than the A's way.

53 minutes ago, tray said:

He found an image of several parking passes on a black background on the internet.

He lives in Bridgeport but wants the White Sox to move out of a neighborhood they have been in for over 100 years.

He is a know-it-all.

Or...

You live in your parents basement 

You live in Bridgeport but don't want the White Sox to move out of a neighborhood they have been in for over 100 years.

You crave one-upmanship on internet forums.

You are a know-it-all.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

He is a know-it-all.

You’re the schmo who accused me of not having visited the neighborhood in a long time and not knowing what I’m talking about. All I have done is refute your spurious claims. I could give two shits about winning an argument with a willfully ignorant message board troll.

I actually don’t want the Sox to leave Armour Square, I want them to be a winning franchise that draws fans to the park. And for the park to have entertainment options beyond standing around it the fucking parking lot getting loaded before heading to the gates. I am simply a realist about the state of the franchise, and its future in a residential neighborhood with dwindling options for pre and post game.

The manner in which fans engage and experience baseball has drastically changed since Comiskey II opened, and the park’s fan experience is antiquated today. I’m tired of my favorite team being light years behind the rest of baseball in nearly every facet, especially from a fan experience standpoint. Change is needed and it’s not going to happen at 35th & Shields while Jerry is in power. 

• Like 3

On 10/14/2024 at 4:04 AM, tray said:

"Disagree. What have the built? Not much. It’s homes. It’s a residential area. JR has also tried to get some commercial development setup over there but has been denied by the neighborhood. It’s one of the reasons why moved ahead with the UC development area. beautiful new homes in Bridgeport though"

First the term "disinvestment" was used incorrectly by a poster who does not know what that means.

" What have the built? Not much?" 

Are you suggesting that the ISFA should finance commercial buildings around the stadium? That sounds like a good idea if/when a new Comiskey is built on the site of the original and the South side of 35th street gets a new McCuddy's and much much more.  If you build it and it has beer, they will come. 

image.jpeg

No, he literally was not approved to build things (forget the financing aspect of things). Bridgeport is very protective of their neighborhood and what gets built. Whether you think it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. But I know for a fact that he has gone at least twice to work with the neighborhood, alderman and a bunch of other political folks. 

14 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

No, he literally was not approved to build things (forget the financing aspect of things). Bridgeport is very protective of their neighborhood and what gets built. Whether you think it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter. But I know for a fact that he has gone at least twice to work with the neighborhood, alderman and a bunch of other political folks. 

This has not my experience as a Bridgeport resident, and I cited two recent developments that did not have wide community support. The neighborhood has lost a number of legacy businesses over the past decade as well, and I have a difficult time believing that the Alderman's office wouldn't be open to any development on 35th or Shields by the park that would bring more businesses to the ward. 

On 10/15/2024 at 6:51 PM, Tnetennba said:

You’re the schmo who accused me of not having visited the neighborhood in a long time and not knowing what I’m talking about. All I have done is refute your spurious claims. I could give two shits about winning an argument with a willfully ignorant message board troll.

I actually don’t want the Sox to leave Armour Square, I want them to be a winning franchise that draws fans to the park. And for the park to have entertainment options beyond standing around it the fucking parking lot getting loaded before heading to the gates. I am simply a realist about the state of the franchise, and its future in a residential neighborhood with dwindling options for pre and post game.

The manner in which fans engage and experience baseball has drastically changed since Comiskey II opened, and the park’s fan experience is antiquated today. I’m tired of my favorite team being light years behind the rest of baseball in nearly every facet, especially from a fan experience standpoint. Change is needed and it’s not going to happen at 35th & Shields while Jerry is in power. 

If antiquated in your book means convenient parking, I'm down with that. I like doing my own thing including going where I want to go in the safety of my own vehicle.