Wonder what Thomas thinks now...

Capn12

I'm all for Ozzie, but did his comment about pitching make anyone else nervous? Hopefully Cooper can straighten him out in that respect--otherwise it could be a long season....

"(General manager) Kenny (Williams) asked me how many pitchers I would want on my staff, 11 or 12," Guillen said. "I told him give me six good ones. Five starters and one closer."

:o

Well there must have been something there to be able to make a mockery of the hiring process and still get hired.  Everyone else followed the gag rule to a T.  Except old Oz out there singing to the media everyday.  No wonder no one wants to be a part of this organization, it is a joke sometimes.

Mike.. no one else wanted this stupid job. Bell removed his name from contention the afternoon he interviewed, and Cito purposely asked for payroll $$ which he knew he wasn't going to get which took him off the table.

Mike.. no one else wanted this stupid job. Bell removed his name from contention the afternoon he interviewed, and Cito purposely asked for payroll $$ which he knew he wasn't going to get which took him off the table.

Exactly! The idiots running this place have made it so we can only have more idiots running the things in the front office and on the field. The Sox seem to be going the way of the Blackhawks. :angry: Really I am fulling expecting the Sox to get no one in FA, and go completely cheap again. Then after they can't get anyone to play here they will start dealing away players because the team isn't going to be competitive anyway...

Really I am fulling expecting the Sox to get no one in FA, and go completely cheap again.  Then after they can't get anyone to play here they will start dealing away players because the team isn't going to be competitive anyway...

I completely expect this as well.. but then I was told

"But this could be the busiest offseason in White Sox history... remember the offseason goes all the way to the day before Opening Day... I get the feeling the roster won't be set til then..."

I know at this point Dave doesn't know anymore than anyone else (I have grilled him to death :lol: ) but he has a "gut feeling" some moves will be made. So do I.. unfortunately I feel most of them will do no good.

I completely expect this as well.. but then I was told

"But this could be the busiest offseason in White Sox history... remember the offseason goes all the way to the day before Opening Day... I get the feeling the roster won't be set til then..."

I know at this point Dave doesn't know anymore than anyone else (I have grilled him to death  :lol: ) but he has a "gut feeling" some moves will be made. So do I.. unfortunately I feel most of them will do no good.

im expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.....it would be real nice to get a couple good free agents or trade for a few players....kenny has surprised me before; ie; david wells, billy koch, bartolo colon,..granted they didnt all work out, so hopefully he'll have something up his sleeve :D

I'm all for Ozzie, but did his comment about pitching make anyone else nervous? Hopefully Cooper can straighten him out in that respect--otherwise it could be a long season....

"(General manager) Kenny (Williams) asked me how many pitchers I would want on my staff, 11 or 12," Guillen said. "I told him give me six good ones. Five starters and one closer."

Ozzie saw what good pitching looks like in pavano, beckett, et al...

I don't blame him for his stance. In reality we'll utilize our relief corps, but I think any manager would love 5 starters to go 8+ innings every night. He's letting Kenny know that he wants to get some FAs, as well.

Looks like we have a new member.... welcome!

I wouldn't worry about that comment from Ozzie. I would guess it is as much a joke as anything. Or perhaps a joke with a subconscious hint that he wants them to pick up a quality starter or two.

Nice catch Rex, welcome in ChiSoxy... :cheers

The person who makes out the lineup card has the upper hand, until he surrenders it.

I say the sooner Frank and Ozzie mark their territories, the better. If it's not gonna work between them, might as well figure out the next step sooner than later.

My point is Frank could become very difficult, and the Sox would have a hard time moving him, he definitely has the upper hand there. Ozzie could bench him, but that would be a bad situation, not necessarily of Frank's doing. Frank always seems to have fingers pointed at him. Most of the time, for no apparent reason. I'm sure Frank would like to be treated like Ozzie felt he should be treated at the end of his White Sox playing career. That press conference was a joke.

The person who makes out the lineup card has the upper hand, until he surrenders it.

I say the sooner Frank and Ozzie mark their territories, the better. If it's not gonna work between them, might as well figure out the next step sooner than later.

My point is Frank could become very difficult, and the Sox would have a hard time moving him, he definitely has the upper hand there. Ozzie could bench him, but that would be a bad situation, not necessarily of Frank's doing. Frank always seems to have fingers pointed at him. Most of the time, for no apparent reason. I'm sure Frank would like to be treated like Ozzie felt he should be treated at the end of his White Sox playing career. That press conference was a joke.

I didn't get to see the press conference but read over the summary that Steff had posted. Ballsy, most definitely. Ignorant, not necessarily. I don't think that we'll hear talk like this very often over the 2-3 years in the media. I think Ozzie wanted to let the fans know where he stands at the outset. No harm there. I appreciate knowing these things. Look, people are talking about the Sox again. There's renewed interest in the franchise thanks to Ozzie Guillen. I believe the main reason is that fans, the majority of which felt that the team gave a lackluster effort the last 2 seasons, have hope that finally there will be a manager who believes in accountability. If the players don't like being accountable for grounding into 30+ DPs, failed SACs, baserunning blunders, and swinging for the fences then f*** 'em. If they do their jobs they shouldn't have any problems with Ozzie. What's Frank so worried about? Oh, maybe he knows he doesn't play team ball...that could be it.

I didn't get to see the press conference but read over the summary that Steff had posted. Ballsy, most definitely. Ignorant, not necessarily. I don't think that we'll hear talk like this very often over the 2-3 years in the media. I think Ozzie wanted to let the fans know where he stands at the outset. No harm there. I appreciate knowing these things. Look, people are talking about the Sox again. There's renewed interest in the franchise thanks to Ozzie Guillen. I believe the main reason is that fans, the majority of which felt that the team gave a lackluster effort the last 2 seasons, have hope that finally there will be a manager who believes in accountability. If the players don't like being accountable for grounding into 30+ DPs, failed SACs, baserunning blunders, and swinging for the fences then f*** 'em. If they do their jobs they shouldn't have any problems with Ozzie. What's Frank so worried about? Oh, maybe he knows he doesn't play team ball...that could be it.

Once again Frank hasn't said anything yet. There are no quotes directly attributed to Frank Thomas. This is all hearsay. Don't forget that.

Also put the shoe on the other foot. What if Frank had done the exact samething to Ozzie that he did to Frank. If he had called him out for all of the crap he has said and done in the past. (never walking, we don't owe the fans anything etc), and all of the shortcomings that have happened before Ozzie took over (lack of enthusiam, bad fundimentals, etc) and INDIVIDUALLY picked him out of all of the coaches and personell in the organization. Would that have been as fair? He would be just trying to do what is needed for the team right?

Once again, there is no reason for any manager to call out an individual player on his first day on the job. None. Ozzie should be trying to work with his superstar instead of already trying to create problems in the clubhouse. And I stick to my extact term, it is ignorant.

Once again Frank hasn't said anything yet.  There are no quotes directly attributed to Frank Thomas.  This is all hearsay.  Don't forget that.

Also put the shoe on the other foot.  What if Frank had done the exact samething to Ozzie that he did to Frank.  If he had called him out for all of the crap he has said and done in the past. (never walking, we don't owe the fans anything etc), and all of the shortcomings that have happened before Ozzie took over (lack of enthusiam, bad fundimentals, etc) and INDIVIDUALLY picked him out of all of the coaches and personell in the organization.  Would that have been as fair?  He would be just trying to do what is needed for the team right? 

Once again, there is no reason for any manager to call out an individual player on his first day on the job.  None. Ozzie should be trying to work with his superstar instead of already trying to create problems in the clubhouse.  And I stick to my extact term, it is ignorant.

Mike.. it's no use. :rolleyes:

Well there must have been something there to be able to make a mockery of the hiring process and still get hired.  Everyone else followed the gag rule to a T.  Except old Oz out there singing to the media everyday.  No wonder no one wants to be a part of this organization, it is a joke sometimes.

I may be naive here, but Ozzie's season hadn't ended yet, so supposedly hadn't been contacted yet and therefore not asked to keep his yap shut. Besides, I'm sure if Gaston had talked about the job, he would have said that if he didn't get the job it was because the media was racist against him.

Once again Frank hasn't said anything yet.  There are no quotes directly attributed to Frank Thomas.  This is all hearsay.  Don't forget that.

Are you talking about quotes from Thomas about Ozzie or quotes from Thomas regarding his play..... or lack there of..... of team ball? Because if you are talking about "team" Frank, there are plenty of quotes from this past season from Frank's own mouth that he's a "HR hitter," and that, "that is what he is going to do from now on..... hit HR's."

Are you talking about quotes from Thomas about Ozzie or quotes from Thomas regarding his play..... or lack there of..... of team ball? Because if you are talking about "team" Frank, there are plenty of quotes from this past season from Frank's own mouth that he's a "HR hitter," and that, "that is what he is going to do from now on..... hit HR's."

Oh no, I am not defending Frank's character. Don't even put me into the "Frank can do nothing wrong" camp. Someone overheard Frank supposedly saying something to someone else in confidence, about the Guillen as manager situation, and we are supposed to trust that as a dependable quote. That is what I am talking about.