2024 MiLB Catch All

DirtySox

Especially curious to get a look at Pierce George after reading this from a scout:

His praise went even further for George. The towering 6-foot-6, 240-pound righty out of Alabama elicited a Mason Miller comparison from Cummings. Miller, an American League All-Star reliever for the Oakland Athletics, throws his fastball in the 102 to 103 mile-per-hour range. Cummings said George can do the same, topping out at 102 MPH. “If we get this guy in the zone more consistently, he might have the best stuff in the draft,” Cummings said about George.

https://www.chathamanglers.com/chatham-angler-news/2024/2197/White-Sox-Front-Office-Talks-5-A’S-Alumni-Selections-In-2024-MLB-Draft

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

See, I get excited about him, then Paul Janish says something stupid like this:

“He leads the league in personality, No. 1. That’s my favorite thing about him. In terms of ceiling, that’s a really difficult thing to say. What I will say is that he’s produced so far, leads the minor leagues in runs scored. He is infectious in the clubhouse, all that stuff. He plays a very good second base and is versatile, plays the outfield as well. It is a unique profile, right, because he’s not knocking the outfield wall down per say, but he is productive. The name of the game is to score runs and he’s good at that. Just excited about him. Everything he’s doing, he’s having a great first full season and I don’t see any reason to not expect him to continue to do so.”

Personality isn't a baseball skill you idiot.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah that first sentence is an immediate eyeroll. 

Dude has an OBP of .420 this year at both levels combined. His BABIP is skyhigh, but he's also walking more than striking out.

Talk about literally any of that before "he leads the league in personality." Yoan Moncada dropped a fucking bop, the team seemingly had fun about it, and to this day it infuriates fans.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

See, I get excited about him, then Paul Janish says something stupid like this:

Personality isn't a baseball skill you idiot.

I believe Chuck asked a question about him being fun and entertaining etc

• Thanks 2

I mean...if you've watched Nishida, I literally can't imaging talking about him without mentioning his personality. 

The fact that he plays the game with such obvious joy makes him emphatically calling himself safe after hustling out IF singles and putting defenses on edge dancing on the basepaths so much fun to watch.

It's not a "skill" but it absolutely is a unique part of his game.

• Love 2

One key note in that Smith/Schultz piece is that they don't plan on having Smith join the Barons playoff staff.

I assume Schultz will pitch, but I'm curious who replaces Iriarte who I suspect would have gotten game 1.

A surprise reinforcement on the other side of the ball though...? 

• Like 1

A few roster moves in addition to the Nishida promotion:

• C Weston Eberly, who got called up from WS to Charlotte with the Quero IL trip, heads down to Bham
  • Hackenberg heads from Bham to Charlotte to take his spot
  • Smith-Njigba also up to Charlotte
  • 15th rounder Mason Moore joins Kanny
  • UDFA 2B Miguel Santos takes Nishida's spot in WS