Cubs Thread 2024

On 5/28/2024 at 10:38 AM, southsider2k5 said:

How did I know Madrigal was having an awful season?  No one on Soxtalk was talking about him.

I say we trade them Lopez and DeJong for Madrigal. He belongs in a Sox jersey.

• Like 1

Madrigal.  Obviously, it was a bad draft pick. I just can't believe how many scouts were fooled. I always wondered how far Madrigal would have dropped if Sox had not taken him.  Still wondering.

Of all the dumb ideas baseball has instituted over the last few years the extra wildcard may be the worst.  The Cubs could have easily spent more money on a hitter or bullpen arms but they didn't have to because they knew they would be in the middle of that last wildcard race.  There's a reason why so many teams are hovering around .500.  Why spend more money during the off season to separate yourself from the pack when you can trade for someone at the deadline and have someone else pay half the money. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Of all the dumb ideas baseball has instituted over the last few years the extra wildcard may be the worst.  The Cubs could have easily spent more money on a hitter or bullpen arms but they didn't have to because they knew they would be in the middle of that last wildcard race.  There's a reason why so many teams are hovering around .500.  Why spend more money during the off season to separate yourself from the pack when you can trade for someone at the deadline and have someone else pay half the money. 

I think the format with 3 division winners and 1 wild card was the best we would ever see. Too many teams in the playoffs dilute the importance of the season to me. But more teams means more money, and that’s that.

I’m not a fan of basketball for many reasons, and their playoff format is one of them. When more than half of the teams make the playoffs, it’s almost like what’s the point of the season?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

On 6/19/2024 at 12:13 AM, Milkman delivers said:

I think the format with 3 division winners and 1 wild card was the best we would ever see. Too many teams in the playoffs dilute the importance of the season to me. But more teams means more money, and that’s that.

I’m not a fan of basketball for many reasons, and their playoff format is one of them. When more than half of the teams make the playoffs, it’s almost like what’s the point of the season?

WNBA is 8/12.  67%

Can't believe that will go up to 9-10 playoff teams with additions of Golden State and Toronto the next two seasons.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:39 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It is creating a lot more parity in the very middle tier of baseball.

At least 70-75% of teams at least have a puncher's chance going into the season, if not 80%.

On 6/18/2024 at 8:39 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Sox have done the same thing when they have actually been in competition, which is few and far between.  I don’t see what the big deal is.

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox have done the same thing when they have actually been in competition, which is few and far between.  I don’t see what the big deal is.

With 9 teams separated by just a few games in the NL Wild Card race, think the incentive to separate oneself would have some definite value, but the majority of modern fanbases seem content to follow the KW theorem of "fixing things at the trade deadline" instead of spending money from the get-go.

Red Sox have fallen into this zone of contention, much like the Cubs.

On the periphery of being a really good club, but with numerous bad moments that can sink them.

Neither ownership really willing to spend to win at all costs anyway, whether it's the Ricketts family or John Henry and his other various sporting concerns (EPL, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Are the Cubs ever going to lose again?

And will we ever win again?

They can't afford to lose.  I wonder if the PIssburg Pirates will quit in their series.  Sure it makes the Cubs look hot but losing to bad teams is gonna cost.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Your posts make a lot more sense now.

I can't help it. My anger toward Sox ownership and leadership is such that I no longer totally despise the Cubs even though I still can't name any players.

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I can't help it. My anger toward Sox ownership and leadership is such that I no longer totally despise the Cubs even though I still can't name any players.

Sure, except you seem to actually be a  Cub fan, which explains everything honestly.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, except you seem to actually be a  Cub fan, which explains everything honestly.

Trust me I'm not. True I'm losing interest in all teams but I cannot name one Cub starting pitcher. I've heard of Darby. I can pretty much name all the Sox except some of these woebegone relievers they bring up. ... However I now see no reason the Cub shouldn't make the playoffs. It has no effect on the Sox since our team is gonna stink for years to come. It used to be Cub success would pressure the Sox into getting off their butts and start winning. No longer. Nothing matters except Jerry's wallet. I know that's always been the case but we've had some good Sox teams throughout history til the Double Tank.

So yes I welcome a Cub playoff berth. Why not? Anything to embarrass JR if it's possible.