Sox looking at building in South Loop

32 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

That's something his family is going to continue to own after he is dead.

God help Bulls fans. It's amazing the gift Michael Jordan gave him, and his effort to try to mess it up. Pro basketball failed in Chicago. Then came back, was pretty good, but not great, Then MJ, and it's sellouts every night. He leaves, the team has never been so bad, but still sellouts. Now he can't get their games on cable, is fielding yet another lousy team, and interest is finally starting to fade. I used to be a huge Bulls fan, even before Michael. With Norm Van Lier, and Artis Gilmore....I watched whatever I could and would listen to Jim Durham on the radio for the rest. Since the demise of DRose, I look at it, but not engaged. The NBA as a whole, kind of bores me. I like watching Curry hoist 3's. but that seems to be the whole game now. Good analytically, boring to watch IMO. but a lot of people love it. I do think the Bulls are an exception. Their fans are starting to have had enough of being taken advantage of. What the Bulls do prove, is even if the Sox had stellar attendance, JR was still going to field a lousy team, just like he would at a new $2 billion stadium.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The Bears bought some land in Arlington Heights. That is where they will end up. The White Sox, who knows? But wherever they go, their owner will have to break out the checkbook.

If JR actually sells the White Sox. I would think he wouldn't be bothered with the new stadium. I would think he would have the new owner deal with the new stadium.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

God help Bulls fans. It's amazing the gift Michael Jordan gave him, and his effort to try to mess it up. Pro basketball failed in Chicago. Then came back, was pretty good, but not great, Then MJ, and it's sellouts every night. He leaves, the team has never been so bad, but still sellouts. Now he can't get their games on cable, is fielding yet another lousy team, and interest is finally starting to fade. I used to be a huge Bulls fan, even before Michael. With Norm Van Lier, and Artis Gilmore....I watched whatever I could and would listen to Jim Durham on the radio for the rest. Since the demise of DRose, I look at it, but not engaged. The NBA as a whole, kind of bores me. I like watching Curry hoist 3's. but that seems to be the whole game now. Good analytically, boring to watch IMO. but a lot of people love it. I do think the Bulls are an exception. Their fans are starting to have had enough of being taken advantage of. What the Bulls do prove, is even if the Sox had stellar attendance, JR was still going to field a lousy team, just like he would at a new $2 billion stadium.

How many years did they refuse to pay the luxury tax while leading the league in attendance? Jerry has cared more about getting his revenue sharing free money than fielding winning teams for two decades. Different orgs, same JR.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

If JR actually sells the White Sox. I would think he wouldn't be bothered with the new stadium. I would think he would have the new owner deal with the new stadium.

The fact that JR is finding out that Chicago is not going to bend over backwards on the new stadium is why I believe JR will sell the team. He is going to let the new owner fight the battle. 

42 minutes ago, Rocky said:

The fact that JR is finding out that Chicago is not going to bend over backwards on the new stadium is why I believe JR will sell the team. He is going to let the new owner fight the battle. 

Won't he take a huge tax hit if he sells the team while he is still alive? He bought the team for around 25 million I believe and it is now valued over 1 billion. Seems like a big tax bill will be due if he sells while still alive. 

JR is a one trick pony. The threats to move the team will be increasing in frequency. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Won't he take a huge tax hit if he sells the team while he is still alive? He bought the team for around 25 million I believe and it is now valued over 1 billion. Seems like a big tax bill will be due if he sells while still alive. 

JR is a one trick pony. The threats to move the team will be increasing in frequency. 

He doesn't own the entire team, so he isn't paying the entire tax hit.  The historic estimate is 20%.

• Like 1