Sox looking at building in South Loop

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

No offense to soccer fans, but does anyone give a s%*# enough for a downtown soccer only stadium to be a draw? 

I’m not going to pretend to be a giant soccer fan but I think the MLS has grown enough lately where if there was a cool new stadium with a decent team then yes.  But I’ve been wrong before ha.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I’m not going to pretend to be a giant soccer fan but I think the MLS has grown enough lately where if there was a cool new stadium with a decent team then yes.  But I’ve been wrong before ha.

When Solder Field is right there, a new soccer only stadium at the 78 just doesn't make sense to me. I am not a fan of soccer or football, so what the hell do I know, but it just seems silly.

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

When Solder Field is right there, a new soccer only stadium at the 78 just doesn't make sense to me. I am not a fan of soccer or football, so what the hell do I know, but it just seems silly.

I think they want that thing roofed for soccer going forward.  Especially when the lake is right there and the season starts in February 

“My personal view is that stadiums are not a great investment,” Mansueto said. “They’re big, costly to maintain, sit empty most of the time. And so to the extent that they create value, most of that accrues to the sports team, not the municipality. So to me, it’s fair that the sports team should own it. Moreover, here in Illinois, in the City of Chicago, our finances are strained. Teachers want more money, law enforcement needs money, pension obligations. Our city and state don’t have the funds, to be candid, and so to me, we would privately finance it.”--Joe Mansueto, Fire owner.

https://soxmachine.com/2024/10/related-midwest-wants-both-the-white-sox-and-fire-for-project-78/

20 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

No offense to soccer fans, but does anyone give a s%*# enough for a downtown soccer only stadium to be a draw? 

The Fire draw right around the middle of the league despite being complete garbage and Soldier Field being a soulless hell hole for soccer. 

They'd have no problem drawing to a ~25k capacity in a stadium closer to trains and with stuff to do around it. 

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/usa-major-league-soccer-2024/1/#google_vignette

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“My personal view is that stadiums are not a great investment,” Mansueto said. “They’re big, costly to maintain, sit empty most of the time. And so to the extent that they create value, most of that accrues to the sports team, not the municipality. So to me, it’s fair that the sports team should own it. Moreover, here in Illinois, in the City of Chicago, our finances are strained. Teachers want more money, law enforcement needs money, pension obligations. Our city and state don’t have the funds, to be candid, and so to me, we would privately finance it.”--Joe Mansueto, Fire owner.

https://soxmachine.com/2024/10/related-midwest-wants-both-the-white-sox-and-fire-for-project-78/

Wow, amazing. JR looks even more like a dinkus after this comment. Pony up Jerry! No one is on your side.

Opening Day 2.jpg

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

There is no way you saw the skyline through those .

Not the entire skyline but the taller buildings and that view became better on the cat walk in center. Old Comiskey was a much shorter structure that GRate, so no doubt views of the city could be improved drastically if Old Comiskey was rebuilt on the old site or where Armor Park is. Dick, I loved the old split palladian windows and walking on the cat walk behind the scoreboard. For the Bridgeport resident, I attach a picture from a recent Opener (tailgating) I took from Parking Lot C to refresh his recollection of the area.

9 minutes ago, tray said:

We used to sit down the first base line where my father had some box seats for a few years. It was a great view of the park and beyond. As far as the view out the windows, I did not mean you could walk up to them and look out, or a lot of people would have fallen down 40 feet or so.

6 hours ago, tray said:

Opening Day 2.jpg

Not the entire skyline but the taller buildings and that view became better on the cat walk in center. Old Comiskey was a much shorter structure that GRate, so no doubt views of the city could be improved drastically if Old Comiskey was rebuilt on the old site or where Armor Park is. Dick, I loved the old split palladian windows and walking on the cat walk behind the scoreboard. For the Bridgeport resident, I attach a picture from a recent Opener (tailgating) I took from Parking Lot C to refresh his recollection of the area.

But the re was an upper deck blocking more than half that view including the tops of the buildings which you would need to see for a skyline view.I tried to attach a photo of what you are talking about but it’s too big. There is no way you saw what you claimed.  If you sat way up in the upper deck, you would have had a little skyline. Not stunning, but enough to whet your appetite. For the lower deck there is no way you would be able to see 200 feet in the air from those openings, especially from the first base side. Take off the upper 2/3 s of this photo and you will have what you might have been able to see. And that isn’t very impressive.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 10/18/2024 at 1:21 PM, Tnetennba said:

I think part of the Bears pitch is tearing down Soldier Field to the colonnades and making the inside public parks.

37 minutes ago, Quin said:

I think part of the Bears pitch is tearing down Soldier Field to the colonnades and making the inside public parks.

The Bears want to tear down the present Soldier Field and want the tax payers to pay for tearing it down.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

But the re was an upper deck blocking more than half that view including the tops of the buildings which you would need to see for a skyline view.I tried to attach a photo of what you are talking about but it’s too big. There is no way you saw what you claimed.  If you sat way up in the upper deck, you would have had a little skyline. Not stunning, but enough to whet your appetite. For the lower deck there is no way you would be able to see 200 feet in the air from those openings, especially from the first base side. Take off the upper 2/3 s of this photo and you will have what you might have been able to see. And that isn’t very impressive.

Weren't all of the Robert Taylor homes in the way?

Funny, I know what the view from lot C looks like, because I walk by the park from the Red Line regularly. But I do know the first base line at Old Comiskey faced east, and your site lines for views beyond the park wouldn't be great. I mean, who doesn't love a good view of the IIT smokestack. It's also really hard to see the skyline from 34th street, or from Martha's Vineyard for that matter. But I do love a good passive aggressive sub tweet from someone who can't admit they are full of s%*#.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You would have a nice view of the trees in Armour Park.

If you sat in the upper deck on the first base side you did have a view of the skyline, not great but a view.

IMG_0075.jpeg

That was the photo I tried to upload. If you were right in the back of LF you might have had a chance, but he said he was on the first base side. 

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That was the photo I tried to upload. If you were right in the back of LF you might have had a chance, but he said he was on the first base side. 

Went to a couple hundred games from 1955-1990 and I probably sat up there more than other part of the park along with the right-outfield upper deck. 
Let’s face it, if fans want great skyline views, they need a new park at 78.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1