Guess Trade Values of Sox Starters

2 hours ago, 4OCS said:

Dude has made four starts at low A and one at rookie ball and you have him pegged for the ‘26 rotation? 🤔

I mean Crochet has made less than half a season of starts and people want to give him an absolute shitload of money. Pitching is unpredictable, which is why I think you should just gather as much as you can and not pay big money for it.

4 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Schultz just turned 21 is ranked the #3 LP prospect in MLB.  Outside of injury he is a starter in Chicago for the 2026 season, they guy is damn near unhittable

I imagine if he hits 80 innings this year, we will see him sometime next summer in Chicago.

• Like 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/06/30/mlb-awards-first-half-all-star-game/74258656007/

The Chicago White Sox quietly engaged in brief contract extension talks with ace Garrett Crochet, but with no optimism towards reaching an agreement, the White Sox intend to trade him by the July 30 trade deadline.

The White Sox have had 15 teams calling to express interest in Crochet, who is making just $800,000 and is under team control through 2026. The X-factor for suitors will be determining just how much Crochet can help them in the pennant stretch and October.

He has already pitched 94 ⅓ innings as a first-year starter, 21 more than his entire career total entering the season, and the White Sox and Crochet already have a firm plan in place to greatly limit his workload in the second half.

It’s quite possible that a team acquiring Crochet may have to offer a contract extension for him to lift those innings restrictions in the second half because of the potential of an injury risk.

– The Los Angeles Dodgers have already made an offer to the White Sox for Crochet, but it was quickly rejected. The White Sox have informed teams they are seeking young prospects with enormous upside.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look, this could be the crazy time where it actually does happen, but every single time I can recall saying "we should be fine with what we have coming" it has ended up being 100% dead wrong.  For whatever reason, it just doesn't happen like this in real life.  I remember looking at Reynaldo Lopez, Lucas Giolito, Michael Kopech, Alec Hanson, Dane Dunning, Carson Fulmer, Ian Hamilton, Zach Burdi, and Dylan Cease the same way.

I also think we're kind of miscomparing rebuilds, too. Giolito, Dunning, Lopez, Eloy, Yoan, Kopech and Cease are comparable to the guys we're going to get in the Robert, Fedde and Crochet trades. 

Take away the Giolito, Lynn, Burger, Middleton, Bummer and Graveman trades, we still have 6-10 interesting starting pitching prospects in our system. 

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the difference is Crochet looks like arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now and is even cheaper than Cease is with potentially three post-seasons to make a difference.  I admit that I question how a team will keep him at this level between now and October, but the market for SP is going to be incredibly seller friendly and there won’t be any other starters available with this type of series changing ability.  As long as teams feel there is a path to keep him strong until October, I think he will command a return much stronger than Cease’s.

It’s funny that a month ago I was being ridiculed for saying I thought Crochet would have slightly less but similar trade value this July to what Cease had last offseason. Now some folks thinking he will have even higher trade value. I don’t necessarily agree with that but at least now you see the light. Crochet is a stud, magical innings limit be damned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s funny that a month ago I was being ridiculed for saying I thought Crochet would have slightly less but similar trade value this July to what Cease had last offseason. Now some folks thinking he will have even higher trade value. I don’t necessarily agree with that but at least now you see the light. Crochet is a stud, magical innings limit be damned.

His didn’t have this level of track record a month ago (which is still extremely small) and the innings limit is still a major concern.  But all it takes is one team to feel they have a way to manage his innings and utilize him as a weapon come October to get a haul and rumors suggest that should happen given how bad the market it is.

And to be clear, you were being ridiculed for this “magical innings limit” crap when the team has already come out and said he Crochet see a reduction in innings in the second half of the year.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I also think we're kind of miscomparing rebuilds, too. Giolito, Dunning, Lopez, Eloy, Yoan, Kopech and Cease are comparable to the guys we're going to get in the Robert, Fedde and Crochet trades. 

Take away the Giolito, Lynn, Burger, Middleton, Bummer and Graveman trades, we still have 6-10 interesting starting pitching prospects in our system. 

About half of that list was draft picks.  And if the Sox concentrate too much on pitching in these trades, they will surely not have enough offense.  There are only a couple of these deals which will bring them high level offensive potential.  If they get pitching instead, this rebuild is in trouble very early.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

About half of that list was draft picks.  And if the Sox concentrate too much on pitching in these trades, they will surely not have enough offense.  There are only a couple of these deals which will bring them high level offensive potential.  If they get pitching instead, this rebuild is in trouble very early.

I wish we'd call this a tank/rebuild instead of just a rebuild. That way the horror of the next few seasons would be more fresh in our minds. I still shake my head at a rotation that includes Cease, Crochet, Thorpe, Fedde, Kopech, Schultz and the other minor leaguers. Robert as well as Quero and Montgomery, Ramos and Colas are ready to rake. But we already got rid of Cease and are about to strip Robert and /Crochet from the mix so we can keep taking/losing at least 2 more seasons. Fun times on the south side.

• Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I wish we'd call this a tank/rebuild instead of just a rebuild. That way the horror of the next few seasons would be more fresh in our minds. I still shake my head at a rotation that includes Cease, Crochet, Thorpe, Fedde, Kopech, Schultz and the other minor leaguers. Robert as well as Quero and Montgomery, Ramos and Colas are ready to rake. But we already got rid of Cease and are about to strip Robert and /Crochet from the mix so we can keep taking/losing at least 2 more seasons. Fun times on the south side.

tf does it matter what we call it?  The previous group failed miserably.  Time for the next guys.  This is a business, and if you want to win, you don't build around dog s%*#.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, greg775 said:

We wouldn’t have Cease and Thorpe in the same rotation. Quero, Montgomery, Ramos, and Colas are all far cries from sure things.

You’ve been pretty extreme in your views lately… it’s like you’re grasping at straws trying to find a way for this team to hold it together and turn it around.

Just accept that we’re going to suck for a while… it’s either that acceptance or a lot of pain resisting the waves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Cease all had higher ceilings as prospects than the majority of the guys they have now. 

They all had ace stuff, and they pitched like it for various amounts of time.  Hahn turned Hector Santiago into 2 of those guys (plus a 3rd) in the 2 best trades he ever made (and he didn't make many good trades).
I'd like to see Getz make some normal baseball trades (i.e. neither buying nor selling) and turn someone like Cannon into the next Eaton. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His didn’t have this level of track record a month ago (which is still extremely small) and the innings limit is still a major concern.  But all it takes is one team to feel they have a way to manage his innings and utilize him as a weapon come October to get a haul and rumors suggest that should happen given how bad the market it is.

And to be clear, you were being ridiculed for this “magical innings limit” crap when the team has already come out and said he Crochet see a reduction in innings in the second half of the year.

Thing is, he already blew past the magical innings limit most had imposed on him for this season. It’s only July 1 😆

46 minutes ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

I think the potential AL ASG starter should be extended and not traded. The only non arbitration contracts on the books are Benintendi and Stassi. This downright refusal to pay players past their rookie contracts is ludicrous. 29 other teams in baseball would behave differently.

yes they would behave differently but this is the White Sox so...

32 minutes ago, hi8is said:

We wouldn’t have Cease and Thorpe in the same rotation. Quero, Montgomery, Ramos, and Colas are all far cries from sure things.

You’ve been pretty extreme in your views lately… it’s like you’re grasping at straws trying to find a way for this team to hold it together and turn it around.

Just accept that we’re going to suck for a while… it’s either that acceptance or a lot of pain resisting the waves.

this site has been trying to get through to him for about 20 years now....

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Has anything changed such that teams will trade away their best prospects or even their 3rd best? We heard all about all of the great offers for Cease, but in the end we got one player in the  back half of the top 100. 
There are some FOs that have done it in the recent past, but one of those is San Diego and they didn’t. Seattle and Philly are others, but they don’t need pitching. Baltimore and Milwaukee certainly need a starter, but they didn’t get where they are by trading away good prospects.

And then there is the timing. If they want to trade him, they should be purely focused on that. But they seem to be prioritizing the All-Star game, which really means they won’t trade him until after that:  and then Pedro yaps  about limiting workload  and they throw him 7 yesterday.

All kind of a mess.  

If  you had discussed ptiching, you'd be agreeing with me.  But  yeah - EVERYTHING you siad, brother.

40 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Thing is, he already blew past the magical innings limit most had imposed on him for this season. It’s only July 1 😆

Crochet hasn’t blown past it yet.  I seem to remember posters expecting 75-100 innings.  I believe you were expecting 150 innings or possibly more.  But even Sox mouthpiece Bob Nightengale is now saying that the Sox have a plan to limit Crochet the rest of the way this season, which you kept arguing wasn’t a thing at all.  It seems to me that the majority of posters that thought there would be an innings limit were right, but were off on the total number of innings that he would pitch.  You were insistent that there was no plan to limit Crochet’s innings because “he’s a freak” and “he’s showing no signs of slowing down” and that his arm can handle it.  How does that make you more right than the majority of posters?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

At this point - we got to just pray that his arm stays healthy and/or we strike on a team looking to jump the market and get a kick start. Looking in direction of San Diego or Seattle or someone else who wants Crochet not just for the post-season and to get a start on him now, but who might also put a bigger premium on his cost control over next few years (maybe a team like Milwalkee, Braves or Pirates could fit into that conversation.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quin said:

A normal team would agree with this.

The Sox? 

"Oh, we're not quite there yet. Thorpe's hitting arbitration, need to trade him."

Let's assume JR is going to JR with Getz much in the same manner he has with KW and Hahn. Maybe now it may even be worse with JR proclaiming they can no longer compete because of their current location and exhorbitant contracts to top players.

We also don't know how Getz will choose to GM . Will it be like Hahn and the middling veteran type talent with the occasional foray above $70M but not above $100M ?  That all fell apart very quickly. Hahn's FA signings throughout his tenure were terrible but that's to be expected when you're dealing with older players. But he kept his job for a long time because he operated within JRs parameters.

JR has never committed to building infrastruture and player development .

So which direction will Getz go ? Will he just be another Hahn doing as JR instructs or can he find a way to get JR to operate more like the Rays . Odds are that JR isn't changing and that Getz is just his latest puppet.

Maybe Robert or Crochet aren't traded by the deadline and we'll get a clearer picture during the off-season and see how much money JR is willing to put into next year's team with more money coming off the books. We're all just speculating now .

Robert is still working on his game. He's trying to be more selective and taking a lot more walks . I still have a difficult time thinking both will be traded by the deadline.

In my eyes it's 50/50 which breaks down to one is and one isn't . Will Getz be targeting position players ? That will make trading them harder. Should he still take high level pitching prospects from a team like the Phillies if they also offer good up the middle type players ? Sox will need a CF , they might need a SS too.

If both are held you're looking for Robert to stay healthy and hit well in the summer months . Crochet... also need him to stay healthy.Maybe he can pitch 150 innings . That would set up a very interesting off season where both could be worth more than they are now. The health of their best players has been an issue . JR is the bigger issue. How he combines his future plans for his heirs ,a new stadium and the team is the conundrum.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Crochet hasn’t blown past it yet.  I seem to remember posters expecting 75-100 innings.  I believe you were expecting 150 innings or possibly more.  But even Sox mouthpiece Bob Nightengale is now saying that the Sox have a plan to limit Crochet the rest of the way this season, which you kept arguing wasn’t a thing at all.  It seems to me that the majority of posters that thought there would be an innings limit were right, but were off on the total number of innings that he would pitch.  You were insistent that there was no plan to limit Crochet’s innings because “he’s a freak” and “he’s showing no signs of slowing down” and that his arm can handle it.  How does that make you more right than the majority of posters?

If he pitches 150+ innings this season is that really an “innings limit”? Sure seems like 150+ innings is a full season’s workload by today’s standards.

• Like 1