Sox Shopping for bargains

DBAHO

From the Chicago Tribune,

One decision down, so many more to go.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams couldn't even take a breather after naming Ozzie Guillen the team's manager Monday.

Williams huddled with advisers Tuesday to debate the merits of picking up Jose Valentin's $5 million option.

"We're talking about it right now," Williams said.

The Sox want the 34-year-old Valentin to return, but with about $49 million already committed to seven players next season, they would like to pay him less than $5 million. If they buy out the option for $500,000, they would be gambling Valentin will not sign with another team. They have until Friday to decide.

Valentin's agent, David Elston, said he believes five or six teams are looking for a shortstop and that his client could expand his options if he offers to play second or third base.

"Jose would like to play with the White Sox," Elston said. "We'd like them to pick up the option."

Elston said Valentin took less than market value when he signed a three-year, $15 million deal with an option after the 2000 season. Baltimore offered him $21.5 million over four years.

If the Sox turn down the option and try to negotiate a new deal, Elston said, "they're essentially asking him to take a pay cut from a pay cut, and I don't know if that's going to work."

Working in Valentin's favor is that the free-agent crop of shortstops is one of the weakest in years.

Beyond Miguel Tejada, who's likely out of the Sox's price range, and Rich Aurilia, who's expected to re-sign with San Francisco, the Sox would have to choose from an underwhelming list. Names include Rey Ordonez, Rey Sanchez, Jose Hernandez, Mark McLemore, Tony Womack, Deivi Cruz and former South Sider Royce Clayton.

Or they could try to swing a trade.

Valentin's batting average fell for the fourth straight year, to .237. But his production (28 homers, 74 RBIs) remained solid and he committed 20 errors, including only 13 over the season's final five months. Plus he provides a left-handed bat, which are in short supply on the Sox.

The Sox hope to bring back Valentin and have enough money left to re-sign free agents Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomar Jr., Tony Graffanino and relievers Tom Gordon and Scott Sullivan.

Gordon will have the largest asking price, perhaps $5 million per season.

Roberto Alomar wants a two-year deal, but might settle for one.

Graffanino and Sullivan told the Sox they would like to explore free agency before deciding whether to return.

Guillen's presence could help the Sox attract other free agents such as closer Ugueth Urbina and catcher Ivan Rodriguez, if only the Sox had enough money to pay them.

Both developed close ties with Guillen last season in Florida.

"I think [Miguel] Olivo's a pretty good catcher," Guillen said Monday. "He's not Pudge Rodriguez. With all due respect to Sandy and Olivo, I want him on my team. A lot of people do."

But again, it won't matter unless the Sox decide to boost their payroll.

Sandy Alomar said he's content to wait until the Sox are ready to talk about a new contract. The backup catcher made $700,000 last year.

"Kenny and I have talked," he said. "We're working on something. I'm in no rush. They know I want to be back here and they want me back. Mine is not a project, like Bartolo [Colon] was. Just a piece."

Some interesting points there. I dunno why Valentins agent is thinking there are 6 or so clubs that need a 230 hitting stone hands SS. I like the quote:

"Jose would like to play with the White Sox," Elston said. "We'd like them to pick up the option."

Well hell, I'm sure you would like them to. But its still too much for Jose.

Also, Graffy wants to test Free Agency. He may just get an offer to come play somewhere, so we may have to deal with a Graffy-less Sox team in 2004. Its a good thing that they are looking to bring back Sully, cuz I think he could be a cornerstone in our Bullpen if they keep him. Gordon, OTOH, can go get an offer of $5 mill with some other team, thats money we DON"T need to spend.

Now that is putting things in the proper perspective.

The one thing I have always disagreed with KW on is his stance on contracts. It seems like way too often I hear the Sox make these offers or actually go through with them and they are absolutely ridiculous when compraed with market value or the price you could pay someone else for that type of production.

If the Sox are going to compete at a 55-60 mill payroll then they need to be fiscally responsible and decide when its worth shelling out a few extra mill and when your better off going with the cheaper alternative. In terms of shortstop I think depending on what the Sox do, they won't need to invest big bucks in the position and considering the depth of the position, a quality shortstop will be out there for 2 mill or less. If they want to spend 5 mill fine, but do it on someone thats worth something like that and has major upside and is already a superior player to Jose...Cabrerra or look to the Japanese player no one is talking about, Itgutchi (Could be had for 2-3 Mill).

The difference in production from Jose to someone like Aurilla isn't ridiculous or worth an extra few mill, imo, especially when I firmly believe Jose could be had for 2.5 mill or less. The market is obviously soft once again and I'd hate seeing the Sox put themselves in another nightmare with another stupid contract (ala the Magglio and Konerko contract). When the Sox signed Maggs, they shoudl of never done it where the scale would increase to the point they would be paying him 14 mill this year, because it should be more then obvious that at that point the Sox wouldn't be able to compete at their intended payroll with him.

When the Sox signed Konerko, they should of been smart. Konerko had some upside, but he also was still a 5 mill player or so and that type of contract would of been more then fair. Kenny overestimated what he was worth and did so to prevent Konerko to taking the Sox to arbitration, where as of late the player almost never wins.

Kenny, Hahn and whoever else deals with contracts, you guys better sharpen up and study what similar players are making and make analysts. Decide whther its worth spending that extra few mill in that area, or investing it in another one. For example...would that extra 3 mill be spent going from Aurilla to Jose or adding another reliever or two to the pen or getting a 5th starter or whatever.

I'm happy the Sox didn't sign Colon because his contract was ridiculous when you look at how he pitched. Yes, he's a good pitcher, but he was incredibly streaky and is getting paid like an ace, not just an ace of the Sox, but one of the best pitchers in the majors. Frankly, he wasn't the ace the Sox expected him to be. He was good, but not great. Sure he came on down the strecth, but the games in April, May and June are just as important as the ones in August and September.

Frankly, the Sox wouldn't be losing a tremendous amount in production if they went with someone like Ponson who would cost about 6 mil a year less, freeing up room for the Sox to make a serious upgrade to the pen or add someone like Castillo, or add a 5th starter or add a series of players.

In closing the key word in the day has to be financial responsibility.

Interesting, who is this Itgutchi you speak of?

Played both 2nd and ss in japan the past few years. He's 28, same age as Matsui and is better in all areas except power. He's probably not as good of a defensive player either, but I read where he's a very good defensive player, Matsui's supposed to be a Gold Glover.

Let me find the link on him. He'd be a tremendous leadoff hitter and I think he'll be more sucessful once he moves to the majors because he has a great eye and doesn't strike out too much, which is the exact opposite of Matsui. I tend to think matsui won't be near the player many pan him out to be. I think he'll be solid, but nothing great. Igutchi could be a pretty fun guy to watch at the top of the order and he's expected to draw far less attention then Ichiro.

Here's a link on him

Interesting, who is this Itgutchi you speak of?

I think he's referring to Kaz Matsui, I've neva heard of Itgutchi? I hope the White Sox aren't just gonna resign Jose cos he's a left handed hitter and we need as many of those as we can.

Played both 2nd and ss in japan the past few years.  He's 28, same age as Matsui and is better in all areas except power.  He's probably not as good of a defensive player either, but I read where he's a very good defensive player.

Let me find the link on him.  He'd be a tremendous leadoff hitter and I think he'll be more sucessful once he moves to the majors because he has a great eye and rarely strikes out, which is the exact opposite of Matsui.  I tend to think matsui won't be near the player many pan him out to be.  I think he'll be solid, but nothing great.  Itgutchi could be a pretty fun guy to watch at the top of the order and he's expected to draw far less attention then Ichiro.

Here's a link on him

Well the more leadoff SS hitters we can find, the betta. Definitely worth lookin at if he's only asking for less than Matsui. Nice find there Chisoxfn.

Played both 2nd and ss in japan the past few years.  He's 28, same age as Matsui and is better in all areas except power.  He's probably not as good of a defensive player either, but I read where he's a very good defensive player, Matsui's supposed to be a Gold Glover.

Let me find the link on him.  He'd be a tremendous leadoff hitter and I think he'll be more sucessful once he moves to the majors because he has a great eye and doesn't strike out too much, which is the exact opposite of Matsui.  I tend to think matsui won't be near the player many pan him out to be.  I think he'll be solid, but nothing great.  Igutchi could be a pretty fun guy to watch at the top of the order and he's expected to draw far less attention then Ichiro.

Here's a link on him

Thanks for the info. I think he'd be a good pickup for the sox. Sounds like just the kind of guy we need.

Any word on whether he bats left-handed or right? Cause if he bats left that would be a major bonus.

Bats righty...here is a link for his stats Igutchi

After looking at them, you can see he was a solid shortstop but I'm guessing he moved for a lack of range or something along those lines. Still, he had some very good years at shortstop. Offensively though, this was his first year, so if any team invests in him, I think they shouldn't pay too much.

I would say 1.5 or 2 mill max. He wants to come here and it would be a 100% raise over what he was making. I got a feeling he'd accept this and the Sox would be taking on a risk with a very good upside and if he pans out he would fill in the seats and make the Sox a lot better. If he doesn't, he doesn't cost you much and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to move him somewhere else at that salary or just let him play d and run.

Played both 2nd and ss in japan the past few years.  He's 28, same age as Matsui and is better in all areas except power.  He's probably not as good of a defensive player either, but I read where he's a very good defensive player, Matsui's supposed to be a Gold Glover.

Let me find the link on him.  He'd be a tremendous leadoff hitter and I think he'll be more sucessful once he moves to the majors because he has a great eye and doesn't strike out too much, which is the exact opposite of Matsui.  I tend to think matsui won't be near the player many pan him out to be.  I think he'll be solid, but nothing great.  Igutchi could be a pretty fun guy to watch at the top of the order and he's expected to draw far less attention then Ichiro.

Here's a link on him

Thanks for the info. I think he'd be a good pickup for the sox. Sounds like just the kind of guy we need.

Any word on whether he bats left-handed or right? Cause if he bats left that would be a major bonus.

Just found out he bats right but he's still a good pickup in my book. If we have willie at second that'd be a nice 1-2 punch to start us off. Here's his stats.

Iguchi

Was lookin at the Team Fly-Bys on Foxsports.com and here's some FA news,

Minnesota reliever and free agent LaTroy Hawkins says he's already been contacted by the Yankees and likes the idea of playing in New York

GM Kenny Williams reportedly wanted to name Cito Gaston as Guillen's bench coach, but Guillen balked at the idea

Boston has begun preliminary contract talks with reliever Mike Timlin

The M's may wait to see what becomes of Dan Evans in Los Angeles before naming a new GM. Paul Molitor has been hired as the team's new hitting coach.

The Tribe may have interest in signing Marlins 2B Luis Castillo this off-season.

If TB is unable to lure Gary Sheffield this winter, they may turn their attentions to Mike Cameron, Reggie Sanders or Carl Everett

St. Louis has declined its option on LHP Sterling Hitchcock, but will attempt to sign him at a lower price

RHP Miguel Batista wants a more clearly defined role before he'll consider re-signing with Arizona.

LHP Royce Ring could be the Mets' closer in 2004

Talks with OF Matt Stairs about a contract for 2004 have stalled, and the outfielder has filed for free agency from Pittsburgh.

The Rox may attempt to trade OF Jay Payton this winter.

Also interesting to see the D-Backs signed some1 to a Director of Latin Operations. Do the Sox have any1 like this in this type of a position? Maybe it would help us sign some good young prospects who go undrafted e.g Miguel Cabrera

If the Indians are looking to sign Castillo, does that mean Phillips is on the market or are they going to finally unload Vizquel and move Phillips to short. Didn't they have someone play pretty solid down the strecth at short for them (Young guy...made some spectacular plays). I just can't think of his name.