Shut Out Counter

Kyyle23

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

1) This year was an obvious rebuild year. There was no plan to be competitive. 
2) Nobody has ever claimed that Getz didn't know players could get injured. 

They had a plan B on each person who went down. No, those plan Bs weren't "plug in star player who will be better than the guy he replaces".  The disconnect comes when you're expecting Getz to have multiple layers of plans in place to be competitive in a year that we all agree could not, in any way, have been "competitive". 

It's like, if 5 starting players are killed in bus crash, then you start complaining that GMs should know that bus crashes happen, and they should still be competitive. 

He's literally making up arguments no one ever said and answering them.And getting likes for it. Can't make this stuff up.

Getz signs a bunch of roster filler because he couldn't sign much else. His best players who are injury prone get injured.No surprise there but they could've stayed healthy. Robert did last year.Moncada has had healthy years.So yes it hurts your record when they get hurt.

It s like there's this imaginary person who said Getz didn't spend enough money to cover for the guys who usually get injured. NO ONE EVER SAID THAT. Why is he arguing with an imaginary guy ? Things were going to be really bad.We all knew that. Guys got hurt and things became really really bad. Ok great we know things are really really bad now. Am I telling anyone anything we haven't known since December or January ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's literally making up arguments no one ever said and answering them.And getting likes for it. Can't make this stuff up.

Getz signs a bunch of roster filler because he couldn't sign much else. His best players who are injury prone get injured.No surprise there but they could've stayed healthy. Robert did last year.Moncada has had healthy years.So yes it hurts your record when they get hurt.

It s like there's this imaginary person who said Getz didn't spend enough money to cover for the guys who usually get injured. NO ONE EVER SAID THAT. Why is he arguing with an imaginary guy ? Things were going to be really bad.We all knew that. Guys got hurt and things became really really bad. Ok great we know things are really really bad now. Am I telling anyone anything we haven't known since December or January ?

Right. Not like the top free agents gave Getz a blank contract, and he turned them down for DeJong and Maldonado. 

I agree with the complaint that we're not giving Colas, DeLoach or Ramos innings. But they're not going to eat 3.5 years of Benintendi's contract. So we're stuck playing the tradeable guys for under 5 weeks. 

Yeah, the thing being missed in all of the "the only reason we are this bad is because all of these bad things happened!" argument,  well besides almost all of those thing happen annually anyway is that this season could have actually gone worse still.

It isn't hard to see a scenario where the Crochet as a starter thing is a disaster, Fedde is the same pitcher he has always been in MLB, and Korey Lee doesn't have a breakthrough 1st half.  Instead Crochet is Cy Young, Fedde is a #2, and Lee is pushing all star considerations after hitting like Moldy last year.

If you asked me if the above or the injuries to Robert/Moncada/Jimenez + awful starts by Benny and Vaughn was more likely I would bet most Sox fans would have felt the latter was more likely.  In some ways Chris Getz has actually seen his team have a very lucky 1st half.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, the thing being missed in all of the "the only reason we are this bad is because all of these bad things happened!" argument,  well besides almost all of those thing happen annually anyway is that this season could have actually gone worse still.

It isn't hard to see a scenario where the Crochet as a starter thing is a disaster, Fedde is the same pitcher he has always been in MLB, and Korey Lee doesn't have a breakthrough 1st half.  Instead Crochet is Cy Young, Fedde is a #2, and Lee is pushing all star considerations after hitting like Moldy last year.

If you asked me if the above or the injuries to Robert/Moncada/Jimenez + awful starts by Benny and Vaughn was more likely I would bet most Sox fans would have felt the latter was more likely.  In some ways Chris Getz has actually seen his team have a very lucky 1st half.

Just to clarify - I haven't been arguing that "the only reason they're bad"....

They were supposed to be "merely bad". The first 2-3 weeks set the tone. Yes, they have been fortunate with the items you've mentioned. DeJong also had a better than expected beginning to his season. Sheets broke out. Pillar wasn't terrible. Pham hit the ground running, as did Julks. The injuries have covered up Eloy not really being all that. Sheets has out-produced him. And Robert hasn't gotten off the ground all year. 

3 hours ago, T R U said:

That 2000 White Sox team had 7 of 9 starters with an OPS over .800

Sheeeeeesh

I'm always amazed - like it's a completely different time. The Brewers just let Jose Valentin go for Jaime Navarro and John Snyder. Then threw in an injured Cal Eldred for good measure. 

Like, Valentin's agent probably brought some rudimentary advanced stats to negotiations, and the brass was like, "f*** this guy, we got Ronnie Belliard coming up!"

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You put quotes around  " the only reason we are this bad is because all these bad things happened."

Who is this imaginary friend of yours who said this ?

You're quoting someone right ?

• Like 1