Chasing Records

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

that playing time should have been given to Colas. I agree that roster churn is fine given how horrific we are, but we're going to enter into 2025 still not really knowing if Colas is anything more than a AAAA player.

They've given like 400 PA to Sheets, who has like negative -3 career WAR, it's just mind boggling who they are choosing to blood this season. I don't get it.

Fair point.
I guess I keep forgetting Colas exists.

24 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Honestly, I don't have an issue with taking a shot at a guy like Senzel. If we're not holding back anyone (note: none of the bats in AAA I would consider being "blocked" and overgrown for AAA), give guys like him a chance. He's got another year of control, so we might as well give it a shot.

If he fails, he fails. This team still sucks.

Well right now, Vargas (the center piece of the biggest trade chip you dealt) should be getting majority of the time at 3B, with Baldwin and Sosa at SS and 2B. That would open up more at bats somewhere for a Colas or DeLoach in the OF.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

56 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

In 29 PA Senzel has -.5 fWAR. That's an impressive -11 fWAR rate over an entire season's PA.  IIRC Harold was big upping this signing by his boy Getz. 

Waste of space. There is enough of a sample size to know that he sucks and he's not going to get better with this org if I'm being honest.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well right now, you can argue that Vargas should be getting majority of the time at 3B, with Baldwin and Sosa at SS and 2B. That would open up more at bats somewhere for a Colas or DeLoach in the OF.

I would say that Baldwin needs more AAA time than 8 games / 35 PA's.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Sure but they promoted him and he's here so you gotta play him somewhere.

Sure, but how is that different than "sure but they signed him and he's here so you gotta play him somewhere," logically?

7 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Sure, but how is that different than "sure but they signed him and he's here so you gotta play him somewhere," logically?

True. Just saying they should be getting a look at the young guys if they are here.

I wouldn't say he's not blocking anyone when a) he's directly blocking Colas (and to an extent, Getz's other mid/upper 20s LHH OF he for some reason trade for) and b) he's dookie anyway (or as @hi8is would say: poop).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Because Baldwin still might have a future with the team.  You want him playing every day no matter whether that is Chicago or Charlotte.  If you want to adjust the roster, fine, but Baldwin should be starting 5-6 days a week. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Because Baldwin still might have a future with the team.  You want him playing every day no matter whether that is Chicago or Charlotte.  If you want to adjust the roster, fine, but Baldwin should be starting 5-6 days a week. 

Ok, a better way to say it than I did lol

• Haha 1

I think you can put Senzel on the bench and see if he can stick as a platoon type player since he is versatile. I'm just not giving him majority of the at bats. Plenty of guys he could platoon with (Sheets, Fletcher, DeLoach) if you shuffled guys around.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And I guess my main point is that, exactly for that reason, you want him in Charlotte.

Just now, JoeC said:

And I guess my main point is that, exactly for that reason, you want him in Charlotte.

I thought he was rushed anyway, but if he is here, he should be a priority.  Guys like Nick Senzel don't need to see the field.  If it isn't Baldwin, get Ramos up here.  With the roster that exists today, Lenyn Sosa and Brooks Baldwin should be every day starters, along with Miguel Vargas (whether IF or OF) and then mix and match in guys like Lil Nicky and Senzel based on match ups.

The one I would really like to move out is Gavin Sheets.  He is up to almost 1300 plate appearances as a 88 OPS+ hitter (82 now this season) and get up either one of the OF kids we traded for in DeLoach or Colas.  The starting OF going forward should be some kind of combination of Colas/DeLoach/Vargas/Fletcher and Robert for trade value and a stable CF.  Rotate the rest.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I thought he was rushed anyway, but if he is here, he should be a priority.  Guys like Nick Senzel don't need to see the field.  If it isn't Baldwin, get Ramos up here.  With the roster that exists today, Lenyn Sosa and Brooks Baldwin should be every day starters, along with Miguel Vargas (whether IF or OF) and then mix and match in guys like Lil Nicky and Senzel based on match ups.

The one I would really like to move out is Gavin Sheets.  He is up to almost 1300 plate appearances as a 88 OPS+ hitter (82 now this season) and get up either one of the OF kids we traded for in DeLoach or Colas.  The starting OF going forward should be some kind of combination of Colas/DeLoach/Vargas/Fletcher and Robert for trade value and a stable CF.  Rotate the rest.

you gotta keep Sheets on the team just so you have the father son all time losing streak storyline still intact