Understanding Jerry

reiks12

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's what a "sale" is.

That rule is about control of the club, which Jerry has. He never sold control of the club. If the caller is right (he’s not the first to say it) then we can assume someone like Mellody Hobson or even Michael Reinsdorf owns the largest percentage of the team while Jerry has control. The question is whether this matters when there is a sale. Does this owner buy the remaining or does a corporation come in and buy it?

1 minute ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

That rule is about control of the club, which Jerry has. He never sold control of the club. If the caller is right (he’s not the first to say it) then we can assume someone like Mellody Hobson or even Michael Reinsdorf owns the largest percentage of the team while Jerry has control. The question is whether this matters when there is a sale. Does this owner buy the remaining or does a corporation come in and buy it?

There are three different notes in there with commas and an "or" in between.  It is any of those three unique items require that vote.

44 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

A gentlemen called into ESPN1000 this AM and said Jerry Reinsdorf owns 19% of the Sox and there is a secret, private majority owner (51%) no one knows about.  He said he has this info having a 1% share in the team and a bunch of CBOT traders from back in the day have 1% shares.

Interesting if true...

Jerry owning a fraction of the team has been know forever but yeah still has full control.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Jerry owning a fraction of the team has been know forever but yeah still has full control.

Who is the mystery owner then?  That is what this 1% Owner Paulie who called in to Kap & Hood opened the can of worms of.

11 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Who is the mystery owner then?  That is what this 1% Owner Paulie who called in to Kap & Hood opened the can of worms of.

If I had to guess, I would guess this is a ramming together of a couple of different things.  We heard the story about Melody Hodson probably buying somewhere around 30$ of the team a while back.  It has been my feeling that this probably means she has an agreement in place with Jerry to buy at least his shares, but maybe all of the team upon his death so that Jerry gets his team sale as well as it happening at the most tax advantageous time possible.  I can't see Jerry just leaving a loose end like not having a sale already prearranged as picky as he has been about who he voted to let into ownership around the league.  If he allowed the Hodson thing to happen in his own group, it only makes sense that she is coming in to take over.

If you think of this in the longer term context, our long term owner is already here, but the actual sale of a majority ownership of the team hasn't happened yet, just an agreement to do so.

Again, totally my speculation, but it checks all of the boxes that have been talked about for years, as well as some of the more persistent rumors out there.

• Like 1