Sox Shopping for bargains

DBAHO

If the Indians are looking to sign Castillo, does that mean Phillips is on the market or are they going to finally unload Vizquel and move Phillips to short. Didn't they have someone play pretty solid down the strecth at short for them (Young guy...made some spectacular plays).  I just can't think of his name.

Brandon Phillips still needs way more time. He's got no plate disclipine whatsoeva. Young guy for Cleveland, hmmm, might have benn Jhonny Perolta who's actually younger than Phillips, born in 82. Hit .227 in 77 games. Probably not a long term soultion unless he picks it up in the next few years.

Valentin's agent, David Elston, said he believes five or six teams are looking for a shortstop and that his client could expand his options if he offers to play second ..

I don't think having 5 offers from Independent League teams will be much bargaining leverage.

I would never spend 5 million on Jose. He's mediocre defensively, is slow and has no foot speed, has streaky power (in spurts - 5 HR in a week and then none for the rest of the month), and is not a good hitter with RISP.

I'd rather have Ozzie suit up at SS to be a player/manager than re-sign Valentin.

What a about this dream?

Guillen's presence could help the Sox attract other free agents such as closer Ugueth Urbina and catcher Ivan Rodriguez, if only the Sox had enough money to pay them.

Both developed close ties with Guillen last season in Florida.

"I think [Miguel] Olivo's a pretty good catcher," Guillen said Monday. "He's not Pudge Rodriguez. With all due respect to Sandy and Olivo, I want him on my team. A lot of people do."

Pudge on the Sox... :cheers We dont have a smile dreaming??

I hope this is incorrect.

Williams has some big decisions to make with shortstop Jose Valentin and relief pitcher Tom "Flash'' Gordon, both eligible for free agency.

Valentin is expected to be offered a two-year contract for $10 million, but Gordon's price might be too high after he went 7-6 with a 3.16 ERA and 12 saves last season. In his last 18 relief appearances, Gordon allowed just 2 runs on 6 hits over 18º innings.

Link to entire atricle

GM Kenny Williams reportedly wanted to name Cito Gaston as Guillen's bench coach, but Guillen balked at the idea

This is the hugest load of BS.

What Steff, that Guillen balked at the idea, or that he was ever offered the Bench coach job?

GM Kenny Williams reportedly wanted to name Cito Gaston as Guillen's bench coach, but Guillen balked at the idea

What Steff, that Guillen balked at the idea, or that he was ever offered the Bench coach job?

That Cito would be Ozzie's bench coach. Just when I think they can't get any more stupid.. they do. I'm going to again stand behind what I was told and believe that Cito priced himself out of this on purpose. The guy wanted more money to spend... they said no. So now they insult him in the media by saying "maybe he's worthy of being a bench coach.." Paaleeeease. KW is getting on my very last nerve.. I'm this/close to ringing his doorbell... :angry:

Jason, the only problem you left out in regards to Iguchi, is that to obtain him, the Sox would have to outbid any other interested MLB teams. He is not a free agent, so there would be a bid process like there was with Ichiro and Irabu.

Plus, I don't see a Japanese player coming to the states for $1.5 million. Just a hunch.

That Cito would be Ozzie's bench coach. Just when I think they can't get any more stupid.. they do. I'm going to again stand behind what I was told and believe that Cito priced himself out of this on purpose. The guy wanted more money to spend... they said no. So now they insult him in the media by saying "maybe he's worthy of being a bench coach.." Paaleeeease. KW is getting on my very last nerve.. I'm this/close to ringing his doorbell... :angry:

And exactly how do you know that Williams did indeed say this?

Why is it that you believe all these media people are telling the truth?

News flash: They aren't. They're all in competition with one another to get the best story out, and stuff gets embellished ALL THE TIME.

And exactly how do you know that Williams did indeed say this?

Why is it that you believe all these media people are telling the truth?

News flash: They aren't. They're all in competition with one another to get the best story out, and stuff gets embellished ALL THE TIME.

I don't.. what part of "This is the hugest load of BS" on the previous page did you not understand Jim..?

I wouldn't mind this Japanese SS. It is basically I want anything except Jose for $5 million.

I also recall hearing on the tv a while back, that the Tribe were looking for a second basemen, and may be willing to move Phillips. I would love to bring him in, and resign Robbie to play until Phillips is ready.

Steff, the part I don't understand is why you're crucifying KW in all of this, you said you want to go over and ring his doorbell.

If the media is making something up, as you claim and we agree on that, what's your beef with Williams in this issue?

Steff, the part I don't understand is why you're crucifying KW in all of this, you said you want to go over and ring his doorbell.

If the media is making something up, as you claim and we agree on that, what's your beef with Williams in this issue?

I think it is more like to kick his ass...

I think it is more like to kick his ass...

:cheers

Let's see....Sox shopping for bargains...Jose signed for 4 million instead of 5....MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Let's see...Where do you find bargains at Sears??? Oh yes, the bargain basement! A few more moves like these and the basement will be home sweet home. Go go Kenny! And keep going until you're gone.

I'm really starting to think that KW is doing a decent job, but he is, in his mind, contradicting himself. He wants to keep key parts here that have been loyal to the club, and he wants to field a team that regardless of costs will compete well, but still is restricted by JR and the cheap regime. Therefore, sometimes he makes moves that are good money-wise(Sandy at 500-700K, bringing in 2-3 vet starters to ST to compete), but then he makes bone-headed moves like JosE6 at 5 mill and the obsurd contracts for Konerko and the severly backloaded Maggs contract.

KW has too many conflicts of interest in his head, with being still a new GM, wanting to get talent to the Southside, club loyalty, JR's cheapness, etc. I don't envy him at all.

So wait a minute, the guy who claimed to be one of a few people to see Frank Thomas's contract is asking a person outside of the organization, what is going on in the organization that he is involved in??? :bang

I can't positively speak for Corg, but I do think he was being facetious. :huh: