Chasing Records — 120 losses secured!

On 9/19/2024 at 5:54 AM, Texsox said:

If they are going to play our future I want to see some wins and help with their development. 

Future? What future? Wins? They had a three-game winning streak. There are no more wins. Development. Now that's a good one.

The White Sox (36-119) matched the AL mark set by the 2003 Detroit Tigers, who finished 43-119. One more defeat for Chicago over its final seven games would equal the post-1900 record of 120 losses by the 1962 expansion New York Mets, and two more would set a record. The 1899 Cleveland Spiders hold the overall major league record for losses at 20-134.

Chris Flexen (2-15) remained winless in his past 23 starts for a White Sox club that lost its 20th straight road series. According to ESPN Research, Chicago, which is now 9-48 since the All-Star break, is on pace for 124 losses.

"They've been playing some good baseball these last couple of days," Bogaerts said of Chicago. "Obviously, we want to win every game by a big margin, but these guys are putting up a fight. They're trying to be spoilers. Nothing's been given easy to us these last couple of days. It's been nice to be able to fight for it a little bit more than people would have expected."

espn.com

“Obviously, it’s not a record you want to have, but at the end of the year, 120 or 123, it doesn’t make the season any better,” first baseman/designated hitter Gavin Sheets said. “It doesn’t mean all this was a success because we didn’t break the record. It was still a terrible season. At the end of the day, we need to get better going into next year. Hopefully, we grow from this season and we can take a big step forward.”

“We can’t look at it,” veteran infielder Nicky Lopez said. “We’ve got to just keep plugging forward: If we lose today’s game, it’s how can we win tomorrow’s game. But as far as affecting me, it obviously sucks. I’m going to be, we are all going to be attached to it. But also, we are going to move on and whether I’m here next year or somewhere else, it quickly turns to that.”

mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Highland said:

Future? What future? Wins? They had a three-game winning streak. There are no more wins. Development. Now that's a good one.

Yet here we are. Still paying attention. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Yet here we are. Still paying attention. 

Yes, but for me, 2024 was the first time in over 40 years that I didn't attend one White Sox game. And for the past over 60 years, I was always at the two ballparks. But I see no reason to attend a game now. And there are many royal fans like me who are sick of this nonsense.  They don't need to win for me to go back. Just show some life, and I see no life in this organization.  Denial big time. Life, not so much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Highland said:

Yes, but for me, 2024 was the first time in over 40 years that I didn't attend one White Sox game. And for the past over 60 years, I was always at the two ballparks. But I see no reason to attend a game now. And there are many royal fans like me who are sick of this nonsense.  They don't need to win for me to go back. Just show some life, and I see no life in this organization.  Denial big time. Life, not so much.

The past couple years were the first that I didn't plan my Chicago trips until after consulting the schedule. It's also the first time in decades no one in my family has full season tickets. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

The past couple years were the first that I didn't plan my Chicago trips until after consulting the schedule. It's also the first time in decades no one in my family has full season tickets. 

Still marked safe from watching White Sox baseball.  I'm only into the drama that's created.

I think fans want different ownership more than anything.  JR has a history of destroying a winning culture. If things improve he'll find a way to ruin it.

I'm more sad than angry.  For many I think it's a relationship beyond repair.  He pretty much announced 2025 will suck.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Still marked safe from watching White Sox baseball.  I'm only into the drama that's created.

I think fans want different ownership more than anything.  JR has a history of destroying a winning culture. If things improve he'll find a way to ruin it.

I'm more sad than angry.  For many I think it's a relationship beyond repair.  He pretty much announced 2025 will suck.

For sure. Not sure I know a single person that would disagree.

• Quin changed the title to Chasing Records — 120 losses secured!
7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

For the 27th time the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later and lost.

27 times.

Mind blowing.

And also no wins when trailing late...also pretty amazing. Dumb luck should get you at least 1 win late.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

And also no wins when trailing late...also pretty amazing. Dumb luck should get you at least 1 win late.

They have had one this year in April at home vs. Tampa when they scored two in the 10th to win 8-7 if I remember correctly. 

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They have had one this year in April at home vs. Tampa when they scored two in the 10th to win 8-7 if I remember correctly. 

I stand corrected. That's better....and The Rays should be embarrassed.