Chasing Records

A quote from Rick Telanders piece today

No, it’s not a nice thing. But this failure should be honored as a symbol of badness, of what can happen when nobody at the top gives a damn. Or, maybe worse, when they do care but are too dumb or arrogant to know they haven’t a clue.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Both of these can be accomplished, winning one game doesn’t change that math 

The Sox are in the midst of an 11 game losing streak with 23 games to go. If they lose 16 more in a row, they'll break the all-time record. A win at any point would prevent them from even tying the modern era record of 23 set by the 1961 Phillies.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

A quote from Rick Telanders piece today

No, it’s not a nice thing. But this failure should be honored as a symbol of badness, of what can happen when nobody at the top gives a damn. Or, maybe worse, when they do care but are too dumb or arrogant to know they haven’t a clue.

It's the latter. 

Imagine the ‘89 Sox in a league full of 2024 Sox. Guys like Daryl Boston, Scott Fletcher and Dan Pasqua would have been perennial all stars. Ozzie would be the Ozzie Smith. Baines, Calderon and Fisk would have been like Ted Williams, DiMaggio and Campanella on the same team

The fact I’m sitting here thinking how the ‘89 team that caused me so much misery in my prime junior league baseball loving youth in retrospect actually wasn’t too shabby…that’s got to be something akin to stockholm syndrome, no?

Edited by 46DidIt

4 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

The fact I’m sitting here thinking how the ‘89 team that caused me so much misery in my prime junior league baseball loving youth in retrospect actually wasn’t too shabby…that’s got to be something akin to stockholm syndrome, no?

They actually started playing better the second half and rolled it over to one of the teams most enjoyable seasons in 1990.

As a young kid back in 1983, having no reason to know any better, the Sox might as well have been the ‘27 Yankees as far as I was concerned. Even after they lost to the O’s, I still thought the Sox had the better team. The shock of 1984 as I look back now, I guess I never got over it. ‘84-89 was total misery as a Sox fan to me. ‘85 was of no consolation to me, the one year they were actually decent. And now 40 years later I’m still following these bums. It must be terminal, or require some sort of intervention

Edited by 46DidIt
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 46DidIt said:

Point being, there’s got to be some sort of disorder akin to stockholm syndrome or battered spouse syndrome we all could be classified under at this point. There’s no other reasonable explanation

I think you have defined “Chicago fanhood”

59 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Be something like a 30 to 35 win improvement over this season.

That's one of the other crazy things. 

Say the Sox finish with a 37-125 record, which seems very possible, given their 31 wins right now. 

The biggest single season swing in wins in the divisional era are the D'Backs, who had 35 more wins in 99 than they did in 98.

If the Sox matched that in 2025, they would be 72-90 next year 😂

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

Say the Sox finish with a 37-125 record, which seems very possible, given their 31 wins right now. 

The biggest single season swing in wins in the divisional era are the D'Backs, who had 35 more wins in 99 than they did in 98.

72-90 would mean massive improvement over the current product.

They need to be able to score 3-4 runs consistently, not the 0-2 runs they are doing way too often AND their young pitching would need to be reliable for them to make a significant jump.

Assuming they rely primarily on rookie/young unproven MLB talent again next season, it's hard to see them not losing at least 100 games, even with some improvement. They would need to surprise us with something unexpected like keeping Crochet and Robert (while getting them performing at all-star levels), making an unexpected significant addition or their young players avoiding rookie development

39 minutes ago, Tony said:

😂 How about a win a week for 35? This team is so bad.