MLB expansion stories...

Lip Man 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Vivek Ranadivé, owner of the (Sacramento) Kings and River Cats, expressed optimism about Sacramento’s potential to secure a permanent MLB team.

“I’ve been in touch with the commissioner ... they will be creating a new team,” Ranadivé told reporters during a press interview last month. “They want it to be on the West Coast. They’d love for it to be in California.”

By showcasing that Sacramento has the market and can “make the team successful,” he said there’s a chance to get the new franchise.

“There’s no guarantee,” he added. “You know, we have to show what we can do, and I have complete confidence that if we set our mind to something, this is an incredible city.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mlb-stay-sacramento-oakland-called-123000921.html

Edited by caulfield12

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Vivek Ranadivé, owner of the (Sacramento) Kings and River Cats, expressed optimism about Sacramento’s potential to secure a permanent MLB team.

“I’ve been in touch with the commissioner ... they will be creating a new team,” Ranadivé told reporters during a press interview last month. “They want it to be on the West Coast. They’d love for it to be in California.”

By showcasing that Sacramento has the market and can “make the team successful,” he said there’s a chance to get the new franchise.

“There’s no guarantee,” he added. “You know, we have to show what we can do, and I have complete confidence that if we set our mind to something, this is an incredible city.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mlb-stay-sacramento-oakland-called-123000921.html

California doesn’t need another team.

Put one in Montreal, Portland or Salt Lake City. And while you’re at it, bring back the Sonics. 

6 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Put one in Montreal, Portland or Salt Lake City. And while you’re at it, bring back the Sonics. 

I'd like to see Portland, yeah. I do agree that it has to be West Coast, so Montreal is going to be the odd man out after Nashville presumably gets one.

Salt Lake City is getting the Coyotes, so see what they can do with that before we do baseball. I'm not convinced that market is there for baseball yet.

The A's left Oakland because of no support. The Rays have had no support for years despite being good.

Where are you going to find two more places that can support teams, and where are you going to find 26 more major league quality pitchers?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The A's left Oakland because of no support. The Rays have had no support for years despite being good.

Where are you going to find two more places that can support teams, and where are you going to find 26 more major league quality pitchers?

The Sox don’t have any of this right now either and yet, Jerry is making money.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox don’t have any of this right now either and yet, Jerry is making money.

He wouldn't be making money in any TV market outside of the top 3. Replace Chicago TV money with Nashville TV money, and once the attendance and TV viewership drops off after the first few years of excitement, it's a money loser.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Why?

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

He wouldn't be making money in any TV market outside of the top 3. Replace Chicago TV money with Nashville TV money, and once the attendance and TV viewership drops off after the first few years of excitement, it's a money loser.

It seems pretty simple to me. If you can run a failing product but make money, where is the motivation to improve the product?

Opposite end, if you run a failing product and aren't making money, that's where the motivation to make changes and run things differently will come from.

The White Sox can run a mid organization and make money. The owner is perfectly fine with this approach. Things would be a lot different if they weren't making any money.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The owners could have something like $5 billion in cash or a better quality game.  I wonder which one they will pick?

2 hours ago, T R U said:

It seems pretty simple to me. If you can run a failing product but make money, where is the motivation to improve the product?

Opposite end, if you run a failing product and aren't making money, that's where the motivation to make changes and run things differently will come from.

The White Sox can run a mid organization and make money. The owner is perfectly fine with this approach. Things would be a lot different if they weren't making any money.

Professional sports shouldn't be a business for this reason. What other industry can you torpedo the quality of your product, alienate all of your clients (fans), be out-competed by every one of your competitors and still manage to turn a profit and be in a position to turn a profit for the next 100 years?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't think there is a huge market in NoCal for more baseball. As for Portland, it is the 23rd largest media market, similar to St Louis or Nashville, but that market is already saturated with Mariners fans.

I'd consider Mexico City or San Juan for expansion but not sure how that would work with taxes and security and everything. I def think Puerto Rico would support a team.

49 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd consider Mexico City or San Juan for expansion but not sure how that would work with taxes and security and everything. I def think Puerto Rico would support a team.

Mexico City elevation 7,349 ft lol. I'd be all for it for the chaos of that alone.

• Haha 1