Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

I also love the idea of Dan Proft listeners clutching their pearls, demanding absolute civility, and holding a goofball local sportsradio producer to the highest standards of decorum.  

I don’t even listen to Proft.  I have listened to The Score and Riordan is a douche.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Proft said Chicago is like a war zone with all the shootings.  Obviously it was hyperbole but not that far off.

It is though. He’s a bad faith actor of the highest order. 

7 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

And then Proft exploited his dead mother by continuously bringing it up for like 2 months trying to start a radio feud and had his nutjob followers try to cancel them.  It was one of the dumbest Chicago media stories ever. 

A week after my mother died, I had a coworker absentmindedly say "Your mom" to me in jest.  I shrugged it off because it was obvious he didn't know/forgot.  I didn't run around and tell everyone and try to get him in trouble.  Dan Proft is a total douchebag.  The fact that people would all of a sudden start defending Grifol because the messenger was in a silly twitter beef with that loser is insane to me. 

Edit:  I'm pretty sure at one point, Proft was trying to accuse Riordan of necrophilia as if that's what he meant by that dumb joke. 

Exactly 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No. But the things Proft said are much more offensive than someone saying they’d bang his mother. That’s like a 7th grade level dig. I hear it weekly. 

I guess Riordan’s boss thought it was wrong because he got a week suspension from it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

And then Proft exploited his dead mother by continuously bringing it up for like 2 months trying to start a radio feud and had his nutjob followers try to cancel them.  It was one of the dumbest Chicago media stories ever. 

A week after my mother died, I had a coworker absentmindedly say "Your mom" to me in jest.  I shrugged it off because it was obvious he didn't know/forgot.  I didn't run around and tell everyone and try to get him in trouble.  Dan Proft is a total douchebag.  The fact that people would all of a sudden start defending Grifol because the messenger was in a silly twitter beef with that loser is insane to me. 

Edit:  I'm pretty sure at one point, Proft was trying to accuse Riordan of necrophilia as if that's what he meant by that dumb joke. 

This sounds vaguely familiar for some reason...

48 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It is though. He’s a bad faith actor of the highest order. 

Exactly 

There are areas of the city that are incredibly violent, but they apparently don’t count because the city is so big and there are nice areas that barely see violence. So the people living in those nice areas can pretend the “war zones” don’t exist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have zero idea what they did, or did not do.  What I am saying is I am not willing to believe them simply because they have sources, anymore than I am willing to give credibility to others in similar spots.  Even being right in a particular case doesn't mean anything for other situations.

After watching the clip in question, where Speigal and Parkins discussed how the story came about and how they confirmed the story, I simply don’t believe they just made it up. Parkins has started getting national sports on Fox, he’s not going to run with this story, when his name is on the show, if there isn’t some confirmation behind it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

There are areas of the city that are incredibly violent, but they apparently don’t count because the city is so big and there are nice areas that barely see violence. So the people living in those nice areas can pretend the “war zones” don’t exist.

Of course there are. Guys like Proft aren’t interested in potential solutions or identifying the issues though. 

2 hours ago, fathom said:

He’s too busy destroying the organization, if you’re to believe Hawk

A few people connected to the organization have told me the same thing about Brooks, which is regrettable if true. 

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Of course there are. Guys like Proft aren’t interested in potential solutions or identifying the issues though. 

Neither was the previous mayor who made things worse, but it’s Proft’s job to come up with a solution?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

A few people connected to the organization have told me the same thing about Brooks, which is regrettable if true. 

What have you heard of Brooks? The fact that he allowed the GR naming rights deal is rough but I’ve had nothing but a good experience with the man…

Doesnt mean much though. ?

22 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What have you heard of Brooks? The fact that he allowed the GR naming rights deal is rough but I’ve had nothing but a good experience with the man…

My experience with Brooks has been the same. It's been a long while, but the couple times I interacted with him, he was great. Friendly, funny, and generous with his time. Hawk said something first, then the issues with Jason...I hope there is nothing to it,, but there certaintly appears there is.

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

My experience with Brooks has been the same. It's been a long while, but the couple times I interacted with him, he was great. Friendly, funny, and generous with his time. Hawk said something first, then the issues with Jason...I hope there is nothing to it,, but there certaintly appears there is.

I will echo that he seems to get the public facing side of the job, but the stories about him from different sources don't make him sounds like the same guy behind closed doors.

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We probably are seeing the difference of the client facing side and the employment side.  Brooks knows that any sort of bad fan interaction is bigger than the way he treats employees

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

We probably are seeing the difference of the client facing side and the employment side.  Brooks knows that any sort of bad fan interaction is bigger than the way he treats employees

This exactly.

As far as Proft goes.  NO part of the city is safe.  I don't know the solution to that but there are parts that are a literal war zone.  i live in the safest part and 18 shots were exchanged at 6:45 in the morning earlier this summer,

Speigs and Parkins are a good listen.  I disliked their coverage of Clevenger but other than that I appreciate them.  Bernstein takes the job too seriously and Rahimi sp? is trending that way.  Her and Holmes would be a great show.  With social media there is a lot of credible folks with credability issues.

Too much smoke around Brooks on this issue for it to not be an issue.

Schiffren is really bad at his job.  

Edited by Harry Chappas

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

He has always been very considerate with me and I consider him a friend, but I've heard from multiple people things that have gone on with the broadcasters ever before Jason, the naming rights controversy with a potential conflict of interest and other issues that gave me pause.

Personally I don't understand why he's decided to take those approaches, that doesn't seem to be like him given my interactions with him. 

• Thanks 1

Sully on the Sox including comments on the broadcast:

“He’s giving a very rosy assessment of things. It’s almost like an infomercial to him. He’d be good as maybe a talk show host in Dubuque, Good Morning Dubuque, or something. But he just doesn’t seem to have it as far as being a play-by-play guy in the major leagues. Maybe it’s difficult for him to cover a bad team. He’s never done this before.

“But there’s one thing about White Sox fans: they watched Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall in their prime when they were among the most critical announcers in the game. They expect, or they want, their announcers to be honest with them, and I don’t think they feel like they’re getting that this year.”

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/paul-sullivan-interview-chicago-tribune-white-sox.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“He’s giving a very rosy assessment of things. It’s almost like an infomercial to him. He’d be good as maybe a talk show host in Dubuque, Good Morning Dubuque, or something. But he just doesn’t seem to have it as far as being a play-by-play guy in the major leagues. Maybe it’s difficult for him to cover a bad team. He’s never done this before.

“But there’s one thing about White Sox fans: they watched Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall in their prime when they were among the most critical announcers in the game. They expect, or they want, their announcers to be honest with them, and I don’t think they feel like they’re getting that this year.”

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/paul-sullivan-interview-chicago-tribune-white-sox.html

The White Sox haven't had honest announcers in most White Sox fans lifetimes.  I don't think most Sox fans expect them, because they have no idea who they were or what they sounded like.

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think the reality is that most Sox fans never heard Harry when he was still sharp, during his St Louis and White Sox days. I'd even include his first 5 or 6 years with the Cubs.  After that he became a caricature of himself, the goofy drunk uncle that comedians imitated. Harry and Jimmy would never get a job nowadays on any MLB team. Tough assignment for Schriffen to have to announce this team his first year, but he just doesn't seem to have it anyway. I don't feel like Hawk was honest with us 95% of the time either.

Edited by ThirdGen
spelling