Story on Sox trade possibilities...

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If his price today was cheap, we would have already resigned him.  The kid is two years and four months from free agency.  If he has made it this far without extending, I would bet money he has no intention of doing so right now.  If he has any sense at all, he is looking at the market for pitching and not being willing to give away free agent years unless he gets a lot more money in the next two years, plus some decent money in his free agent years.  If Tyler Glasnow is a $27.5 million pitcher for 5 years, Garrett has to be thinking the same thing of himself.

Given his injury issue - I do understand the concept of - get a big bag of money for your first real payday now…guarantee yourself generational wealth for life. 

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Given his injury issue - I do understand the concept of - get a big bag of money for your first real payday now…guarantee yourself generational wealth for life. 

Sure, but he could have done that at any point for years now and didn't.  And now he is only a couple of years away

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, but he could have done that at any point for years now and didn't.  And now he is only a couple of years away

I don’t think he was going to get paid a bunch over last couple years - he has barely pitched. Given what he has done this year someone would give him something north of 75M for his arb years plus two years. 

If you are still healthy - than follow that up with a Rodon like deal. 

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t think he was going to get paid a bunch over last couple years - he has barely pitched. Given what he has done this year someone would give him something north of 75M for his arb years plus two years. 

If you are still healthy - than follow that up with a Rodon like deal. 

4/75 would probably be in the ballpark of MV.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Regarding Crochet, I would love to extend him if at all possible.  If that’s not possible, then we should 100% trade him at some point.  I’m still very skeptical that someone will give up a massive haul for him at this deadline for reasons stated repeatedly, but I truly hope I’m proven wrong.

If Getz trades Robert, Crochet, & Fedde, he could quickly add the positional talent needed to fix this rebuild in a couple of years.  Kopech’s numbers suck but I’m certain there will be teams interested in him.  Should also be get some decent lottery tickets for Pham, DeJong, Flexen, & Banks.  This may be the most exciting deadline we’ve had in franchise history.

how many positional starters though, right now?

Montgomery, likely.   Not even sure the next guy in term of highest POTENTIAL...some lists say Ramos, but others might argue Zavala.   Both are far from "pencil that name into the 2027-28 line-up" status.

Gonzalez still looks as close to a plus utility guy without great speed or power than a frontline player.

Quero would probably be #2 as he's a catcher.

Wolkow based on power potential?

Sosa, Colas, both seem far from being good enough, at least at the present moment.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

how many positional starters though, right now?

Montgomery, likely.   Not even sure the next guy in term of highest POTENTIAL...some lists say Ramos, but others might argue Zavala.   Both are far from "pencil that name into the 2027-28 line-up" status.

Gonzalez still looks as close to a plus utility guy without great speed or power than a frontline player.

Quero would probably be #2 as he's a catcher.

Wolkow based on power potential?

Sosa, Colas, both seem far from being good enough, at least at the present moment.

I think Montgomery and Quero will be starters.  Ramos & Gonzalez both have shots to be them as well.  Hard to rule out Baldwin at this time based on his numbers alone.  I’m not really going to comment on the others because you can’t really plan for non-elite prospects below AA and most of the higher ceiling guys down there have a lot to work ok there.

But by trading the three guys I mentioned, you should be able to get six 50 FV (even there is a serious offer for Crochet) and above prospects and hopefully many of them are positional guys.  There is a path to build something here, but Getz has to hit no doubt home runs or else he should hold Robert & Crochet until the offseason.  Fedde will never be worth more than now and needs to be dealt this deadline.

19 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If his price today was cheap, we would have already resigned him.  The kid is two years and four months from free agency.  If he has made it this far without extending, I would bet money he has no intention of doing so right now.  If he has any sense at all, he is looking at the market for pitching and not being willing to give away free agent years unless he gets a lot more money in the next two years, plus some decent money in his free agent years.  If Tyler Glasnow is a $27.5 million pitcher for 5 years, Garrett has to be thinking the same thing of himself.

Perhaps, but the track record is still really short 

Sox should approach him about an extension and if the ask is reasonable a deal should get done

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Perhaps, but the track record is still really short 

Sox should approach him about an extension and if the ask is reasonable a deal should get done

I can't see a scenario where they haven't done exactly that.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I could actually see Jerry being spooked about contract extensions with young players due to Eloy, Moncada and Robert.

Sure, but more spooked when he sees Ohtani going on.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, but more spooked when he sees Ohtani going on.

Or Soto getting $655 million when Profar is outproducing what Juan and did for SD last year for peanuts comparatively.

Likely becomes All Star and goes back home to Arlington.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And at least close to average fielding...not sure what his defensive fWAR or other metrics say.

To me, that's got to be more valuable than someone like Cavan Biggio who has been struggling for the last 2-3 seasons on offense (ofc, could say same about Paul).

He would have a heck of a lot more RBIs if we would get runners on base for all of his XBHs.  50% of his hits are XBHs.  As long as he stays at .230-.240 or better, a contender who loses a middle IF is going to want him.

I like having him on the Sox since he is an ISU alum, but no idea if he would re-sign here next year.  

13 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I could actually see Jerry being spooked about contract extensions with young players due to Eloy, Moncada and Robert.

Which is terrifying. He won’t go over $100M. He won’t go more than 4 yrs for pitchers. Throw in no extensions for young players… they aren’t signing anyone or anything significant ever again.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Which is terrifying. He won’t go over $100M. He won’t go more than 4 yrs for pitchers. Throw in no extensions for young players… they aren’t signing anyone or anything significant ever again.

Danks is still the last four year deal, yes?   Before that, Buehrle...then Sale/Q extensions.

On 6/12/2024 at 3:55 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I meant his asking price in a trade. Of course, if JR sold the team maybe we could have nice things

and extend his contract.

Last night the Mariner broadcasters were saying that any team who trades for Crochet will simply add him to their bullpen because he is already close to his innings limit for this year.  That, of course, will give teams a reason to justify lowering his trade value.  I say if he needs to limit his innings, keep him and make him the Sox closer the rest of the year.  Let the powers that be see what a difference a dominant closer can make.  The Sox still have some decent Young starters without Crochet.  Then, bring Crochet back next year as your #1 and see what happens.  (P.S.)  If JR is willing to spend $, they could have a good turnaround season next year.  They can still add to their minor lesagues by trading Jiminez, Robert, etc....Keep Crochet!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

Last night the Mariner broadcasters were saying that any team who trades for Crochet will simply add him to their bullpen because he is already close to his innings limit for this year.  That, of course, will give teams a reason to justify lowering his trade value.  I say if he needs to limit his innings, keep him and make him the Sox closer the rest of the year.  Let the powers that be see what a difference a dominant closer can make.  The Sox still have some decent Young starters without Crochet.  Then, bring Crochet back next year as your #1 and see what happens.  (P.S.)  If JR is willing to spend $, they could have a good turnaround season next year.  They can still add to their minor lesagues by trading Jiminez, Robert, etc....Keep Crochet!

There's ZERO reason to trade crochet for anything but a complete kings ransom. He's showing, with his age and contract, that he's one of the 5 most valuable pieces in the game imo.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

I couldn’t disagree with this more, Crochet has another 2 years under contract.  Get a massive hall on this guy if you trade him!!!