Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Once they pushed their boy Jason out and didn’t take McKnight, poor Schriffen had no shot with Chicago sports radio. He did himself no favors though.

They had Schriffen on the day he was announced.  There was zero animosity in that interview 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Once they pushed their boy Jason out and didn’t take McKnight, poor Schriffen had no shot with Chicago sports radio. He did himself no favors though.

That is quite literally step one here.  Step two is that it is working because John keeps shooting back and giving them validation and oxygen here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is quite literally step one here.  Step two is that it is working because John keeps shooting back and giving them validation and oxygen here.

No this thing you are calling step 1 is the actual tabloidization of what happened.  

you guys talking about sources and taking what fathom said right there as verified and true.  Come on now 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He sucks at his job, the criticism has been valid.  Talking back to the media on air and refusing to address it with them is definitely one of his downfalls and if he were employed by any other team, he would probably be unemployed by now for how bad he has been.

Why?  Who are they where he needs to answer to them.  If he goes on their show he will be ambushed by 4 dudes looking for content like this.  I wouldn't do it.  

Now, if they want to reach out to him behind the scenes to work this out then absolutely.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Oh come on..."poor Schriffen"?? 

Just now, 2Deep said:

Why?  Who are they where he needs to answer to them.  If he goes on their show he will be ambushed by 4 dudes looking for content like this.  I wouldn't do it.  

Now, if they want to reach out to him behind the scenes to work this out then absolutely.

The idea that someone can pick a fight with you, and then you are obligated to go refute them and aid their ratings is absurd. I get the not going on the air thing with them, but he would be so much better to completely ignoring them instead of treating this like some kind of WWE feud where you need the last word.

• Like 1

Just now, 2Deep said:

They have said they have reached out to him every time to talk about this stuff every time he brings it up, and he refuses to talk.

and that’s his right to not comment but if we are all talking “journalism” then all parties should be at the table talking about what is happening here, and the only thing happening is an announcer snipes at the radio guys who can spend four hours reacting to it the next day.  Doesn’t work out for him either 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea that someone can pick a fight with you, and then you are obligated to go refute them and aid their ratings is absurd. I get the not going on the air thing with them, but he would be so much better to completely ignoring them instead of treating this like some kind of WWE feud where you need the last word.

I agree with you

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nobody is talking about ratings here.  Schriffen isn’t some huge ratings grab for them, this doesn’t move that needle.  This is just a dumb thing that won’t go away 

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Because they weren't shitting on him at that point.

Yea but apparently they were pretty upset that “their boy Jason was pushed out and McKnight didn’t get it either” so I guess they were already mad huh

Just now, 2Deep said:

He doesn't "owe" them anything. It's his choice if he doesn't want to go on those shows. 

BUT, words have consequences. Schriffen is the one that decided to run with the "for all the haters out there" when the Sox were already 20+ games under .500. It was an ambiguous comment where both stations reached out to him for comment. He declined. Ok...then you're leaving those comments about "all the haters" up for discussion and conjecture, which is exactly what happened. Then things died down. THEN Schriffen decided to jump back in the mud, directly calling out the station, on a White Sox broadcast. The Score should just ignore it? Not discuss it on air? 

You can't have it both ways. Either ignore each other, or have a discussion. But there isn't a victim here when both parties sling it on their own broadcasts, then won't talk about it with each other.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

They have said they have reached out to him every time to talk about this stuff every time he brings it up, and he refuses to talk.

and that’s his right to not comment but if we are all talking “journalism” then all parties should be at the table talking about what is happening here, and the only thing happening is an announcer snipes at the radio guys who can spend four hours reacting to it the next day.  Doesn’t work out for him either 

So we are suppose to believe what "They" say.  This is part of why we are having this discussion....I don't believe a lot of what that show says when it comes to white sox and sources.  I am all for them shitting on the team and Jerry because it's deserved.

"They" have also said they have invited him on the show........again my point, if you are JS why would you do that to get ambushed???

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea but apparently they were pretty upset that “their boy Jason was pushed out and McKnight didn’t get it either” so I guess they were already mad huh

They have come out and said they were pissed Jason left and Connor did not get the PBP.  I have heard them say this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

So we are suppose to believe what "They" say.  This is part of why we are having this discussion....I don't believe a lot of what that show says when it comes to white sox and sources.  I am all for them shitting on the team and Jerry because it's deserved.

"They" have also said they have invited him on the show........again my point, if you are JS why would you do that to get ambushed???

At least then John comes out looking like the adult here.  “I tried to work it out and you heard what happened”

instead just rolling in the mud

Just now, 2Deep said:

They have come out and said they were pissed Jason left and Connor did not get the PBP.  I have heard them say this.

I have not heard this

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

He doesn't "owe" them anything. It's his choice if he doesn't want to go on those shows. 

BUT, words have consequences. Schriffen is the one that decided to run with the "for all the haters out there" when the Sox were already 20+ games under .500. It was an ambiguous comment where both stations reached out to him for comment. He declined. Ok...then you're leaving those comments about "all the haters" up for discussion and conjecture, which is exactly what happened. Then things died down. THEN Schriffen decided to jump back in the mud, directly calling out the station, on a White Sox broadcast. The Score should just ignore it? Not discuss it on air? 

You can't have it both ways. Either ignore each other, or have a discussion. But there isn't a victim here when both parties sling it on their own broadcasts, then won't talk about it with each other.  

This part I do agree with.  Just shut up and ignore them, like they deserve.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

There are no victims here.  

I agree there should be a discussion.........IF I'm JS, and I'm not, I would never have that discussion with these 4 dudes on air because it will/could go south, and that is what guys like Riordan enjoy.

2 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

If Schiffren is correct, and his statement that the report The Score ran with isn't true, it shouldn't be a difficult interview. He's with the team everyday. If the facts are on his side, there isn't much to debate. But he's made the choice not to engage with them. Fine..his choice. But it just adds another log onto the fire and the discussion will probably continue, especially since Schriffren continues to want to stir the pot from the broadcast booth. 

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They had Schriffen on the day he was announced.  There was zero animosity in that interview 

ESPN1000 did…I was talking about the Score. Then this whole thing snowballed and everyone looks stupid.  These guys were complaining about some of Schriffen’s catchphrases early on, but you would have never heard that with the golden boy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

None of this would matter if the SOX organization weren't clowns and we didn't suck as a team.

This is also accurate. I still wouldn't like him as a broadcaster, but there are plenty of guys I haven't enjoyed listening to before. Replacing a well liked PxP guy is hard enough, doing it during a historically bad season when most of the fan base is fed up with the organization makes it a herculean effort. He hasn't done himself any favors, my advice to him before the season would be to fly under the radar, get your feet under you for a season or two before you really come out of your shell..but he went the other way on that one. 

Additionally, taking out the whole Score beef...I heard a soundbite from two weeks ago from the Sox broadcast where he was telling Beckham how when they go on the road, the opposing teams broadcasters expect the Sox to come in and just be awful, and by the time the series is over, broadcasters are telling him how surprised they were to see the Sox, how they were in all of these games, they just can't find a way to finish things off. It's comments like that which will get him lambasted, and rightfully so. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. You think Sox fans believe that? During a historic losing streak? 

The point is while this was a very hard assignment, he's made a number of unforced errors that have made him very unlikable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is also accurate. I still wouldn't like him as a broadcaster, but there are plenty of guys I haven't enjoyed listening to before. Replacing a well liked PxP guy is hard enough, doing it during a historically bad season when most of the fan base is fed up with the organization makes it a herculean effort. He hasn't done himself any favors, my advice to him before the season would be to fly under the radar, get your feet under you for a season or two before you really come out of your shell..but he went the other way on that one. 

Additionally, taking out the whole Score beef...I heard a soundbite from two weeks ago from the Sox broadcast where he was telling Beckham how when they go on the road, the opposing teams broadcasters expect the Sox to come in and just be awful, and by the time the series is over, broadcasters are telling him how surprised they were to see the Sox, how they were in all of these games, they just can't find a way to finish things off. It's comments like that which will get him lambasted, and rightfully so. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. You think Sox fans believe that? During a historic losing streak? 

The point is while this was a very hard assignment, he's made a number of unforced errors that have made him very unlikable. 

Funny thing is I agree with you, I just don’t know what he’s supposed to say.  And by no means am I defending him, he needs to be one and done.