Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

1 minute ago, ThirdGen said:

I think the reality is that most Sox fans never heard Harry when he was still sharp, during his St Louis and White Sox days. I'd even include his first 5 or 6 years with the Cubs.  After that he became a caricature of himself, the goofy drunk uncle that comedians imitated. Harry and Jimmy would never get a job nowadays on any MLB team. Tough assignment for Schriffen to have to announce this team his first year, but he just doesn't seem to have it anyway. I don't feel like Hawks was honest with us 95% of the time either.

100%.  And most didn't really care.  Hawk was like your old uncle who occasionally went off his rocker, but mostly he was your family and you loved him.  And that's the announcer by and large Sox fans under say 50 remember.  They don't remember Harry, except maybe as a caricature of a goofy clown with the Cubs.

Harry and Jimmy used to sound like a Gamethread reads when the Sox were losing. They have some old games on youtube. Do yourself a favor when you have nothing to do and turn one on. You'll laugh your ass off. No way anyone could get away with that today. They were beloved by the fans.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1