Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

On 6/5/2024 at 6:04 AM, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t know if you guys can tell, but there is 100 percent a restrictor plate that has been put in place, I think the producer is heavily involved on presentation now.  You could almost hear someone tell him to keep his s%*# together when Sosa hit his homer.

That was probably about the same time I said in the game thread that John calmed down a bit and was doing a decent job just calling the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Stoney is a treasure. I'm pretty sure he's cut his social media tweeting (X'ing) quite a bit. Hasn't he pretty much stopped posting on X? That should tell us something right there. He can't post anything about this team without getting hammered by the responses. I mean the team is completely irrelevant and no post would make any sense unless it's extremely negative. He can't do that and keep his job. Like after last night he could post how bad Kopech is, but didn't. Or getting on a guy like Maldy for his inept at bats. Or bury Vaughn. He can't do that. So I believe he's stopped tweeting for the most part.

Steve Stone is a bitter has been.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

My beefs, in no real order:

Gives a lot of generic calls.  For example he'll do stuff like "2-1 on the batter". Come on John, I know this is TV but just give us the names, your producer can whisper it in your ear. He also repeats phrases, and this is part of the generic feeling, almost like a video game announcer. Every time the last two nights the Cubs scored he used "and the Sox' lead is cut to ____". OK, that's fine, use that once, use it twice, but not every single time the Cubs score. How about you throw in a "And the Cubs score 2 to make it a one run ballgame".

Ballwashes the Sox and players. This one doesn't need much explanation we got the Iraqi defense minister in the booth.

Constantly is mentioning how it's his "first". All this does is remind us how he's not familiar with the Sox, isn't familiar with the opposition, isn't familiar with being a everyday MLB play by play guy in general.

Absolutely never mentions any advanced stats. I appreciated that Jason would sometimes attempt it.

All in all it adds up to a guy that is just a constant reminder of how excellence or even competence isn't required to work on the South Side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Steve Stone is a bitter has been.

He’s a company man now.  He is milking that gig of his.  He knows he can get away with being a dick to his partner and take “convenient” breaks from west coast trips.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Blackhawks basically just fired and replaced their PbP guy today.  That isn't going to help out John one bit.

Would JR be in charge of this process or would the new network get the final say?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Technically this is a network hire, but since the teams own the network...

I think JR would be too lazy and cheap to pay Schriffen to leave and also look for and pay a new guy.  Just like the Getz hire in which he interviewed zero other candidates for the job.  A job which is way more important than a broadcaster job.  JR wants a yes man that he can control.  Schriffen is most definitely that guy in the booth.

• 5 weeks later...

I totally missed him doing the “growl” on the Robert HR, and while I have probably been one of his loudest critics, it was so stupid, so weird….I loved it. Credit is deserved where it’s due, and loved that call. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I totally missed him doing the “growl” on the Robert HR, and while I have probably been one of his loudest critics, it was so stupid, so weird….I loved it. Credit is deserved where it’s due, and loved that call. 

I will also chime in that the AdEEEEEEEEEEos made me laugh.

In the second Marlins game, talked about what a great day Benintendi was having on his birthday. True, the guy had two hits, but one was an infield dribbler off the end of his bat. He then grounded out to second. So, on his birthday, Benintendi got one ball out of the infield in three at-bats. Then he butchered a play in left. Schriffen is so annoying.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I view Scrhiff as a hyperactive young kid that drives you nuts.

In this lost season I cannot stop laughing listening to the disdain for Schriff.  I am loving it, South Side Stand Up!

More Schriff disdain please, I find it very entertaining, much more than the everyday Jerry Reinsdorf hate  :)

Edited by Falstaff
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

This is a troll play, by a troll radio station, by a troll radio personality.  I do wish we had people who didn't stoop to the level of giving this guy any legitimacy by acknowledging his existence and giving pseudo credibility to him by treating him as worthy of being responded to.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a troll play, by a troll radio station, by a troll radio personality.  I do wish we had people who didn't stoop to the level of giving this guy any legitimacy by acknowledging his existence and giving pseudo credibility to him by treating him as worthy of being responded to.

Precisely.

By literally just keeping his mouth shut about the topic, Schriffen wins by virtue of not being employed by The Score.

Instead, he's decided to stoop down to their level, where they'll beat him with experience.

• Like 3

This guy pisses me off.  He always does the "isn't everything so wonderful?!?" schtick but it feels phony.  Like last night I turn on the game and he's saying how awesome Oakland fans are and how great the Oakland Colluseum is.. it feels fake and he seems like he is kind of a prick underneath that whole persona.  He may be a great guy, but I get weird vibes from him... could just be him trying too hard. 

I gotta say, I really enjoy Beckham in the booth.  I'd dump Stone for him.  I'm tired of Stone's whole thing.  

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

This guy pisses me off.  He always does the "isn't everything so wonderful?!?" schtick but it feels phony.  Like last night I turn on the game and he's saying how awesome Oakland fans are and how great the Oakland Colluseum is.. it feels fake and he seems like he is kind of a prick underneath that whole persona.  He may be a great guy, but I get weird vibes from him... could just be him trying too hard. 

I gotta say, I really enjoy Beckham in the booth.  I'd dump Stone for him.  I'm tired of Stone's whole thing.  

Literally everyone else has sounded better with John vs having Steve with John.,

Garbage all around.  Schriff continues to lose over and over both in the booth and in public perception.  Just stop talking about the score, is it that hard?  This one had NOTHING to do with Schriffen 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Garbage all around.  Schriff continues to lose over and over both in the booth and in public perception.  Just stop talking about the score, is it that hard?  This one had NOTHING to do with Schriffen 

Correct. But we've seen multiple times this season, he seems to like to play in the mud. He's in way over his head, but he's not a total idiot. He knew The Score would react to the comments he decided to make on the air, during a White Sox broadcast. He knows it. And he decided to do it anyway. So he is far from the victim here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Look, I totally get the annoyance of having little yappy dogs nipping at your heels constantly, but at some point you just learn who is worth giving oxygen to, and who is not.  The Score has been running this exact operation for decades for nothing more than ratings.  Call it the Mariotti plan.  But John does nothing by engaging with these clowns.

• Like 3