White Sox offseason ranked 23rd and incomplete before yesterday’s trades

caulfield12

23. Chicago White Sox: C

With a blockbuster trade of Dylan Cease still looming over this organization — and not knowing whether such a deal will come before Opening Day or late July — it's a bit difficult to judge Chicago's offseason as it continues its rebuild. I dig the Erick Fedde and Martin Maldonado signings, but analyzing the moves GM Chris Getz has made thus far as the White Sox enter a year with little to no expectations of competing is relatively frivolous as long as Cease remains on the roster. Nailing the Cease trade will be the most important thing Getz will do in the coming months, and the return will go a long way toward confirming or invalidating his decision to hang onto the prized pitcher through much of the winter. We'll go C for Cease but honestly, consider this grade incomplete. 

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/mlb-offseason-grades-dodgers-braves-yankees-earn-highest-marks

Edited by caulfield12

Weird to see the Royals and Tigers getting so much praise…but especially KC.

9. Detroit Tigers: B-

It might have been somewhat overshadowed by Kansas City's unlikely spending spree, but Detroit also made a bevy of nice moves to strengthen a roster that quietly won a respectable 78 games last year and appears to be in realistic position to make a surprise playoff push. I'm much more bullish on the Kenta Maeda signing than the Jack Flaherty one, but both should help fortify an otherwise young rotation, while the trade for Mark Canha still stands out as one of my favorite smaller deals of the entire winter. Extending top prospect Colt Keith was a great note for the Tigers to seemingly end the offseason on. I kinda wish they did even more, to be honest. On the whole, though, solid work all around. 

8. Kansas City Royals: B

No team has handed out more MLB deals to free agents this offseason than the Royals' seven, a fairly shocking fact for a team coming off a 106-loss campaign. Granted, I'm a lot more encouraged by the additions of Seth Lugo and Michael Wacha than I am of Adam Frazier, Garrett Hampson and Will Smith, but hey, a big-league signing is a big-league signing! Mired in the depths of a rebuild, Kansas City finally decided to put some real money toward a pitching staff that has struggled immensely in recent seasons. With two franchise pillars to build around in Bobby Witt Jr. and Cole Ragans, there is still a ton of work to be done to build this roster back into a legitimate playoff threat. Nevertheless, the moves that were made in an effort to return to competence, if not contention, are worthy of a strong grade.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I grabbed the over of 63.5 at +100 odds on DK earlier. It's not going to be pretty but 64 wins is all it takes.

I think that's a good bet. They will be bad, but you almost have to try to lose 99 games. The only worry you have is Pedro is still the manager.

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

10. Chicago Cubs: B-

wat

They should probably get a C and an incomplete.  They replaced Stroman and I think they improved their bullpen a bit.  They also added a 1B/DH.  But I wouldn’t be surprised if they add Cody Bellinger and/or Matt Chapman eventually.

Shota Imanaga

Hector Neris

Richard Lovelady

Duane Underwood Jr.

Michael Busch

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think that's a good bet. They will be bad, but you almost have to try to lose 99 games. The only worry you have is Pedro is still the manager.

I'm hoping the better defense helps get to that mark from last year. Can't catch the walks and balls over the fence though.