Cubs Thread 2024

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Trust me I'm not. True I'm losing interest in all teams but I cannot name one Cub starting pitcher. I've heard of Darby. I can pretty much name all the Sox except some of these woebegone relievers they bring up. ... However I now see no reason the Cub shouldn't make the playoffs. It has no effect on the Sox since our team is gonna stink for years to come. It used to be Cub success would pressure the Sox into getting off their butts and start winning. No longer. Nothing matters except Jerry's wallet. I know that's always been the case but we've had some good Sox teams throughout history til the Double Tank.

So yes I welcome a Cub playoff berth. Why not? Anything to embarrass JR if it's possible.

It fully explains your years of posts.  I don't believe you.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nah, you gave yourself away.  Funny how you always have to ask questions about the Sox, but know exactly what the Cubs are doing.

You are something else. So wrong. But I'll try to keep posting about the Cubs so as to keep you thinking I love them. You know sometimes it's OK to admit one is wrong. Ask Fathom how mad I used to get on here (when Sox were not in the offensive Double Tank) when we lost to the Cubs and/or the Royals. In fact find the old posts. Some people said the Cub series was just another series but I'd get flat out livid in figuring out our record against them each season. ... Anyhow you might want to ponder for self growth how you could be so wrong about an issue, this issue, if u ever do self reflection. I ain't no Cub fan but now I do want them to make the playoffs and win it all because of my overriding anger at JR and his Sox. I'll try to not post on this again but I'm thinking you'll want to get in the last word so that might spark me to post on this again.

Edited by greg775

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

You are something else. So wrong. But I'll try to keep posting about the Cubs so as to keep you thinking I love them. You know sometimes it's OK to admit one is wrong. Ask Fathom how mad I used to get on here (when Sox were not in the offensive Double Tank) when we lost to the Cubs and/or the Royals. In fact find the old posts. Some people said the Cub series was just another series but I'd get flat out livid in figuring out our record against them each season. ... Anyhow you might want to ponder for self growth how you could be so wrong about an issue, this issue, if u ever do self reflection. I ain't no Cub fan but now I do want them to make the playoffs and win it all because of my overriding anger at JR and his Sox. I'll try to not post on this again but I'm thinking you'll want to get in the last word so that might spark me to post on this again.

Hahahaha, feeling guilty there?

6 hours ago, The Grinder said:

I can't really blame anyone (especially those sitting on the fence) for becoming cub fans this yr. One team although somewhat flawed is on fire. The other team is about as much fun as attending a funeral 

I'm not a Cub fan. In fact I'm slowly giving up on baseball. If I'm giving up on baseball I know others are because I've been a Sox fan all my life. I know I won't watch an inning of the postseason even if the Cubs or Royals make it. There have to be a lot of southsiders, especially kids, losing all interest in MLB because of the state of the Sox and the new, boring nature of the game. The all or nothing offensive philosophy (K or strikeout approach for all hitters; the boring cutter getting guys like Robert every time) and the parade of relievers with starters only able to go five makes the sport unwatchable basically. ... I'm surprised they don't accuse me of being a Royals fan on here since I've posted about the Royals a few times.

Only baseball I've watched this summer is the game video recaps on mlb.com which are free.

Edited by greg775

Just watched highlights of the 'no-hitter.' What a joke. Three pitchers. Big deal. I saw the last out. At least the Cubs didn't mob the pitcher. He got a hard hug from the catcher and that was it. Baseball has taken away the no hitter. Repeat what a joke with modern baseball.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

Just watched highlights of the 'no-hitter.' What a joke. Three pitchers. Big deal. I saw the last out. At least the Cubs didn't mob the pitcher. He got a hard hug from the catcher and that was it. Baseball has taken away the no hitter. Repeat what a joke with modern baseball.

Dylan Cease threw a complete game no-hitter less than two months ago. Stop with the fucking sad sack hyperbole.

• Fire 1

On 9/5/2024 at 10:12 AM, Milkman delivers said:

Dylan Cease threw a complete game no-hitter less than two months ago. Stop with the fucking sad sack hyperbole.

How many pitches did he throw? To Dylan's credit musta been 100ish cause nobody's letting pitchers go 120, 130.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Are the Cubs going to make the playoffs? I say no. Four games is a lot to make up on one team. You'd have to win at an amazing clip the final 3 weeks.

Five games technically because they don’t have the tiebreak.  They have the schedule to do it though and the Mets have a killer schedule.  We need the Braves offense to have a pulse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Kudos to his manager then for letting him finish it. Almost would never happen with modern day baseball and pitch counts. How many games this season has a starter finished let's say 8 innings? Less than five for sure.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Kudos to his manager then for letting him finish it. Almost would never happen with modern day baseball and pitch counts. How many games this season has a starter finished let's say 8 innings? Less than five for sure.

There have been 27 complete games thrown in 2024, you incredible dolt. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

There have been 27 complete games thrown in 2024, you incredible dolt. 

Ed Walsh threw 42 complete games in 1908. Today's pitchers are slackers. 

Hell, the pitchers in the 90's were slackers!

Twenty seven complete games. Interesting

I'd love to see a study on this. In depth as in, where are the complete games coming from, what pitchers? Do those pitchers have old school pitching coaches or managers? Is 100 pitches the basic norm? What were the pitch counts for the 27 complete games? Were those starters old guys or ones that simply had pitch count at about 105?

It's amazing how nobody ever talks W/L record any more. That used to be THE standard for Cy Young pretty much the only standard unless a reliever had a ton of saves and was in consideration. Who's gonna win Cy this year? Probably go on total strikeouts or if anybody has piled up a lot of saves.

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Twenty seven complete games. Interesting

I'd love to see a study on this. In depth as in, where are the complete games coming from, what pitchers? Do those pitchers have old school pitching coaches or managers? Is 100 pitches the basic norm? What were the pitch counts for the 27 complete games? Were those starters old guys or ones that simply had pitch count at about 105?

It's amazing how nobody ever talks W/L record any more. That used to be THE standard for Cy Young pretty much the only standard unless a reliever had a ton of saves and was in consideration. Who's gonna win Cy this year? Probably go on total strikeouts or if anybody has piled up a lot of saves.

Tarik Skubal is most likely going to win it in the American League, who is tied for the MLB league in wins. He will throw over 180 IP this year, and has struck out 208 batters in 174 innings. 

Chris Sale is most likely going to win it in the National League, who is tied with Skubal in wins at 16. Sale will also most likely reach 180 IP this year, and has struck out 213 batters in 166 innings. 

The last time a reliever won the Cy Young was 2003. And before Eric Gagne did it, Dennis Eckersley was the last one to do it since 1992. 

This took me 4 minutes to write, because I have access to the internet. And if you are reading this response, it means you do too. 

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

Are the Cubs going to make the playoffs? I say no. Four games is a lot to make up on one team. You'd have to win at an amazing clip the final 3 weeks.

Weren't you just telling me that you didn't watch or pay attention to any of this?