Any Economists out there?

moochpuppy

I thought I remember seeing one or two of you and was wondering if you could answer this question:

In game theory, when trying to find Nash Equilibria, it does not exsist if there is unilateral profitable deviation. But does it exsist if both players have profitable deviation?

Thanks. :cheers

I thought I remember seeing one or two of you and was wondering if you could answer this question:

In game theory, when trying to find Nash Equilibria, it does not exsist if there is unilateral profitable deviation.  But does it exsist if both players have profitable deviation?

Thanks.  :cheers

Nash equilibrium: each player is making the optimal choice, given the other players´ choice.

In game theory, when trying to find Nash Equilibria, it does not exsist if there is unilateral profitable deviation.  But does it exsist if both players have profitable deviation?

Nash equilibrium: each player is making the optimal choice, given the other players´ choice.

Sounds to me like it would be possible, not extremely likely, but possible, as long as the peoples optimal profits perfectly aligned with what the other party wanted to do. But that is just off of the top of my head. It has been 10 years since I had Micro... :bang

Sounds to me like it would be possible, not extremely likely, but possible, as long as the peoples optimal profits perfectly aligned with what the other party wanted to do. But that is just off of the top of my head. It has been 10 years since I had Micro... :bang

Well, on my e-mail to my professor I asked:

"So if there is profitable deviation in the profile then it can't be Nash Equilibria?"

He responded by adding "unilateral" between profitable and deviation and then typed exactly after my question.

This would lead me to believe then that if both players had profitable deviation as opposed to unilateral, then Nash Equilibria is present in the profile.

:huh:

But does it exsist if both players have profitable deviation?

I think it's no. Nash equilibrium means that the players dont wanna get out of their choice because they chose what was the best for them. If they have profitable deviation, they wanna get out of their choice.

It's hard to explain in english.

I did Economics last year, but not enough ppl at my school wanted to do it this year so I couldn't do it. Got no idea about Macro and Micro Economics, that's a bit too advanced for me. We only did Supply and Demand, Interest Rates, Inflation, u know ur basic Economics stuff. :D

I think it's no. Nash equilibrium means that the players dont wanna get out of their choice because they chose what was the best for them. If they have profitable deviation, they wanna get out of their choice.

This was correct rafa. :cheers

Thanks to all of you for your help. :notworthy

pareto optimal has more to do with price pointing in individual markets and companies.  This is different.

You can use optimal pareto in game theory. One player will be in a better situation only if the other will be in a worst situation.

What was correct? My answer?

What was correct? My answer?

Yes, if a profile has profitable unilateral deviation then it doesn't contain Nash Equilibria (that we knew) but if it contains profitable bilateral deviation, it's irrelevant, so then it also contains no Nash Equilibria.