Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

If you listened to Jason call non-Sox games the past few years, it was clear that the (already very good) broadcast would get better once Steve retired, cause Steve's heart wasn't in it for another awful team.

He was great when he filled in with the Bulls. Way better than Amin. My criticism of him is consistent: he wasn't a big enough homer. He did too many national games. I think the conflict of interest in his two jobs didn't allow for him to the do the Sox job its full justice. I like Schriffen's shtick; the hubris, the homerism. Imagine Bob Uecker saying, "just a bit outside", I think that character is what the local broadcaster should aspire to be.

Schriffen is in that mold but needs to figure out how to not sound like a complete asshole. There are a lot of other things that he could potentially do better too. I hope he gets better. It's funny, he did actually sound way better with Beckham...at least, it wasn't adversarial. Maybe Stone is a major impediment. Just please don't replace him with Beckham.

21 minutes ago, nrockway said:

He was great when he filled in with the Bulls. Way better than Amin. My criticism of him is consistent: he wasn't a big enough homer. He did too many national games. I think the conflict of interest in his two jobs didn't allow for him to the do the Sox job its full justice. I like Schriffen's shtick; the hubris, the homerism. Imagine Bob Uecker saying, "just a bit outside", I think that character is what the local broadcaster should aspire to be.

Schriffen is in that mold but needs to figure out how to not sound like a complete asshole. There are a lot of other things that he could potentially do better too. I hope he gets better. It's funny, he did actually sound way better with Beckham...at least, it wasn't adversarial. Maybe Stone is a major impediment. Just please don't replace him with Beckham.

Jason very clearly loves/loved the Sox — it was after all, his actual dream job — he was just a pro on the mic. There were little slips during that opening series where it felt like he was calling for the Sox.

He needs a Stacey King-type as his color guy to be the bombastic homer. Sox fans are used to getting color from the play by play guy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Jason very clearly loves/loved the Sox — it was after all, his actual dream job — he was just a pro on the mic. There were little slips during that opening series where it felt like he was calling for the Sox.

He needs a Stacey King-type as his color guy to be the bombastic homer. Sox fans are used to getting color from the play by play guy.

That's a great call.  Jason needs someone who has fun with him. It's why the Walton calls were the best 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's a great call.  Jason needs someone who has fun with him. It's why the Walton calls were the best 

We should have fucking listened to Bill, man. We should have kept Ricky.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

He's in an impossible spot, but the problem I have with Schriffen, is his spin totally disrespects his audience. The people still watching this crap know far more White Sox history than he possibly ever will. The people still watching this crap understand baseball maybe at least as well or better than he does or ever will. Quit spinning. We all know this is garbage. You are what your record says you are. 15-45 is historically bad. Own it. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's in an impossible spot, but the problem I have with Schriffen, is his spin totally disrespects his audience. The people still watching this crap know far more White Sox history than he possibly ever will. The people still watching this crap understand baseball maybe at least as well or better than he does or ever will. Quit spinning. We all know this is garbage. You are what your record says you are. 15-45 is historically bad. Own it. 

Own this, Dick Allen!  I know we have racked up the L’s this season but we ain’t gonna take this kind of talk from you!  Hell naw, we ain’t!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is correct. He's gone about this incredibly wrong. He wanted to use the forced tagline of "Southside, Stand up!" which is fine, whatever...but by doing it, calling out a neighborhood/location, you're basically speaking for that group. If you don't come off as genuine and understanding the culture, history...it isn't going to work. And it hasn't. 

But also in his defense, if this team was 40-15, people would be in love with him. He got dealt a shitty hand, but he's made the hand worse. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's so funny he's talking how Contreras is barking, and he's just running back to the dugout. It was just phony.

Oh Contreras 100% said something to him.  Watch the body language before he runs off the screen.  He is absolutely shittalking Pham there.  He just didn't care enough to stick around after that.

3 hours ago, tray said:

Complain about the announcer. OK, whatever..

I mean, he’s technically the guy you’re dealing with the most as a fan. Individual players aren’t involved in every play, but you’re hearing the announcer every minute of every game. If he sucks, he’s going to make the experience of watching a game worse. Seems reasonable to complain about it.

Doesn't matter to me. I mainly watch games on mute while doing something else. Not sure I’d even know the guy’s voice if I heard it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 11:14 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

He's getting a lot of publicity, I'll say that for him at least:

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/white-sox-john-schriffen-tommy-pham-william-contreras.html

Didn't see it happen but my friend sent me this later after it happened and have been too busy to comment since. Schriffen just sounds like a dumbass on this call lol

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

The homerish thing about Schriffen that bothers me is not his calls. I grew up watching Hawk. It’s fine, whatever.

What bothers me is that he seems to barely know or say anything about the opposing team or players. It seems that, to him, every opposing player is just “some guy on the team that’s trying to beat MY team.” No acknowledgment of other stars or anything at all in a larger context than just White Sox baseball.

This makes the broadcast extremely one-sided and boring for me. But sure, let’s hear for the 70th time how Sheets is putting in more work in RF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know if you guys can tell, but there is 100 percent a restrictor plate that has been put in place, I think the producer is heavily involved on presentation now.  You could almost hear someone tell him to keep his s%*# together when Sosa hit his homer.

• Paper Bag 1

Schriffen is a clown and a huge dropoff from Benetti but yikes, what a hard first season to walk into.  

If you've been around for a while you can call it straight with some credibility.  But first year on the job, trying to please your bosses and the fans, it's a no-win.  

20 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

Schriffen is a clown and a huge dropoff from Benetti but yikes, what a hard first season to walk into.  

If you've been around for a while you can call it straight with some credibility.  But first year on the job, trying to please your bosses and the fans, it's a no-win.  

Honestly, what would he have to lose by calling it straight? Fake enthusiasm isn’t genuine. Sox fans, above all else, just want something real. Let your personality show, but don’t force it. Hawk was real (until recently, anyways). Benetti was real. Schriff feels forced and manufactured.

If he toned it down by like 10,000 and just delivered the game, he’d be fine. Just quit with that manufactured enthusiasm and stay invisible like a true Milford man.

52 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Honestly, what would he have to lose by calling it straight? Fake enthusiasm isn’t genuine. Sox fans, above all else, just want something real. Let your personality show, but don’t force it. Hawk was real (until recently, anyways). Benetti was real. Schriff feels forced and manufactured.

If he toned it down by like 10,000 and just delivered the game, he’d be fine. Just quit with that manufactured enthusiasm and stay invisible like a true Milford man.

His job.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Guessing Stone rides off into the sunset and Schriffen isn’t picked up by the new network.

Stoney is a treasure. I'm pretty sure he's cut his social media tweeting (X'ing) quite a bit. Hasn't he pretty much stopped posting on X? That should tell us something right there. He can't post anything about this team without getting hammered by the responses. I mean the team is completely irrelevant and no post would make any sense unless it's extremely negative. He can't do that and keep his job. Like after last night he could post how bad Kopech is, but didn't. Or getting on a guy like Maldy for his inept at bats. Or bury Vaughn. He can't do that. So I believe he's stopped tweeting for the most part.

Edited by greg775