Story on Sox trade possibilities...

40 minutes ago, kwill said:

I hear this. The optimist in me just believe they understand the value of cost controlled players. At some point you have to push your chips in the middle of the table. 

Their GM killed it by trading the lesser guys for Burnes. Granted, it's for one season but he still has plenty of bullets to make any trade he wants.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Are the Sox trading Robert because he makes a good salary? Are the Sox that desperate for working cash? Sad that most of the fanbase is probably OK with trading him. Seems that way.

To be clear, I would only trade either Crochet or Robert if I felt like we were getting the better end of the deal. The truth is I am bored with the White Sox so what else is there to do than come up with trade proposals. 

They are a hard watch/ follow right now. How many guys are honestly on the current roster that will actually be on the next playoff roster. Maybe 2? 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, kwill said:

To be clear, I would only trade either Crochet or Robert if I felt like we were getting the better end of the deal. The truth is I am bored with the White Sox so what else is there to do than come up with trade proposals. 

They are a hard watch/ follow right now. How many guys are honestly on the current roster that will actually be on the next playoff roster. Maybe 2? 

playoffs.jpg

6 minutes ago, kwill said:

The current roster as of today.

My guess would be zero.

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Today. 

Thorpe. Maybe Sosa?

Well it’s going to be 3-4 years minimum, so I went with the odds of Thorpe not making it. Would love to be wrong though. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned already 

This was from Chuck Garfeins podcast 

Garrett Crochet has the highest WAR (he didn't state bWAR or fWAR) of any player drafted in the 1st round of the 2020 draft

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already 

This was from Chuck Garfeins podcast 

Garrett Crochet has the highest WAR (he didn't state bWAR or fWAR) of any player drafted in the 1st round of the 2020 draft

I’m not sure it’s that surprising given he was called up the same year.

That said, that lack of development for crucial years for some players is brutal. Part of why I think the Sox strategy of giving that tax incentive to Cuban players who already missed a year in their emigration was a terrible idea.

15 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Their GM killed it by trading the lesser guys for Burnes. Granted, it's for one season but he still has plenty of bullets to make any trade he wants.

Padres did the same thing….

I suspect the same thing will happen if we trade crochet or Robert. We won’t get the elite. 
aces are so hard to come by. Really wish they would find a way to extend him, even given the risks.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I suspect the same thing will happen if we trade crochet or Robert. We won’t get the elite. 
aces are so hard to come by. Really wish they would find a way to extend him, even given the risks.

I honestly feel better about them trading Robert than Crochet. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I honestly think trading Crochet now would be a big mistake. Watching him pitch it's easy to spot

his enormous talent. Next July his asking price could be triple what it is today. If he does get hurt

again that;s the way the cookie crumbles.

1 minute ago, zisk said:

I honestly think trading Crochet now would be a big mistake. Watching him pitch it's easy to spot

his enormous talent. Next July his asking price could be triple what it is today. If he does get hurt

If his price today was cheap, we would have already resigned him.  The kid is two years and four months from free agency.  If he has made it this far without extending, I would bet money he has no intention of doing so right now.  If he has any sense at all, he is looking at the market for pitching and not being willing to give away free agent years unless he gets a lot more money in the next two years, plus some decent money in his free agent years.  If Tyler Glasnow is a $27.5 million pitcher for 5 years, Garrett has to be thinking the same thing of himself.

54 minutes ago, zisk said:

of course trading him would be a mistake, but what other option do you have when you're 100% not extending him because your owner is a cheap miser

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If his price today was cheap, we would have already resigned him.  The kid is two years and four months from free agency.  If he has made it this far without extending, I would bet money he has no intention of doing so right now.  If he has any sense at all, he is looking at the market for pitching and not being willing to give away free agent years unless he gets a lot more money in the next two years, plus some decent money in his free agent years.  If Tyler Glasnow is a $27.5 million pitcher for 5 years, Garrett has to be thinking the same thing of himself.

Even if he was cheap, I don't think he has any desire to take a team friendly deal and stay in this organization. I certainly wouldn't in his shoes.

2 hours ago, zisk said:

If BTV is right about his SV (61 million), and someone offers that, you have to sell high.

You could get two prime 30m SV prospects or 3 20s.

61m suggests that 2 Top 100s are definitely reasonable (and not back end Top 100s either...maybe two in the 40-50 range).

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Even if he was cheap, I don't think he has any desire to take a team friendly deal and stay in this organization. I certainly wouldn't in his shoes.

Yeah, and I wouldn't blame him.  They jacked around with him and his future for 4 years now.  Unless we front him a decent amount over what he would get in arbitration the next two years, I have yet to see a contract idea that matches his and the Sox considerations.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

DeJong's on track for a 30 HR season. There's got to be some value in that. 

And at least close to average fielding...not sure what his defensive fWAR or other metrics say.

To me, that's got to be more valuable than someone like Cavan Biggio who has been struggling for the last 2-3 seasons on offense (ofc, could say same about Paul).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And at least close to average fielding...not sure what his defensive fWAR or other metrics say.

To me, that's got to be more valuable than someone like Cavan Biggio who has been struggling for the last 2-3 seasons on offense (ofc, could say same about Paul).

DeJong is playing under his expected defensive abilities, but still better than average. 

Regarding Crochet, I would love to extend him if at all possible.  If that’s not possible, then we should 100% trade him at some point.  I’m still very skeptical that someone will give up a massive haul for him at this deadline for reasons stated repeatedly, but I truly hope I’m proven wrong.

If Getz trades Robert, Crochet, & Fedde, he could quickly add the positional talent needed to fix this rebuild in a couple of years.  Kopech’s numbers suck but I’m certain there will be teams interested in him.  Should also be get some decent lottery tickets for Pham, DeJong, Flexen, & Banks.  This may be the most exciting deadline we’ve had in franchise history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Regarding Crochet, I would love to extend him if at all possible.  If that’s not possible, then we should 100% trade him at some point.  I’m still very skeptical that someone will give up a massive haul for him at this deadline for reasons stated repeatedly, but I truly hope I’m proven wrong.

If Getz trades Robert, Crochet, & Fedde, he could quickly add the positional talent needed to fix this rebuild in a couple of years.  Kopech’s numbers suck but I’m certain there will be teams interested in him.  Should also be get some decent lottery tickets for Pham, DeJong, Flexen, & Banks.  This may be the most exciting deadline we’ve had in franchise history.

We need so many position players right now, especially ones with superstar tops.