Shut Out Counter

Kyyle23

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, WestEddy said:

No.

I don't think they're going to set that record. 

The team record (21?) is definitely still doable. They're on pace for 22-ish.

I think the MLB record (33) is pretty safe though.

3 hours ago, dohnut said:

The team record (21?) is definitely still doable. They're on pace for 22-ish.

I think the MLB record (33) is pretty safe though.

They're not getting shut out once a series anymore. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

They're not getting shut out once a series anymore. 

There's no way they set the MLB record.

The team record however, really is going to depend on who gets shipped out of here over the next month. The post trade deadline limp to the finish is going to be brutal.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

8v0vx1.gif

You probably want to reword that to make it make sense. I'll wait here while you guys figure out that setting records for futility aren't World Series victories, either. 

Around May 1st next year, nobody on Earth will care. But hey, what are the odds of breaking the run differential record? Can somebody update me if Nicky Lopez still has the lowest RBI of a 2B after 81 games? I'm intrigued. LOL. 

Edited by WestEddy

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You probably want to reword that to make it make sense. I'll wait here while you guys figure out that setting records for futility aren't World Series victories, either. 

Around May 1st next year, nobody on Earth will care. But hey, what are the odds of breaking the run differential record? I'm intrigued. LOL. 

Around May 1st of next year, nobody will care because Getz’s team will have another shot at the record for futility or to top the record if they set it this year.  ?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Around May 1st of next year, nobody will care because Getz’s team will have another shot at the record for futility or to top the record if they set it this year.  ?

Even if that comes to be, the year after, nobody will care. Can you give me Houston Metropolitan suicide statistics during the Astros run of futility when they tanked?

I'm paying attention because I'm "old", and slightly "infirmed" in my retirement, this summer. What's your excuse? 

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Even if that comes to be, the year after, nobody will care. Can you give me Houston Metropolitan suicide statistics during the Astros run of futility when they tanked?

I'm paying attention because I'm "old", and slightly "infirmed" in my retirement, this summer. What's your excuse? 

No, I don’t remember the Astros run of futility all that much but I do remember the 2003 Tigers.

I watch games when I’m not working, fishing with my kids, or watching them play football.  But everyone enjoys watching a train wreck in baseball form every now and then.  And JR, Getz, and Grifol have provided the ultimate show.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 hours ago, WestEddy said:

WestEddy you always are so topical and fun just love it.  Maybe you can work this into your game titles this is great stuff from you man 

12 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Around May 1st next year, nobody on Earth will care. But hey, what are the odds of breaking the run differential record? Can somebody update me if Nicky Lopez still has the lowest RBI of a 2B after 81 games? I'm intrigued. LOL. 

It makes sense don't overthink it. Getz put together one of the worst offenses of the non deadball era. It's so bad that the impetus must have been trying to get shutout, otherwise it makes no sense.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It makes sense don't overthink it. Getz put together one of the worst offenses of the non deadball era. It's so bad that the impetus must have been trying to get shutout, otherwise it makes no sense.

It appeared in the offseason that Getz’s plan was to improve the leadership and defense to help the young pitching prospects excel once they were ready.  I remember posters at the time saying it could be a decent idea but that Getz was completely neglecting offense for defense and leadership.  Well, his plan failed on both sides of the ball.  Not only is the defense atrocious, Getz’s plan led to one of the worst offenses of the non-deadball era, just like you already stated.  So sure, Getz was left with a bad team, but he was also left with some pitching prospects in the minors that Hahn/Kenny acquired at the trade deadline.  And Getz’s own offseason plan was an unmitigated disaster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That logic only works if you imagine Getz rubbing his hands together, and circling a date on the calendar in early April that he knew his 3 top hitters would all be on the IL, and that he also knew his 4th and 5th best hitters would go on abysmal slumps that would last into June.

We all knew it would be a rebuilding year. The team seemed reasonably bad. 

It's funny the pushback I get for pointing out that they finally stopped getting shut out once a series, while everyone is throwing catered parties over low attendance, and worst 81 game start in team history. "In your face, .... not-haters!!!!"

Hey, look on the bright side. This tank is so egregious, maybe it forces some rule changes on roster construction. 

Edited by WestEddy

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That logic only works if you imagine Getz rubbing his hands together, and circling a date on the calendar in early April that he knew his 3 top hitters would all be on the IL, and that he also knew his 4th and 5th best hitters would go on abysmal slumps that would last into June.

We all knew it would be a rebuilding year. The team seemed reasonably bad. 

It's funny the pushback I get for pointing out that they finally stopped getting shut out once a series, while everyone is throwing catered parties over low attendance, and worst 81 game start in team history. "In your face, .... not-haters!!!!"

Hey, look on the bright side. This tank is so egregious, maybe it forces some rule changes on roster construction. 

Again if Chris Getz didn't know that the three guys that typically miss half of a season were going to get hurt, and could all be hurt at the same, he shouldn't be a major league GM.

You get push back over pushing some bizarre narrative over shutouts that doesn't actually change anything of the situation on the ground, which is that this is a historically bad team.  The attempt to connect it to markers of how bad this season is as if people are enjoying this mess is exactly why you get push back for trying to tell people how they should feel about this season.  Fans are upset and justifiably so.  I am not sure why you take that so personally that you feel the need to personally attack the people who disagree with you on it, but it is what it is.  And until the situation on the ground materially improves, this is the way Sox fans are going to be.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It appeared in the offseason that Getz’s plan was to improve the leadership and defense to help the young pitching prospects excel once they were ready.  I remember posters at the time saying it could be a decent idea but that Getz was completely neglecting offense for defense and leadership.  Well, his plan failed on both sides of the ball.  Not only is the defense atrocious, Getz’s plan led to one of the worst offenses of the non-deadball era, just like you already stated.  So sure, Getz was left with a bad team, but he was also left with some pitching prospects in the minors that Hahn/Kenny acquired at the trade deadline.  And Getz’s own offseason plan was an unmitigated disaster.

The plan was to lose more than they won while upgrading the positions that were open. The plan became a disaster when 3 veterans got injured by the 11th game, and two other veterans OPSed under .400 for over a month. We all keep forgetting to mention that. 

He did upgrade SS and 2B. There's no debate on that. The RF tandem fell apart when they became the CF tandem. Maldonado was a sop to Grifol to help him control the clubhouse. I'm guessing Lee is an upgrade from Zavala and Grandal. He inherited the other 4 positions. His 2 best defensive fielders were out most of the season, and LF and 1B regressed. Boo, Getz. 

Again, nobody will even care by May of next year. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The plan was to lose more than they won while upgrading the positions that were open. The plan became a disaster when 3 veterans got injured by the 11th game, and two other veterans OPSed under .400 for over a month. We all keep forgetting to mention that. 

He did upgrade SS and 2B. There's no debate on that. The RF tandem fell apart when they became the CF tandem. Maldonado was a sop to Grifol to help him control the clubhouse. I'm guessing Lee is an upgrade from Zavala and Grandal. He inherited the other 4 positions. His 2 best defensive fielders were out most of the season, and LF and 1B regressed. Boo, Getz. 

Again, nobody will even care by May of next year. 

Sure, the Sox were never going to be in competition for the division, but Getz did have a plan to improve the defense.  He said as much himself in the offseason.

https://soxmachine.com/2024/02/chris-getz-white-sox-defense/

“In the offseason, when I began conversations with potential free agents and agents of pitchers, there was hesitancy to come to the White Sox because of the defense, so that led me to really be proactive in improving that,” Getz said. “I wanted to be an attractive place for pitchers to want to pitch here.”

The big three are injury-prone and unreliable.  If all the fans know it, Getz should have known it.  RF fell apart when his expected starter acquisition in Dominic Fletcher busted hard.  Benintendi was bad last year and Vaughn has never been good.

And yes, Sox fans will remember and care about this season by May of next year, because next season will just be a continuation of the suckitude.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again if Chris Getz didn't know that the three guys that typically miss half of a season were going to get hurt, and could all be hurt at the same, he shouldn't be a major league GM.

You get push back over pushing some bizarre narrative over shutouts that doesn't actually change anything of the situation on the ground, which is that this is a historically bad team.  The attempt to connect it to markers of how bad this season is as if people are enjoying this mess is exactly why you get push back for trying to tell people how they should feel about this season.  Fans are upset and justifiably so.  I am not sure why you take that so personally that you feel the need to personally attack the people who disagree with you on it, but it is what it is.  And until the situation on the ground materially improves, this is the way Sox fans are going to be.

The bizarre narrative is that Chris Getz didn't realize that players could get injured. To me, that's the most bizarre strawman of all time. 3 key players were injured, 2 other key players crashed and burned. Saying Getz "should have known" is the most bizarre strawman of all time. "Knowing" doesn't change the fact that 3 guys got injured, and 2 others produced zeroes. Competitive teams often don't recover from that. The Sox weren't built to be competitive.