Milwaukee Brewers sign Gary Sanchez to a $7M one year deal

I liked us picking up Max Stassi. ZIPs seems to like him, too. I would have rather grabbed up Sanchez than Maldonado. However, I don't think that Sanchez at $7 million would have been available to the White Sox. We'd probably pay a premium to get a player anybody else wants to babysit a bunch of pitching projects. Pretty much anybody who owned a catcher's mitt would be better than Maldonado, that is, unless he came here for the inside track to be the next bench coach, or something like that. 

Agreed. I preferred Stassi and Perez to start, with Lee or Quero, picked up any guy available with an injury.

We don’t need Sanchez.

We never needed Grandal.

We don’t need Maldonado, but that’s water under the bridge. Hoping they consider him for a future coaching role if he is interested.

And yes, I meant Oakland A’s organization, not the city in the post in the Vegas thread.

• Like 1

Getting Stassi for free made giving Maldonado $4.25 million a strange decision.  May as well see what Korey Lee can do.  He is going to likely hit just as bad as Maldonado but at least he’s still somewhat young and could maybe turn something.  AAA at bats aren’t going to prove he is much of anything.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getting Stassi for free made giving Maldonado $4.25 million a strange decision.  May as well see what Korey Lee can do.  He is going to likely hit just as bad but maybe he can play defense.

Well the rolled there is that Stassi has missed so much time and that apparently there is a lot of work that Lee needs to do with all the other aspects of the game than throwing the ball.

Him hitting in the low 100s is not doing him any favors...need to let him build some confidence up first on the offense side again.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well the rolled there is that Stassi has missed so much time and that apparently there is a lot of work that Lee needs to do with all the other aspects of the game than throwing the ball.

Him hitting in the low 100s is not doing him any favors...need to let him build some confidence up first on the offense side again.

Instead, we’ll watch Maldonado hit in the .100’s while paying him over $4 million.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Instead, we’ll watch Maldonado hit in the .100’s while paying him over $4 million.

50% of this comes down to which catcher can best maximize Cease's trade value between now and the trade deadline...along with maybe getting through to Kopech.

If they felt Lee was ready at all, there wasn't any discernible reason to sign two veterans when they could have stayed with Seby or Perez instead.

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

We never needed Grandal.

I think Grandal had a hit tool, and was a good framer when they signed him. I almost wonder if Hahn had become self-conscious, reading the blogs, or whatnot. Grandal was the framing OG, but he didn't seem to do much of anything else well behind the plate. All of that went away after his first year. 

Stassi and Perez would have worked.