Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is also accurate. I still wouldn't like him as a broadcaster, but there are plenty of guys I haven't enjoyed listening to before. Replacing a well liked PxP guy is hard enough, doing it during a historically bad season when most of the fan base is fed up with the organization makes it a herculean effort. He hasn't done himself any favors, my advice to him before the season would be to fly under the radar, get your feet under you for a season or two before you really come out of your shell..but he went the other way on that one. 

Additionally, taking out the whole Score beef...I heard a soundbite from two weeks ago from the Sox broadcast where he was telling Beckham how when they go on the road, the opposing teams broadcasters expect the Sox to come in and just be awful, and by the time the series is over, broadcasters are telling him how surprised they were to see the Sox, how they were in all of these games, they just can't find a way to finish things off. It's comments like that which will get him lambasted, and rightfully so. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. You think Sox fans believe that? During a historic losing streak? 

The point is while this was a very hard assignment, he's made a number of unforced errors that have made him very unlikable. 

I mean at some point someone like Brooks Boyer should have told him to STFU, but that would require leadership.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean at some point someone like Brooks Boyer should have told him to STFU, but that would require leadership.

He’s too busy destroying the organization, if you’re to believe Hawk

On 8/6/2024 at 3:54 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Look, I totally get the annoyance of having little yappy dogs nipping at your heels constantly, but at some point you just learn who is worth giving oxygen to, and who is not.  The Score has been running this exact operation for decades for nothing more than ratings.  Call it the Mariotti plan.  But John does nothing by engaging with these clowns.

I don’t think those guys are clowns. They have the best sports talk show in the city. 

20 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The same Score producer said that he would bang another radio host’s dead mother.  He got a week off for that incident.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/5/17/23726849/shane-riordan-the-score-dan-proft-wind-danny-parkins-matt-spiegel-chicago-sports-conservative-radi

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lol, the score hasn't had credibility for decades.

They have plenty of credibility. Come on, man. It’s the most popular sports station in the city. Also, Dan Proft sucks. I wouldn’t have said that and Shane didn’t know his mother was dead but I don’t feel any sympathy for Dan Proft. 

6 hours ago, spiderman said:

When did Shane Riordan become a reliable source for the White Sox? With all of the turnover on the roster, who exactly is feeding him information? Gavin Sheets? Andrew Vaughn? 

Just seems like a stretch to take a guy who isn't a reporter as not only a reporter, but as having "inside sources"....I know that's a thing though for reporters to claim to have when most of these don't actually exist or aren't reliable...

Also saw Awful Announcing saying that the Parkins/Spiegal show has been reliable on breaking news with the White Sox. What are they talking about? 

The Score, particularly the midday show, have become a bunch of social justice/race hustling garbage content. 

I know these guys a bit. Matt Spiegel and Shane Riordan don’t just make things up. They had corroboration from players. I’ll take their word over White Sox PR. 

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

The guy is the executive producer of probably the flagship show on the #1 sportsradio station in the third largest market in the country but people act like he has no sources or connections because he got into a spat with weirdo, Dan Proft.  Meanwhile, people share tweets from "@SuperDawgHotDog492384248" as if they are an authority. 

I find it odd that everyone here is very ready to assume the worst about the White Sox but this is a bridge too far?  That the manager we all hate and do not respect lost the clubhouse in the middle of a historic losing streak during the worst season of anyone's life?  Lol why is this being debated?

I don't get Soxtalk sometimes. 

Exactly this. 

45 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

The Score and Riordan started the issue with Schriffen.

I applaud Schriffen for sticking it right back up their asses.  The days of sitting by while others badmouth you and ridicule you is gone in media and most other places. 

Now, I do agree that at some point JS needs to let it go and move on because he has clapped back at Spiegel, Parkins, and Riordan.   JS has a lot of growing to do as a 1st year Sox broadcaster, but taking crap from these jabronis and going back at them isn't one of his downfalls.

They didn’t start anything. Spiegel was critical of John Schriffen’s job performance. John is totally fair game. It’s market 3 my friend. Then he reacted and said the haters and losers thing. Multiple outlets tried to have him on to explain who the haters were and he declined. The criticism continued because he’s bad at his job. I don’t think it’s smart to be sniping back and forth with guys who have a platform from 2-6 every day and nothing to discuss. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think those guys are clowns. They have the best sports talk show in the city. 

They have plenty of credibility. Come on, man. It’s the most popular sports station in the city. Also, Dan Proft sucks. I wouldn’t have said that and Shane didn’t know his mother was dead but I don’t feel any sympathy for Dan Proft. 

I know these guys a bit. Matt Spiegel and Shane Riordan don’t just make things up. They had corroboration from players. I’ll take their word over White Sox PR. 

Exactly this. 

They didn’t start anything. Spiegel was critical of John Schriffen’s job performance. John is totally fair game. It’s market 3 my friend. Then he reacted and said the haters and losers thing. Multiple outlets tried to have him on to explain who the haters were and he declined. The criticism continued because he’s bad at his job. I don’t think it’s smart to be sniping back and forth with guys who have a platform from 2-6 every day and nothing to discuss. 

Please do not ask me to equate "popular" with credibility, quality, or anything else in 2024, other than popular.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Please do not ask me to equate "popular" with credibility, quality, or anything else in 2024, other than popular.

Okay. I’ll do this a different way. You’re wrong about this. They’re credible. 

• Like 1

Okay. I’ll do this a different way. You’re wrong about this. They’re credible. 

I find them no more credible than any other talk show masquerading as providing information to the public.  I mean do we take John as credible as to what is happening in the White Sox organization because he knows everyone in it and talks to them regularly as a part of his job?  Do we do that for Chris Getz or Jerry Reinsdorf?  Of course not.  They have something to sell, just like the Score does.  The more controversy the Score can generate, the better off they are.  They love every minute of this, because they know people are going to run over to hear what they have to say about what John has to say about them.  It's their reason for existance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we can all agree that Riordan and Schriffen both suck and that taking sides in this fight is pointless.

I mean seriously.  Taking one of these sides as some sort of reputable source is absurd.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we can all agree that Riordan and Schriffen both suck and that taking sides in this fight is pointless.

I don’t agree. I just fundamentally don’t believe that the radio station did anything wrong in regards to Schriffen. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I find them no more credible than any other talk show masquerading as providing information to the public.  I mean do we take John as credible as to what is happening in the White Sox organization because he knows everyone in it and talks to them regularly as a part of his job?  Do we do that for Chris Getz or Jerry Reinsdorf?  Of course not.  They have something to sell, just like the Score does.  The more controversy the Score can generate, the better off they are.  They love every minute of this, because they know people are going to run over to hear what they have to say about what John has to say about them.  It's their reason for existance.

Theyd much prefer that the White Sox were a winning operation. It’s way better when teams are good. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And David Kaplan, a host on a rival station, said he heard the same things from people in the clubhouse.  Why would he do that if it wasn't true? 

White Sox PR and John "We are just catching teams at the wrong time" Schriffen are the truth tellers now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t agree. I just fundamentally don’t believe that the radio station did anything wrong in regards to Schriffen. 

Theyd much prefer that the White Sox were a winning operation. It’s way better when teams are good. 

Of course they would, but nothing they do has any affect on that.  Short of that, they still have 24 hours a day to fill.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Of course they would, but nothing they do has any affect on that.  Short of that, they still have 24 hours a day to fill.

Do you think Spiegel and Riordan made up the story? 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Obviously the players think Pedro is a buffoon and of course he lost the clubhouse. The question is what difference does that make? Probably none.

These players would be just as bad even if they loved and respected Pedro. Sox need a lot of changes of course. One is to start hiring guys like Dusty Baker, lifers who know what is up. Shoulda hired Dusty 15 years ago. Or some other proven name guy.

Pretty sure you just described Tony La Russa.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Do you think Spiegel and Riordan made up the story? 

I have zero idea what they did, or did not do.  What I am saying is I am not willing to believe them simply because they have sources, anymore than I am willing to give credibility to others in similar spots.  Even being right in a particular case doesn't mean anything for other situations.

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you.  I just think the whole beef these two have is really dumb and both are unlikeable and not worth the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you.  I just think the whole beef these two have is really dumb and both are unlikeable and not worth the time.

This.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is probably closest to the truth TBH.

54 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Exactly this. 

your-opinion.gif

So it’s okay for an “adult” on the radio to say he’ll bone a radio host’s mom, as long as she is still alive?  Riordan is a clown and there’s a reason he gets shredded in almost every Tweet he makes.  His block list must be miles long.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And somehow there’s 15 pages on it 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

your-opinion.gif

So it’s okay for an “adult” on the radio to say he’ll bone a radio host’s mom, as long as she is still alive?  Riordan is a clown and there’s a reason he gets shredded in almost every Tweet he makes.  His block list must be miles long.

No. But the things Proft said are much more offensive than someone saying they’d bang his mother. That’s like a 7th grade level dig. I hear it weekly. 

No. But the things Proft said are much more offensive than someone saying they’d bang his mother. That’s like a 7th grade level dig. I hear it weekly. 

Proft said Chicago is like a war zone with all the shootings.  Obviously it was hyperbole but not that far off.

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And then Proft exploited his dead mother by continuously bringing it up for like 2 months trying to start a radio feud and had his nutjob followers try to cancel them.  It was one of the dumbest Chicago media stories ever. 

A week after my mother died, I had a coworker absentmindedly say "Your mom" to me in jest.  I shrugged it off because it was obvious he didn't know/forgot.  I didn't run around and tell everyone and try to get him in trouble.  Dan Proft is a total douchebag.  The fact that people would all of a sudden start defending Grifol because the messenger was in a silly twitter beef with that loser is insane to me. 

Edit:  I'm pretty sure at one point, Proft was trying to accuse Riordan of necrophilia as if that's what he meant by that dumb joke. 

Edited by Nardiwashere