NY Post says...

Capn12

Don't have the source article, just heard Sportscenter say so. Petitte is not gonna agree to a contract with the Yanks, and will be a FA. I think it's pretty obvious that Andy is goin to the Astros, with the money they just cleared from Wagner. The domino effect could definately be Colon to NYY now. So we better get ready to put the full court press on Sidney Ponson.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not real sold on Ponson, nor on giving 6-7 mill to a guy to be our #3 starter. What will Buehrle and Loz think about being outpaid by a new guy unproven to this team? Hopefully, that wouldnt matter to them, but something still bothers me about Ponson

I'm not real sold on Ponson, nor on giving 6-7 mill to a guy to be our #3 starter. What will Buehrle and Loz think about being outpaid by a new guy unproven to this team? Hopefully, that wouldnt matter to them, but something still bothers me about Ponson

Can you pull up Colon's stats at 27 and compare to Ponson. I think the age thing will really work for Sid.

Petitte is not gonna agree to a contract with the Yanks, and will be a FA.

While I think there is a good possibility that Pettite will sign with the Astros, I think there is an equally good chance he will re-sign with the Yankees.

Just because a player files for Free Agency, DOES NOT mean he will not re-sign with his original club. Let's all learn this concept and not forget.... Often times a player files, tests the market and then stays put. It is not a novel concept.

First Sidney Ponson, who turned 27 this year:

Year Team G GS  W  L SV CG SHO   IP   H   R ER HR BB   K  ERA WHIP  BAA   
2001 BAL 23 23  5 10  0  3   1 138.1 161 83 76 21 37  84 4.94 1.43 .289   
2002 BAL 28 28  7  9  0  3   0 176.0 172 84 80 26 63 120 4.09 1.34 .258   
2003 BAL 21 21 14  6  0  4   0 148.0 147 65 62 10 43 100 3.77 1.28 .258   
2003 SFO 10 10  3  6  0  0   0  68.0 64  29 28  6 18  34 3.71 1.21 .255  

Now Colon, who turned 27 in 2000:

Year Team G GS  W L SV CG SHO IP   H  R ER HR BB   K  ERA WHIP  BAA   
1997 CLE 19 17  4 7  0  1  0  94 107 66 59 12 45  66 5.65 1.62 .000   
1998 CLE 31 31 14 9  0  6  2 204 205 91 84 15 79 158 3.71 1.39 .000   
1999 CLE 32 32 18 5  0  1  1 205 185 97 90 24 76 161 3.95 1.27 .000   
2000 CLE 30 30 15 8  0  2  1 188 163 86 81 21 98 212 3.88 1.39 .233

And Rex, I know it doesnt mean he isn't gonna re-up with the Yanks, but I just think that its al lsetting up for him to land in Houston, back home.

Ponson just scares me.  After reading about the O's stacking him against 4th and 5th starters to inflate his numbers all year, and then watching him choke at the end of the year, I just get the fear that we would be looking at Todd Ritchie part 2.

I don't want to see Ponson either. There was another post that mentioned Miguel Batista out in AZ will not sign until his role is defined. I'm pretty sure if we offered him a guaranteed starting spot we could get him for much less money than Ponson. Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing next year that would come cheap is Pedro Astacio. He hasn't had an outstanding career but he seems to have pretty good stuff. I guess it all boils down to $. There's no reason to spend a ton of money on Petite, Ponson, or Millwood when their production won't be that much better than a Bautista or Pavano.

Ponson just scares me.  After reading about the O's stacking him against 4th and 5th starters to inflate his numbers all year, and then watching him choke at the end of the year, I just get the fear that we would be looking at Todd Ritchie part 2.

Thank you! I couldn't agree more? This is "The Guy"??? Give me a break. I wouldn't mind having him as a Number 5, but as a backup to MB and Loaiza? No way.

Thank you! I couldn't agree more? This is "The Guy"??? Give me a break. I wouldn't mind having him as a Number 5, but as a backup to MB and Loaiza? No way.

LOL.. MB started out 2-10... so because Sid didn't do so well at the end of the season, versus at the begining, he sucks. Oye ve... :bang

LOL.. MB started out 2-10... so because Sid didn't do so well at the end of the season, versus at the begining, he sucks. Oye ve...  :bang

Thank you Steff!

This Ponson bashing is odd.

He would be a welcome addition to the staff. Considering he would not be looked upon as the #1 guy.

What we need is a solid starting rotation, not an ace.

Spend more $$ on streghthening our bullpen and we're good.

what do you mean by choke?

i don't think you can say much about his experience in SF. He lost 3 in a row, then won 3 in a row, then lost three in a row. Seems streaky. lost a game giving up 4 hits (3ERs) in 8.1 innings. lost another with 7 hits, 2 ERs, in 7.1 inn.

His wins

6-4 win over FLA at home 6.0, 6 hits, 2 ER

6-4 win AT COL. 7.2, 5 H, 1 ER

2-0 win AT ARI. 8.0, 6 H, 0 ER

If Garland could ever make up his mind whether he wants to play in the big leagues for real, we could sign Ponson and have moderately good 3-4 and great 1-2 pitchers.

who knows.

And again, I don't mind bringing Ponson in, but I cant see a #3 making twice as much as either the #1 or 2, seems a bit bass ackwards to me.

Loaiza's salary is set. No one thought he'd do what he did. No way around that. If he had only won 10 and they picked him up people would be b****ing he was making too much.

Mark has yet to be assigned a salary yet this year. Why assume that he's not going to get $3 or $4 or $5 million? Maybe they'll do ONE thing right this off-season..

Loaiza's salary is set. No one thought he'd do what he did. No way around that. If he had only won 10 and they picked him up people would be b****ing he was making too much.

Mark has yet to be assigned a salary yet this year. Why assume that he's not going to get $3 or $4 or $5 million? Maybe they'll do ONE thing right this off-season..

With MB if past negotiations are any indicator, this one might end up in arbitration.

LOL.. MB started out 2-10... so because Sid didn't do so well at the end of the season, versus at the begining, he sucks. Oye ve...  :bang

I just don't think he can be a difference maker. He wasn't for San Francisco. Career ERA of 4.54. Don't get me wrong, I'll take him, but I just don't want Kenny Williams to tell me that he's our answer to replacing Colon AND filling in the gaping hole at Number 5.

Here's what I do with Buehrle if I am the Sox.

Offer him 4 years, $30 million. (that way we can at least keep him an additional season past his service time)

2004: $5 mil

2005: $7 mil

2006: $8 mil

2007: $10 mil

If they offer that, I am pretty positive he'd sign.

But knowing our owner, we'd never offer anything that great to Mark B.

With MB if past negotiations are any indicator, this one might end up in arbitration.

:rolleyes:

Offer him 4 years, $30 million. (that way we can at least keep him an additional season past his service time)

They tried to get him to give up a year of free agency last year. He said no. I don't remember the $$... but I don't think that was the deal breaker. I'm pretty sure it was the FA issue.

I agree with Steff on this.

If the Sox wouldn't lowball people on their offers, they'd be more successful.

It's funny how they'll dish out all that money for Koch or Konerko yet when it comes to their young STUDS like Buehrle they are greedy as hell.

If they aren't going to give Buehrle a fair deal, then why should he sign? Maybe once he leaves and goes somewhere where management appreciates him, the Sox will finally learn a freakin lesson.

What?

They tried to get him to give up a year of free agency last year. He said no. I don't remember the $$... but I don't think that was the deal breaker. I'm pretty sure it was the FA issue.

The extra year of FA wasn't even the big thing. There was a big chunk of the money that wasn't guarenteed, and was a team only option.

I agree with Steff on this.

If the Sox wouldn't lowball people on their offers, they'd be more successful.

It's funny how they'll dish out all that money for Koch or Konerko yet when it comes to their young STUDS like Buehrle they are greedy as hell.

If they aren't going to give Buehrle a fair deal, then why should he sign?  Maybe once he leaves and goes somewhere where management appreciates him, the Sox will finally learn a freakin lesson.

I'd sure like to see them do right for homegrown guys like Mark unstead of screwing them over, only to offer less deserving FA's the deals they do. Hopefully they can make Mark and offer that makes him happy, and isn't inflated with incentive-based bonuses rather than guaranteed money.