John Brebbia signs with Sox, Romy DFA'd/claimed by Red Sox

55 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Barlow probably makes it.

edit: especially if Santos misses time. Does anyone even know if he’s hurt? I’ve seen like one person here suggest he may be injured and has no value but I haven’t really seen anything myself.

Good cal on Barlow.  I believe Santos has started a throwing program in hopes of being ready for opening day.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Going off the current roster / invitees:

x = player with minor league options

Rotation:

1. Dylan Cease x
  2. Michael Kopech x
  3. Erick Fedde
  4. Michael Soroka
  5. Chris Flexen

Bullpen:

• John Brebbia
  • Tanner Banks x
  • Tim Hill
  • Deivi Garcia
  • Jimmy Lambert
  • Lane Ramsey x
  • Shane Drohan (Rule 5) x
  • Touki Toussaint (Swingman)

Injured Reserve:

• Matt Foster x
  • Davis Martin x
  • Gregory Santos x

Open season in AAA: (All x) Cousin, Crochet, Eder, Leasure, Mena, Nastrini, Peralta, Scholtens, Shuster, Speas

I must be missing something with Ramsay because he’s never been good in AAA in his many stops there.  Shocked he’s even on the 40 man.  Honestly, I think him or Lambert may get cut to make the Brebbia signing official.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I must be missing something with Ramsay because he’s never been good in AAA in his many stops there.  Shocked he’s even on the 40 man.  Honestly, I think him or Lambert may get cut to make the Brebbia signing official.

Yep. How much time is Foster supposed to miss? I feel like he can be a lock to be carried a bit longer if they can put him on the 60-day IL to open up a spot in a month.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

41 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yep. How much time is Foster supposed to miss? I feel like he can be a lock to be carried a bit longer if they can put him on the 60-day IL to open up a spot in a month.

Feels like Foster is going to miss some time given when his surgery was, so perhaps they view him as a guy who go on the 60 day like you said and open up a roster spot for Leasure or a non roster invitee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s a guess for a lot of these guys at this point, with flexibility for those who are healthy and pitching well out of camp. They can move him down if he makes it through camp.

I like the fact the bullpen is mostly young, and 25% + of payroll isn’t committed to it. Depending on how the season goes, a few guys should be pleasant surprises who can continue here or be flipped depending on how things go.

I hope they sign / invite a few more guys. Still think 80 ish wins can take the division, thinking the Tigers most likely to add before ST and at the deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Aren’t they planning for Crochet to start the year in the pen and stretching him out there with multiple innings?

I think if the plan is to stretch him out, the plan should also be to not use up his service time and if it's possible to gain some of it back and keep him on a starting pitching schedule . If he's in the bullpen you can't say we are only going to pitch you every 5th day.

That's why I said I thought for sure he would spend at least half the year in the minors.

If by some miracle he stays healthy and they can regain some service time to  be able get him slowly up to 5 innings , he would become more valuable as a starting pitcher to then establish a longer period of time as a starter with the Sox until which, at some point, he can be traded.

Of course it all depends on keeping him healthy which is a very very tall order.

I know Getz mentioned him being on the Sox this year but I can't imagine him being there until he is stretched out on a starting pitcher's schedule when they feel he can give them at least 4 -5 innings and close to 100 pitches per start.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

edit: especially if Santos misses time. Does anyone even know if he’s hurt? I’ve seen like one person here suggest he may be injured and has no value but I haven’t really seen anything myself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Probably.  Santos felt inflammation in his right elbow in September but all of his medical reports came back clean.

Thanks, worth watching his spring training progress. 

Edited by ptatc

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

the plan should also be to not use up his service time

Since he’s in the majors and was injured there, he’s been racking up time while recovering - right?

38 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Is this a classic elbow rehab and waiting to see how it holds up? 

Resting and rehabbing didn't work out so well for Rodon, Dunning and Martin did it? They all wound up having TJ. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Since he’s in the majors and was injured there, he’s been racking up time while recovering - right?

I won't pretend to know all the service time rules. According to Baseball Reference the Sox have him for 3 more years. Free Agency in 2027.

If there's even a remote possibility of keeping him healthy enough to be a viable starting pitcher if the Sox can regain a year so much the better. Not sure if that's possible unless they keep him in the minors all year. But someone with a better understanding of service time rules may make it clearer.

5 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He was shut down the last few weeks of the season due to “elbow inflammation.”

Everyone is assuming he is going to tear his UCL as soon as he starts pitching again this season. 

It’s a valid concern/expectation, especially considering we just saw the same story happen with Davis Martin the previous year.

8 hours ago, Sambuca said:

He was shut down the last few weeks of the season due to “elbow inflammation.”

Everyone is assuming he is going to tear his UCL as soon as he starts pitching again this season. 

It’s a valid concern/expectation, especially considering we just saw the same story happen with Davis Martin the previous year.

And the fact that after the Sox medical staff prescribed "rest and rehab" both Dunning and Rodon wound up having to have surgery anyway. And Santos injury was officially said to be "forearm soreness."

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And the fact that after the Sox medical staff prescribed "rest and rehab" both Dunning and Rodon wound up having to have surgery anyway. And Santos injury was officially said to be "forearm soreness."

Conservative care is nearly always the first option unless the tests show significant laxity with the joint play. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How many years did Liam pitch with a partial UCL tear?

Not sure. This is where the manual tests come in to play. Just because a tear shows up on imaging doesn't mean it impacts there function. 

The classic example of this is the studies on herniated discs. They took a 1000 people with no history of back pain and subjected them to MRI evaluation. Over 40% were diagnosed with herniated discs. Tissue derangement doesn't necessarily correlate with dysfunction. 

That why I tell my students the definition of MRI is More Radiographic Income. They are a helpful piece of the puzzle but should not be solely relied upon. 

Edited by ptatc

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

Conservative care is nearly always the first option unless the tests show significant laxity with the joint play. 

FWIW, I think there's a very good chance the Dodgers are using the opposite perspective. I think if guys show evidence of damage they are defaulting towards getting the surgery done. I can't think of a single pitcher they've tried to "Rest" after showing evidence of a partial elbow tear, can anyone?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, I think there's a very good chance the Dodgers are using the opposite perspective. I think if guys show evidence of damage they are defaulting towards getting the surgery done. I can't think of a single pitcher they've tried to "Rest" after showing evidence of a partial elbow tear, can anyone?

Dang, that's almost malpractice by the medical team. 

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Dang, that's almost malpractice by the medical team. 

I don't know this for sure, but I think there's a pretty strong case to be made to do it for both sides. If you're convinced that "moderate damage is very likely to lead to the surgery", and you find a guy who has moderate damage to the point of elbow soreness, getting it done would be the quickest way to get the guy back. If you wait 6 months, and the guy needs the surgery anyway, you have wasted 6 months or more of the guy's career and delayed his rehab by 6 months or more. This could cost the team use of a pre-arbitration player, and could cost the player performance before they hit free agency.

• Like 1