How can they invoke the diminished skills clause?

RedPinStripes

That's if it really exists. I dont think it does.

His average might be down, but he did just come off major surgury and has very close to 100 rbi's and 30 HR. What is so terrible about that? He's obviously getting clutch hits.

I haven't turned into a frank apologist. If they will get a top notch pither, let him go. I'll deal with it since we have enough offense. If frank goes, I doubt it will be because of the clause. It will be a trade. And I do believe KW is doing whatever he can to dump him. He deserves another year unless they're going to get a true ace!:mad:

What would you rather do

Dump Frank and keep Caballo and Foulke or dump them two and Keep Frank.

I got to say if Frank can stay healthy and produce, I'll dump the other two and then add a frontline pitcher that way and try to add a left handed reliever or a lower price reliever to replace him.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

What would you rather do

Dump Frank and keep Caballo and Foulke or dump them two and Keep Frank.

I got to say if Frank can stay healthy and produce, I'll dump the other two and then add a frontline pitcher that way and try to add a left handed reliever or a lower price reliever to replace him.

I would dump those two and keep Frank. A) Lee and Foulke would get us more in return, and B) I think Frank will have a better year next year than either of them.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well heres what frank has to say about his job... from the mlb boards ....

Thomas insists he'll return to Sox

Slugger could become free agent if clause invoked

By Jimmy Greenfield / MLB.com

Thomas has hit .340 with eight homers and 21 RBIs since Aug. 24. (Mike Fisher/AP)

CHICAGO -- Frank Thomas refused to accept what amounted to a lifetime achievement standing ovation from the final Comiskey Park crowd of the 2002 season.

"You guys (the media) planted it in their minds," Thomas said.

That cynical reaction came about after Thomas completed what may have been the final home game in his 12-year career with the White Sox.

Thomas knows that Sox fans have been reading for months how team officials may decide to invoke a diminishing skills clause in his contract.

If so, Thomas would be paid $250,000 for the next four seasons while the remaining portion of his contract -- nearly $10 million per season -- would be deferred until 2009.

Frank Thomas / DH

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 275

Bats/Throws: R/R

More info:

Player page

Stats

Hit chart

whitesox.com

Or, as the fans at Comiskey were astutely aware, Thomas could declare himself a free agent and sign with another team.

That's something he said Thursday will not happen.

"I expect to be back next year fully," Thomas said.

Thomas has tried to convince the Sox that he's still one of the top offensive players in baseball by hitting .340 with eight homers and 21 RBIs since Aug. 24., the same day that his average had dropped to a season-low .231.

It's now been about 17 months since Thomas tore his right triceps that cost him all but 20 games of the 2001 season. Thomas didn't expect it to take this long to find his swing, but he was encouraged when Hall-of-Famer Joe Morgan recently told him that he experienced the same lag time in his first year back from an injury.

"It's been a difficult year for everybody and it's been tough on Frank trying to get back to his normal self," White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said. "To see the fans applaud him in that manner, I think that was a special moment for him."

Magglio Ordonez has supplanted Thomas as the premier slugger on the team, but he remembers that as recently as 2000, Thomas hit .328 with 43 homers and 143 RBIs.

"I don't know what's going on with him and his contract or whatever, but I hope he stays here," Ordonez said. "Last year he was hurt and he took a lot of time to recover. You see right now he's playing better and better at the end of the season. I know he's going to have a good year next year."

Keith Foulke / P

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 210

Bats/Throws: R/R

More info:

Player page

Stats

Splits

whitesox.com

Reliever Keith Foulke is another player that will likely head into the offseason unsure of the team's plans for him next season and admitted to being more excited than normal when he was sent out by Manuel to nail down Thursday's victory.

Foulke has been nearly unhittable in the second-half but still picked up only his second save since the All-Star break.

"It's a real nice feeling to pretty much be out there in a save situation," Foulke said. "It's one of those things where I was really kind of excited and I don't like to pitch real excited. It kind of felt like a rookie, like you do it the first time. Sometimes that makes you throw bad pitches."

Like Thomas, Foulke is heading into the offseason with his future uncertain. The Sox have explored using him as a starter next season but won't reveal their plans until after they pursue the free agent market and explore trades.

Is it acceptable to Foulke that he may not know until December what his role will be next year?

"No," he said.

Foulke quickly qualified that terse response after realizing that his desires might not be as important as the Sox need to consider all their options.

"When I leave on Sunday, that's when I want to know," Foulke said. "But a lot of times you don't get what you want. I guess either way I'm going to go out there and do my stuff. Whatever the team needs, I guess, is really what I'll do."

Good to hear Frank is happy with staying and expects to play with the Sox. I'm glad the fans gave him a good ovation and I wish he was able to do more in that at bat. I know one thing and thats that I am going to miss Thomas if he isn't around next year wearing a Sox uni.

Think if Thomas finds his old form and he comes close to 2000 and then look at Maggs current numbers and if he pulls them too, then we would have two potent potent mvp threats.

I think the Sox fans and the Organization owe it to Frank to give him one more chance to show us that he can still put up the Ted Williams-like numbers. I got on Frank this year..... I admit. This doesn't make me an apologist either RPS. But I do remember what he did for this Organization in the 90's and I think he deserves a chance to make me and RPS regret all the bad things we said about him this year..... not sliding included :D

He did a lot of great things and its hard to just say goodbye after one bad year and its one where he was out a full season due to injury.

It would be like kicking someone out of your house because they got fired after making a million a year for 4 years straight.

Lets keep Frank, he's a force in the lineup and is a great on base guy, which is always something you can use to score runs.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i too have been on franks ass all season... i realize his injury is a tough one to come back from and takes a long time to heal.. but.... i also remember what he has done here for us through out his career.. would be kinda hard to look over to the dugout and not see him sitting ondeck with the rebarb.....he aint going anywhere for a while.... jr wont pay him to go and noone else will take his money onto their payroll...i just dont see it happening.....