Jose Rodriguez Traded to Phillies for $

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

And it's okay to look at a bullpen and not engage in hyperbole when it can be effective when everybody gets their roles down and hits their stride. Maldonado sucks. DeJong/Lopez/Shewmake's offense sucks. Vaughn's production sucks. 

Benintendi has no power and can’t field…we can go on and on. It’s just a terrible team put together by a bunch of people that have no business holding onto their executive roles as long as they did/have.

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And it's okay to look at a bullpen and not engage in hyperbole when it can be effective when everybody gets their roles down and hits their stride. Maldonado sucks. DeJong/Lopez/Shewmake's offense sucks. Vaughn's production sucks. 

You also have a brain dead manager.  I still want to know who was going to close last night if Kopech held them in the 8th and the Sox scored?

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not worried about it. Isn’t like half the 40-man gone after this season anyways? Seems like they’re going to have a ton of space and even now could easily create it if they wanted.

Then let’s cut those dudes and not the 22 year old middle infield prospect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You’d rather have the $5.5M reliever with a 9 ERA? It was a salary dump for both sides, although I think the Sox got the only potentially useful long term piece in Shewmake in that trade.

I would have non-tendered Lopez.  He’s a pile of suck.  Soroka, Shewmake, and Schuster to a lesser extent were worth the look.  Not Lopez at $4.3 million when you already know what he is.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Don’t forget — bullpen sucks.  All true.

The whole team sucks right now. You're not making some great, intuitive observation. The bullpen and rotation will work their way out, and at least get them through games. 5 of 7 games have been one-run games. If the bullpen was trash, the first week of the season would look like Charlotte's. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They need to play the games, and the 22-year old everybody's crushing on is not major league ready. 

The whole team sucks right now. You're not making some great, intuitive observation. The bullpen and rotation will work their way out, and at least get them through games. 5 of 7 games have been one-run games. If the bullpen was trash, the first week of the season would look like Charlotte's. 

They will continue to lose many more close games because their offense can’t score.  That likely isn’t going to change.

• Like 1

They need to play the games, and the 22-year old everybody's crushing on is not major league ready. 

There just seems to be no plan besides bring in guys with minimal offensive upside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

There just seems to be no plan besides bring in guys with minimal offensive upside.

Grossman can hit it, a bit. I have a strange feeling Maldonado and Clevenger have been foisted on Getz. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

He’s definitely not major league ready, but I’d rather give him one last chance in the upper minors before cutting bait.  There is plenty of fat to trim on this 40 man roster.  For example, why do we need both Pillar & Grossman?  Why did we trade for DeLoach if we won’t even give him a shot when injury opens up an opportunity for him?  Save that spot for one of the garbage arms that’s needed to fill innings and keep someone like Popeye or Speas.

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Grossman can hit it, a bit. I have a strange feeling Maldonado and Clevenger have been foisted on Getz. 

Let’s not pick and choose who is responsible for what acquisitions with no proof one way or the other.  We know that Getz is the new GM and is responsible for player acquisitions.  No excuses.

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Oh come on, another GM where we blame everything bad on someone else?  Again, maybe it works out down the road, but Getz is off to a horrible start.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And that’s fine with me too. But I still think there’s more to the Jose R story than we know. Just a feeling. Why wasn’t he playing in Charlotte?  “Attending to a family matter” ok

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Because Popeye was on the 40-man, and you need that space to play the mlb games. You have kids to play. Shewmake and Sosa. The 40-man problems are Josimer Cousin, Jared Shuster and Davis Martin. They didn't want to blow a year of control over Martin, so they didn't put him on the 60-day to clear a spot. Cousin had a contractual deadline. Shuster's a AAAA junk-baller. 

An actual bullpen arm on the MLB club isn't the problem. 

I think there's some situations where you might prefer the 30-something reliever to the 22-year-old infield prospect, ie if you're planning on competing immediately and you have a competent second baseman somewhere in the system; but the Sox aren't in that situation (the Phillies are in a position to win and are rostering him though, take that for what its worth). In fact the Sox haven't had a second baseman in over a decade and s%*#-canned the one who has blazed through the minors and hit 21 homers last year. Popeye was making it look like the Sox could actually develop a Dominican teenager and so it just strange to see them completely give up on him as soon as he starts showing flashes as a major leaguer. Does Dominic Leone help the Sox win games this year more than Popeye would help the team win down the line? I don't think so and I don't think it matters because the team is a dumpster fire anyway because it doesn't have any position players.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

And again I’m ok with that considering the overall suckage of the roster that Getz inherited and the budgetary constraints he was under. They were a 100 loss team no matter who he signed last winter. At least they have a strong defense that will make these tradable pitchers like Fedde, Soroka, Wilson, Brebbia, Kopech look better than they actually are and get some useful prospects back in return come July.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And again I’m ok with that considering the overall suckage of the roster that Getz inherited and the budgetary constraints he was under. They were a 100 loss team no matter who he signed last winter. At least they have a strong defense that will make these tradable pitchers like Fedde, Soroka, Wilson, Brebbia, Kopech look better than they actually are and get some useful prospects back in return come July.

I just don’t get why we keep making this 40 man roster older, but again, oh well.  They all suck for the most part.   Instead of “fire everyone”, this year’s phrase is “they all suck”.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  I think people are greatly overvaluing what a good defense is going to do for the value of these names.  They are not going to bring back much in the way of prospects regardless.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Let’s not pick and choose who is responsible for what acquisitions with no proof one way or the other.  We know that Getz is the new GM and is responsible for player acquisitions.  No excuses.

I'm not making excuses. I believe Maldonado is a sop to Grifol, giving him a "clubhouse leader". Clevinger parties with a Sox owner. He went out and signed Maldonado. But that's how I reason away Maldonado, not that everyone thought he would be an All-Star, but Grifol couldn't be fired, so give him some help guiding the clubhouse. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

I'm not making excuses. I believe Maldonado is a sop to Grifol, giving him a "clubhouse leader". Clevinger parties with a Sox owner. He went out and signed Maldonado. But that's how I reason away Maldonado, not that everyone thought he would be an All-Star, but Grifol couldn't be fired, so give him some help guiding the clubhouse. 

The Clevinger partying with a minority owner theory is insane

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  I think people are greatly overvaluing what a good defense is going to do for the value of these names.  They are not going to bring back much in the way of prospects regardless.

Let’s see how much the defense matters when it’s hot out and ball is flying at GRF.