Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

I want to give another shout out to all at Future Sox for all they do. My 2 favs are Elijah Evans & jeff Cohen.

Elijah is in a class by himself and jeff gets a firsthand prospectus and does interviews with the players. 

Sports radio and all the tv sports entertainment shows have zero appeal to me. Pat Macafee and Aaron Rodgers probably was the bottom of the barrel along with Dan Berstein.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's a really bad call. I like John getting upset, f*** it. Has nothing to do with the IF fly rule that is not interference by even the strictest interpretation imo. 

Like how is the SS "hindered" from making the play there? He camped under it if this is how they are going to interpret the rule then defenders should just purposely go hit baserunners every time there is an infield pop up. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tony said:

It’s just like, DUDE stop with the “this is actually better than you think” stuff!  They are 2 games away from being 30 UNDER .500 and it’s June 1.  The Sox aren’t being caught at the wrong time lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s just like, DUDE stop with the “this is actually better than you think” stuff!  They are 2 games away from being 30 UNDER .500 and it’s June 1.  The Sox aren’t being caught at the wrong time lol

They’ve been outscored by 134 (almost as many runs as they’ve scored this year).  They’ve scored 50 less runs than the next lowest in baseball and they have given up the second most runs in baseball behind only Colorado.  And this isnt a young team with fun kids to watch either. 

15 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

They’ve been outscored by 134 (almost as many runs as they’ve scored this year).  They’ve scored 50 less runs than the next lowest in baseball and they have given up the second most runs in baseball behind only Colorado.  And this isnt a young team with fun kids to watch either. 

We’re just catching these guys at the wrong time.

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

I don’t have any issue with the way he calls a game. He’s a solid announcer.

However, some of the things he says are incredibly stupid. The fans watching don’t need to be coddled or misled. This team stinks. I don’t expect him to say they stink. That would be dumb. At this point, he should just be calling the game. Get excited when the Sox do something good, but don’t oversell.

If he can’t figure out a way to be truthful, I think he’ll be equally insufferable if/when the Sox start to win.

• Like 3

I have all kinds of patience for someone learning on the job, but his lack of ability to read the room is what’s been turning me off about him.

Its a very basic skill that has nothing to do with his inexperience with the Sox or baseball as a whole.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JoeC said:

We’re just catching these guys at the wrong time.

The schedule makers and the umpires have conspired to make the White Sox seem like they awful, when, in fact, it’s just a tough stretch every team goes through. He should be a politician.

i have the feeling that one year ago John Schriffen couldn’t name 8 players that spent the majority of their career with the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The schedule makers and the umpires have conspired to make the White Sox seem like they awful, when, in fact, it’s just a tough stretch every team goes through. He should be a politician.

i have the feeling that one year ago John Schriffen couldn’t name 8 players that spent the majority of their career with the White Sox.

I don’t get the point of the second half of this. It wasn’t his job a year ago.

he needs to cool it a little bit though I agree there. 

5 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I don’t have any issue with the way he calls a game. He’s a solid announcer.

However, some of the things he says are incredibly stupid. The fans watching don’t need to be coddled or misled. This team stinks. I don’t expect him to say they stink. That would be dumb. At this point, he should just be calling the game. Get excited when the Sox do something good, but don’t oversell.

If he can’t figure out a way to be truthful, I think he’ll be equally insufferable if/when the Sox start to win.

You serious? He has no idea what he's watching. He doesn't understand anything about baseball. He frequently loses track of the outs, who is on what base, what constitutes a good play, a bad play, a dumb play -- he has no idea. 

He's awful. The only thing he's good at is sucking up to Stone. Which has been a requirement on this job ever since Hawk left. Jason humored him but had enough of his own gravitas not to engage when Stone would get pissy. John does not. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You serious? He has no idea what he's watching. He doesn't understand anything about baseball. He frequently loses track of the outs, who is on what base, what constitutes a good play, a bad play, a dumb play -- he has no idea. 

He's awful. The only thing he's good at is sucking up to Stone. Which has been a requirement on this job ever since Hawk left. Jason humored him but had enough of his own gravitas not to engage when Stone would get pissy. John does not. 

I don’t watch every game, but in my exposure to him, I don’t have a huge issue. I think he’s guilty of overselling a bad product.

2 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I don’t watch every game, but in my exposure to him, I don’t have a huge issue. I think he’s guilty of overselling a bad product.

I've watched 80% of the innings, most of them with the sound up. He's bad. Like most bad things in baseball he gets worse with the grind of an almost every night season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I don't watch any games (thanks Jerry for ruining a lifelong fan's fandom) but it sounds like this guy is disgraceful compared to what we're used to: Harry, Hawk, Benetti, Farmer and Darrin Jackson. And of course the great Stoney. He certainly doesn't need any catch phrases for this woebegone team.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sorry - when I said “wrong time,” i meant between the first and last pitches.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That’s “The Legend Steve Stone” to you!

• Haha 1
  • Hawk 1