Guess Trade Values of Sox Starters

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Your words. I speculated Crochet is worth one 55 FV prospect and two 45/50 FV prospects. So if Crochet “won’t return anywhere near as much as I expect” safe to say you think his value is something like two 45 FV prospects. You’re way off….

That's basically what Cease returned, minus Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

That's basically what Cease returned, minus Wilson. 

I don’t think he’d return two 50 FV prospects like Cease. Maybe one 50 and one 45 or two 45s in addition to the one 55 guy. Crochet doesn’t have the track record that Cease had but he’s younger, cheaper, and has better pure stuff imo.

31 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yes, because teams usually declare the exact number of innings that they expect from each of their starters.  Why would a team declare this?  What benefit would it provide? Come on…

When it comes to oddball situations, teams are typically asked by their local media and generally answered if someone is going to be on a non-standard situation for innings in a season.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t think he’d return two 50 FV prospects like Cease. Maybe one 50 and one 45 or two 45s in addition to the one 55 guy. Crochet doesn’t have the track record that Cease had but he’s younger, cheaper, and has better pure stuff imo.

Fair enough. I'd be happy with that return for Crochet. 

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Then hold him.  There’s really no urgent reason to move him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When it comes to oddball situations, teams are typically asked by their local media and generally answered if someone is going to be on a non-standard situation for innings in a season.

Correct. There has been no indication from Crochet, staff, or management that they plan to shut him down early. In fact, they’ve said the opposite. That they’re trying to be smart about his early season workload so he can make every (most) of his starts this season. It’s why I continue to scratch my head about the insistence that he’s on some type of rigid innings limit or that there’s a pre-planned shutdown after July.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Then hold him.  There’s really no urgent reason to move him.

Similar to Cease, it’s injury risk. If they aren’t planning to extend him beyond next season then Crochet’s trade value will never be higher than this July. I’m fine extending him too but if they aren’t then you have to trade him imo.

5 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Right and that’s what I think is being overlooked here. Everyone is focused on the total innings pitched while 150 innings in a season as a starter might be easier on someone like Garrett than 50 innings as a reliever.

Crochet is also an insanely hard worker who crushes his between start arm/shoulder care program unlike another recent White Sox left hander.  As long as he's feeling good and strong I see no reason to shut him down based on some arbitrary innings limit.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Crochet is also an insanely hard worker who crushes his between start arm/shoulder care program unlike another recent White Sox left hander.  As long as he's feeling good and strong I see no reason to shut him down based on some arbitrary innings limit.  

We’re on the same page

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And I also think other clubs would think it's a good thing that Crochet hasn't logged 5 years of 120-150 innings on his arm.

But they'd also probably like to see that he could do it for a year or two. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

They do it all the time. Dodgers have been open about their plan with Buehler this season, for example.

https://dodgerblue.com/walker-buehler-tommy-john-recovery-innings-limit-season-delayed-dodgers-opening-day-rotation/2024/02/04/amp/

I may have missed it but where in the article was an actual number of innings mentioned in a quote by Buehler or a member of the Dodgers coaching staff or front office?  The article only says, “Buehler acknowledged an innings limit will be in place for 2024.”

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Dallas Keuchel catching strays.

I know you're talking about Rodon, but apparently, Tanner Banks was the only lefty starter in 2023 and Keuchel the only lefty in 2022.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Schultz probably needs another year in the minors to ramp-up.  And that’s ok because I think we’ll have seven or eight guys in competition for three or four spots.  Might as well use 2025 to see what you have in those guys and call up Schultz when he’s able to contribute without significant limitations.

I think Schultz absolutely pitches in Chicago in 2025. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Schultz absolutely pitches in Chicago in 2025. 

I feel like the next two stud pitchers for the Sox are Schultz and Taylor, which is why I would be open to trading some of the other guys to get some bats. Is that crazy?

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I feel like the next two stud pitchers for the Sox are Schultz and Taylor, which is why I would be open to trading some of the other guys to get some bats. Is that crazy?

It’s not crazy but Thorpe belongs in here too 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It’s not crazy but Thorpe belongs in here too 

I believe in Iriarte more than Thorpe, but Iriarte has risk to be the next Kopech. 

Kyle Hendricks is the ceiling for Thorpe. 

There's also a good chance that Thorpe comes up here and the entire league just sits fastball and crushes him. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

20 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

It why I wasn't too upset about the dealing of Mena.  More disapponted in what we have seen from who we got.

7 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I believe in Iriarte more than Thorpe, but Iriarte has risk to be the next Kopech. 

There's also a good chance that Thorpe comes up here and the entire league just sits fastball and crushes him. 

I would LOVE getting a peak Kyle Hendricks out of Thorpe.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

If he has anything close to the career of Kyle Hendricks, that would be huge.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I may have missed it but where in the article was an actual number of innings mentioned in a quote by Buehler or a member of the Dodgers coaching staff or front office?  The article only says, “Buehler acknowledged an innings limit will be in place for 2024.”

It doesn’t give an exact number of innings for the limitation within the article but the GM and manager as well as Buehler himself acknowledge that they delayed the start to his season in order to reduce innings and workload. So yea, clearly they are limiting his usage.

Did the Sox do that with Crochet? Where is it even mentioned that they have a plan for him to make anything less than 30 starts this season if he stays healthy? He leads the team in innings pitched. I don’t see any restrictions thru the first two months of the season.

I don’t know if you’re just trolling or what but one situation there is a clear limitation on the player’s workload that his season as stated by the player and staff as well as the team’s approach to the start of the season with said player whereas the other there certainly doesn’t seem to be one. 

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It why I wasn't too upset about the dealing of Mena.  More disapponted in what we have seen from who we got.

Agreed. The minors appear to be flush with arms. Always need more and can never have enough but the Sox have to be top 7 for minor league pitching depth right now. The positional player depth is a different discussion altogether and that’s why I’m hoping they focus on bats in the July draft, especially if they go with pitching again at #5.

21 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It doesn’t give an exact number of innings for the limitation within the article but the GM and manager as well as Buehler himself acknowledge that they delayed the start to his season in order to reduce innings and workload. So yea, clearly they are limiting his usage.

Did the Sox do that with Crochet? Where is it even mentioned that they have a plan for him to make anything less than 30 starts this season if he stays healthy? He leads the team in innings pitched. I don’t see any restrictions thru the first two months of the season.

I don’t know if you’re just trolling or what but one situation there is a clear limitation on the player’s workload that his season as stated by the player and staff as well as the team’s approach to the start of the season with said player whereas the other there certainly doesn’t seem to be one. 

IMG-0853.jpg